Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Absolute Industry: Roundtable Label Discussion

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (11/24/10)
This past Sunday, I sat down with Max Bemis (Say Anything), Kenny Vasoli (The Starting Line/Person L) and Chris Conley (Saves the Day) to discuss the current state of the music industry and life after being a part of a major label. Head here to read the hour long discussion, and hit the replies with your thoughts. Where do we stand? What do bands have to do to succeed? Is this all forcing creativity and weeding out bad personal investments in bands that will just break-up in a year anyway? Is the idea of the rockstar dead among the underground, or is the underground the new bohemian rockstar? Will the majors eventually fold, and there will be a level playing field amongst any and all labels? Will we see the inevitable death of physical mediums and eventual death of digital purchases in the future?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50.
08:33 AM on 11/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Coolest thing ever.
08:56 AM on 11/24/10
TheDaveCarlson
Babe Lincoln
User Info.
Good interview. Definitely read all of it. They're right.. and this has happened for many years. If you think of this scene as the 'grunge' scene (i know it's not it).. that was taken over by majors as well. This goes back decades and I don't think it should be a shock to any bands.
09:05 AM on 11/24/10
rbf737
User Info.
That would be fantastic tho if all label funding for records disappeared and artists if they truly cared about putting out music had to struggle for it. I feel like it would weed out a lot of the types which should be weeded out.
09:22 AM on 11/24/10
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Amazing read! Those dudes are so smart. Especially Chris.
09:23 AM on 11/24/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Jesus what a read. Good one, though.
09:43 AM on 11/24/10
juice064
Gasoline will make it go faster
User Info.
Great interview.
09:43 AM on 11/24/10
FortheLP
User Info.
Awesome interview. The comments from Chris were completely on target, I think. If bands worry more about writing a record with staying power than being fashionable, they're headed in the right direction.
10:11 AM on 11/24/10
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
Good interview. Definitely read all of it. They're right.. and this has happened for many years. If you think of this scene as the 'grunge' scene (i know it's not it).. that was taken over by majors as well. This goes back decades and I don't think it should be a shock to any bands.
Very true, artists complain about "the system" alot, but it goes back so far that you just always have to be aware about it before you sign that record deal. I feel at the level these guys are on though, they can continue putting out music their fans will love; and continue to play mid-sized venues for the duration of their careers, which isn't too bad imo.

Btw, I saw the end of their tour in Austin on Sunday, and it was awesome seeing Say Anything with Kennedy and everyone was singing along just loving it....that's probably the best feeling in the world for an artist.
11:09 AM on 11/24/10
katiedontcryx41
we found our own reasons to sing
User Info.
"when you're a walking mannequin, thats misery"
12:10 PM on 11/24/10
evoltsujseilon
eyes closed and far away
User Info.
^ Yes. Awesome line.

Such a great read.

I also loved Max's line: "Kids will always want a band's t-shirt, unless there's some weird movement where that's not cool."

And the very last paragraph that Chris' said. So so true.
12:28 PM on 11/24/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Really good read. Some awesome guys.
12:35 PM on 11/24/10
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
I love how SA's label wanted them to have a look so they dressed up like their dads going to work. Nicely done guys.
12:47 PM on 11/24/10
the new dancer
User Info.
Maybe it's because I'm not a "kid" anymore but most of the band shirts I have been seeing lately I wouldn't be caught dead in. Or maybe it is the fact that I have questionable tastes in bands (sometimes it is just fun to go to a show and dance). The only shirt I thought about buying in the last year or two I talked myself out of it because I haven't worn band shirts in a while.

But the interview as a whole was great they really know what they are doing and how to say things intelligently so people don't mind listening to them. They made excellent points and didn't have to be dicks about it. Kudos to them.
01:41 PM on 11/24/10
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Nice.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music