AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Daytrader- Last Days of Rome EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Daytrader- Last Days of Rome EP

Reviewed by: Dbollus (01/26/11)
Daytrader - The Last Days of Rome EP
Release Date: January 18, 2011
Label: Run For Cover

Daytrader is one of the most recent additions to the current wave of pop punk influenced hardcore/ emo/ whatever bands. With a sound reminiscent of "Texas Is The Reason," diehard fans of the pop punk/ emo genre will be satisfied. After releasing their three song demo, news of a debut EP on Run For Cover quickly dominated conversation within the scene. Daytrader consists of members previously affiliated with various New York hardcore/ punk bands, most notably Latterman and Crime In Stereo. Their talent is undeniable and is most prevalent on their debut EP, titled The Last Days of Rome.

The EP kicks off with their strongest track to date, titled "Kill My Compass." Full of energy and heart, if you aren't hooked already, chances are you don't have a pulse. The lyrics are riddled with sincerity and emotion. Though they aren't anything special, they suit the song beautifully, and keep you singing along until the final chords.

The rest of the EP while not as energetic as "Kill My Compass," holds a lot of value in the "melodic punk" department. Catchy hooks and progressions are littered throughout, while maintaining that hint of pop punk that makes this EP so accessible. The closing track "Death Means Nothing To Men Like Me," is a return to that energy seen on the first track, but it never quite reaches that level of brutal honesty. This is by no means is a detriment to the song as it still remains incredibly emotional without becoming too familiar.

Overall, there aren't too many issues with this EP. It's solid and remains interesting throughout despite the comparisons many will draw to other bands in the current scene. Daytrader aren't doing anything special, but they're doing it better than most.

Recommended If You LikeTexas Is The Reason, Transit, Latterman, Crime In Stereo

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
01:20 PM on 02/02/11
DanPiazza
Tourist With a Typewriter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree that they didn't so anything extraordinary, but I've listened to this EP fifteen times or so since it dropped. It's too catchy to turn off.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums