Album Review
They Had Faces Then - 1977 EP Album Cover

They Had Faces Then - 1977 EP

Reviewed by
They Had Faces Then - 1977 EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 1st, 2011 and January 25th, 2011 on iTunes
Who?

They Had Faces Then are a four-piece band from New Brunswick, New Jersey. The band consists of: Ken De Poto doing the singing as well as playing guitar, Chris Seitz on guitar, Brian Goglia on bass, and Matt Harvey on the drums. They Had Faces Then play indie-rock, but add a flavor of their very own into the mix. They released their brand new EP titled 1977 on the first day of 2011 -- which was produced by Michael Oettinger (who also produced AP.net favorites Say Anything, Transit, and and Man Overboard).

How is it?

It is fantastic! What a great way to bring in the new year with some excellent new tunes from a band way under the radar (hopefully this EP will change things for them). The 7-track EP displays various sounds coming from the band. In some songs, there is a hint of an early 90's grunge/alt-rock sound that is raw and packed with emotion. On other tracks, you will hear a laid back indie-rock sound with some outstanding guitar riffage going on. In ''Carter,'' 1977's opening track, the band shows off that early 90's rawness that can easily resemble a mid-tempo Nirvana song. This track is only the beginning of the diversity you'll hear throughout They Had Faces Then's 1977 EP.

The verses in ''Something About Water'' are like the calm before the storm, while the chorus is filled with thunderous guitar riffs and a hint of urgency. It is sure to be one of the tracks on the EP that will instantly grab the listener's attention. The quirky and energetic ''You Shepherd'' is another huge standout track on the EP. The beginning of the song contains more impressive guitar riffs from the band and soaring vocal work from Ken De Poto. Matt Harvey also does an outstanding job on the drums in ''You Shepherd.'' You simply cannot deny the level of talent that They Had Faces Then possess.

The soothing and euphoric sounds of ''Pretty, Ugly People'' is absolutely perfect for a night drive on a cold night. The song is also a bit reminiscent of TDAGARIM/Daisy-era Brand New. 1977's closing track, ''Song 45,'' is a powerhouse of a song -- which doesn't always mean it's heavy and loud, but the song contains beautiful instrumentation and a nice build-up (and a build-down at the end, which compliments the song's impressive musicianship). The band couldn't have picked a better song to close out the EP with.

Overall, They Had Faces Then's 1977 EP is an above average piece of work. There are several different moods and sounds going on throughout the EP, but not to the point where it sounds like it's all cluttered up, it actually flows together nicely and remains consistent from beginning to end. 1977 is essential to have in your music collection this year, and I can honestly say that it is the best EP release of the year thus far and it's not going to be easy to top.

Recommended If You LikeGood music, indie-rock, Honestly I cannot even think of any bands to compare them to so you will just have to find out for yourself!

Tracklisting:1. Carter
2. Something About Water
3. You Without Teeth
4. Anchors
5. Pretty, Ugly People
6. You Shepherd
7. Song 45

Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from aradiantsunrise. You can see all of aradiantsunrise's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
04:34 AM on 01/11/11
cwhit412
User Info.
A Bryan review!
05:39 AM on 01/11/11
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Haha indeed! It's been a while.
10:59 AM on 01/11/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Haha indeed! It's been a while.
Are you publishing your writing anywhere else yet?
I'm sure you know my offer for you.
Talk to me on Facebook later.
10:01 AM on 01/14/11
kizznerdles
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can dig this for sure. Really good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music