AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Eyes Set to Kill - When Silence is Broken the Night is... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 5.75
Production 6.75
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 4.44
Lyrics 3.56
Production 3.81
Creativity 2.13
Lasting Value 3.38
Reviewer Tilt 3.69
Average: 38%
Inside AP.net

Eyes Set to Kill - When Silence is Broken the Night is...

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (02/23/07)
Eyes Set to Kill - When Silence is Broken the Night is Torn
Released July 6th, 2006
Unsigned

Simply labeled 3 Girls, 3 Guys, Post Hardcore Music on the top of any given band bio will surely turn some heads. With XY chromosomes dominating most band lineups, we get little to no female participation in today’s scene, save for the few backup singers or Bikini Kill of course. With Eyes Set to Kill, based out of Phoenix, the Purevolume-hopping crowd will get a chance to hear what comes from an inter-gender screamo outfit. Truth be told, aside from the lead vocals – When Silence Is Broken the Night is Torn comes off as every bit commonplace as any other post-hardcore six-piece.

With the band forming in 2004 gives reason enough to suspect they’d have seen the screamo scene crumbling around them. With each so-called “gut wrenching” release from this particular genre, we get closer to feeling the same persistently stated morose state-of-mind simply because these bands won’t shut the fuck up about it. I’d love to say that screamo is gone and dead, but with bands like Eyes Set to Kill adding only slight altercations to the sound (a la female vocals), it seems it’ll stay only too ingrained in the industry.

I hope one doesn’t completely write off Eyes Set to Kill at this point, god forbid I’m that persuasive. The sextet is talented in what they do; momentous bass drum backing, melody-conscious guitar work, and spectacular vocal accommodation. Leading off from the latter, it must be said that vocalist Lindsey Vogt must’ve been bred specifically for this band’s sound. She’s got some pipes (don’t get too ahead of yourself) and her voice is a staple to this album. Screamer Brandon Anderson, however, is a different story. Mr. Anderson’s strained vocals seem like a viable local band resume-sealer, but outside of basement shows his scream shows a severe lack of discipline. In a perfect world, every screamer could come off as well as Josh Head, but it’s not the case here. We’re not only fumbling around with screams, either. Lyrically When Silence is Broken The Night is Torn is LiveJournal worthy, but far from enlightening or unheard of in any way.

Instrumentally, this band could be considered on top of their game. Tracks like “This Love You Breathe” and “Darling” are top contenders in sealing Set to Kill’s notoriety among screamo’s best of the unsigned bunch. Throwing in the predictable “Interlude” instrumental isn’t a completely drained move, but the album lacks any discernible connectivity between songs for it to really be necessary.

Saying it’s “not my cup of tea” is a sorry reason for disregarding such releases, but in a way it applies here. Having heard most of everything there is to hear from screamo, I have a hard time placing Eyes Set to Kill as groundbreaking. They’re relatable and just rebellious enough to escape the genre’s blackhole of “suck”, however When Silence is Broken the Night is Torn still has hard time showing it’s got something new to say. In a few years we might see this collective go places, but for now it seems they’re still entrenched in the ordinary.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
10:44 PM on 02/23/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
I give them a 10 for their looks.
10:24 AM on 02/24/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Good review, however, this band doesn't sound like one I would enjoy haha
07:10 PM on 02/24/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I generally hate screamo, but I'm featuring these guys in something coming out I guess in May. The female vocals are really good and the male vocals need work. I think once they work that out, they'll do well if screamo is still alive then.
07:30 PM on 02/24/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
but I'm featuring these guys in something coming out I guess in May.

?????

PM me the details of this 'something'.
07:34 PM on 02/24/07
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
good screamo= city of caterpillar, pg. 99

ESTK make quite generic music in the scene nowadays.
however, I do like the female vocals. but once he starts screaming, I can't listen to it anymore.
I'm quite interested in how this band will do in the future.
08:28 PM on 02/24/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
good review. One thing. If I may.
Links are needed to where a person may check them out.
I tried the obvious of typing there band name after myspace.com but that wasn't it.
Thanks.
11:23 PM on 02/24/07
rickmo
Fear of growing older
User Info.
that screamer is a child hood friend...I'm happy to see some recognition, they work really hard.

seems like a fair review, im looking forward to hearing it for myself
11:25 PM on 02/24/07
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
good review. One thing. If I may.
Links are needed to where a person may check them out.
I tried the obvious of typing there band name after myspace.com but that wasn't it.
Thanks.

actually, that's what it is

http://www.myspace.com/eyessettokilll
12:02 AM on 02/25/07
drivethruaz
One badass bro
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://wwww.myspace.com/callingofsyrens
That is the really amazing band
ex-estk members and ex-the kerosene kids(season's company) member; Spencer is an amazing screamer
check them out
12:26 AM on 02/25/07
splitsecond
Augustine / Evan
User Info.
Excellent review. Pretty much sums up the state of the Phoenix scene right now. You can thank Tim Harmon and Hourzero Productions for continuing to milk this tired sound much further than it has been milked in most areas. Its sad really.
02:06 AM on 02/25/07
THECOVERUP
User Info.
Excellent review. Pretty much sums up the state of the Phoenix scene right now. You can thank Tim Harmon and Hourzero Productions for continuing to milk this tired sound much further than it has been milked in most areas. Its sad really.

Hour Zero is keeping Az's scene alive and gives kids chances to play good solid shows that will actually be promoted and do well. Which is hard to find a lot of places. They also donate
$1 from each ticket every single show to different charitys. Hourzero puts on all kinds of shows with bands that aren't screamo at all (Lydia, This Providence, Dear and the Headlights, Waking Ashland, A Change of Pace, Yellow the Vertical, Micah Bentley, Cecaelia...ect)He's doing positive things for music and our scene.

joco
02:39 AM on 02/25/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Note that to get to the band's Myspace, the URL ends in /eyessettokilll (with three L's).

http://www.myspace.com/eyessettokilll
03:15 AM on 02/25/07
MightyMaxxMiles
Lotus Milano
User Info.
really nice people. not a fan. I think they're pretty over-rated.
07:06 AM on 02/25/07
rickmo
Fear of growing older
User Info.

We're trying to change that!!!

www.myspace.com/iamthewalrusaz

Tim is gonna start helping us out, look out for us! Come to show!!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums