Username
Password

03:27 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
Coral Springs, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Nothing really stuck with me much either. One song had a chorus I really dug but I can't remember which one it was. Should have stuck to the The Fame Monster style.
03:30 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
Correct. It is.
Laurieann Gibson, one of GaGa's collaborator, spoke about the music video for The Edge of Glory.

I love how the complaints in the thread are centered around the singles. The singles have no staying power, I don't see it having any lasting value, etc.
Maybe you want standout tracks that sound like it'll be a great pop record but I think all of them are in their own right. It's a unique record.
If I want a singles album, I'll go to Rihanna, Katy Perry, or Britney Spears for that.
GaGa has always been one to create an album and that's exactly what this is.

The whole record is centered around one statement: Born This Way.

Oh? So then why her most lauded release (TFM) an EP? A decent amount of her success is based off of strong singles, and not because she created a cohesive album. No one can deny that.
03:33 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Oh? So then why her most lauded release (TFM) an EP? A decent amount of her success is based off of strong singles, and not because she created a cohesive album. No one can deny that.

Because this time around she wanted to make a solid cohesive record that makes more sense as it's entirety then a bunch of gold singles. She can do what she wants. No one can deny that.
03:35 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
Because this time around she wanted to make a solid cohesive record that makes more sense as it's entirety then a bunch of gold singles. She can do what she wants. No one can deny that.

You missed my point entirely. The person I quoted claimed that she ALWAYS created cohesive albums. I claim that she didn't, and her initial success was in no real part built on that supposed fact.

I love how the complaints in the thread are centered around the singles. The singles have no staying power, I don't see it having any lasting value, etc.
Maybe you want standout tracks that sound like it'll be a great pop record but I think all of them are in their own right. It's a unique record.
If I want a singles album, I'll go to Rihanna, Katy Perry, or Britney Spears for that.
GaGa has always been one to create an album and that's exactly what this is.

The whole record is centered around one statement: Born This Way.
03:35 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Last two tracks are the best. A handful of others I enjoyed, and a whole lot of filler. Probably not going to hold onto this whole album.
03:36 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Protested Hero
Jon
Massachusetts
Male - 26 Years Old
I've only listened to this once, and it may change, but this album very much so pales in comparison to her other stuff. That "hugeness" is missing in the songs.
03:39 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
stevenisfading
stronger
Texas
Male
What are you talking about? I'm not speaking about TFM at all so I'm not sure what you are trying to infer from my previous post.
The Fame & The Fame Mons†er are cohesive albums. I felt all of those songs were really good or amazing and could've done well on radio.
With The Fame, she was writing from an outsider's perspective on what the "fame" is and then with The Fame Mons†er, now that she had "the fame" she was able to give a more insightful perspective on how it affected/did not affect her.
I do feel the same about this record. I just feel this record comes full circle when it comes to sticking to one message.

I feel Born This Way is light years ahead of any other pop album that has been released since 00s.
She's finally putting her money where her mouth is.
Her message lately has always been "be proud of who you are. don't change yourself to please others." Her music never really reflected that til this album.
03:41 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
London, ON
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
Maybe she'll put out another mind blowing EP by the end of the year or beginning of next year.

Man, I really need to listen to this.
03:43 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
What are you talking about? I'm not speaking about TFM at all so I'm not sure what you are trying to infer from my previous post.
As I said, GaGa has always been one to create an album* and this is no different. I think people are just assuming this album was going to have single/radio-ready tracks because of her "album of the decade" statement and they are not satisfied because they aren't.

I feel Born This Way is light years ahead of any other pop album that has been released since 00s.
She's finally putting her money where her mouth is.
Her message lately has always been "be proud of who you are. don't change yourself to please others." Her music never really reflected that til this album.

*By album, I mean a cohesive work of music. Singles that are put together on a CD is not an album.

I'm talking about the fact that she became insanely huge because of the popularity of her singles. TF and TFM were single driven albums. TF had 5 singles worldwide, nearly half the tracks. TFM had 3 singles, nearly half the tracks. All of those tracks follow the same basic formula.

People have a hard time reading in this thread.
03:43 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Nervous to listen to this. Opinions are all over the board on this one.
03:55 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
stevenisfading
stronger
Texas
Male
I'm talking about the fact that she became insanely huge because of the popularity of her singles. TF and TFM were single driven albums. TF had 5 singles worldwide, nearly half the tracks. TFM had 3 singles, nearly half the tracks. All of those tracks follow the same basic formula.

People have a hard time reading in this thread.
Uhm...that's kind of what happens with pop stars in case you don't know. Pop stars release songs on radio. They promote them via tv performances, radio visits, interviews, etc. and then the world rejoices. hahaha. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, honestly.
Also, The Fame had five singles but there are fourteen tracks. That is not half.
What "same basic formula" are you talking about?
Structurally? they are not the same. Lyrically? No. Vocally? No.
Yes, each song had infectious hooks. That's kind of why they are popular.
04:03 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
Uhm...that's kind of what happens with pop stars in case you don't know. Pop stars release songs on radio. They promote them via tv performances, radio visits, interviews, etc. and then the world rejoices. hahaha. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, honestly.
Also, The Fame had five singles but there are fourteen tracks. That is not half.
What "same basic formula" are you talking about?
Structurally? they are not the same. Lyrically? No. Vocally? No.
Yes, each song had infectious hooks. That's kind of why they are popular.

According to this, it has 12.

hook
verse
pre chorus
chorus
second verse
pre chorus
chorus
bridge
chorus

Apply a dance beat during the verse, and really let it rip on the chorus. This is the structure for creating great pop singles. Now listen, I've admitted to liking her older singles. They are really catchy and extremely well done, but they are singles. What I am trying to say is that she didn't create an album in the way that say, ISIS creates an album. She wrote a collection of songs that were packaged as an album. They are no different than a Rihanna album that get's 4 singles released off of it. No difference whatsoever.
05:32 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
London, ON
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
I just put on "Scheiße." Wow. If this is not a single, I will figure out a way to get close to her just to kick her myself.
05:34 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
Coral Springs, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
I think that was the one with the chorus I liked a lot.
05:48 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Lizbella
Female
Just about to listen after I've finished Loud Planes Fly Low. Hoping that it won't let me down!

I thought this was a letdown actually. off topic but are you doing the staff chat thing tomorrow?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos