AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Typhoon - A New Kind of House Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.63
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Typhoon - A New Kind of House

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (03/08/11)
Typhoon - A New Kind of House
Release Date: March 8, 2011
Record Label: Tender Loving Empire

In today's age, with the Internet and stuff, people download music as fast as their computer lets them. A major way that music is different from the pre-Internet age is that singles aren't quite as important as they used to be. Of course you still have humongous hits on the radio, but people are more impressed by an overall album nowadays. However, something that hasn't changed is the power that a single song can have. Hearing Typhoon's beautiful "Summer Home" is more than enough to inspire a listener to check out the fifth release and second EP from Portland, Ore., natives.

Having already released two full-lengths, an EP, and a split 7", Typhoon clearly knows what it is doing. The fact that the band can even arrange organized music is an amazing feat by itself, as there are now 12 members of the group and maybe even more who contribute on A New Kind of House. On their last release, 2010's Hunger and Thirst, 17 individuals chipped in and recorded something for the record.

But the cohesion and fluidity of Typhoon's music is nothing short of stellar. Captivating to no end, "Summer Home" is the kind of song that inflects an emotion on a listener even upon first listen. The indie rock that introduces the song is something special on its own, with subtly piercing guitars and perfect drums providing the rhythm. After over 70 seconds of instrumentation, listeners are awoken from something of a trace by Kyle Morton's vocals. But it isn't a startling wakeup, as Morton's lyrics transcend the boundary of the music. It's almost like he's singing to you directly with his claim of, "I promise you I'm never giving up, never giving up." The song continues through layered waves of stunning instrumentation, featuring everything from horns to folky acoustic guitars to airy orchestration, and Morton's vocal delivery in the bridge are something to write home about.

Opener "The Honest Truth" and "Claws Pt. 2" are both highlighted by Morton's vocals, but it's important to not look over the musicianship on A New Kind of House. Whether intentional or not, Morton's vocals always seem to be at the forefront of things, but really not enough can be said about the instrumentation. It's nearly impossible to put into words, as so much is going on at once that there are multiple layers to digest. At the same time, the EP never comes across as a challenging listen, inviting in new soon-to-be-drooling-fans to experience Typhoon's brand of indie rock.

The piano-led closer, "Firewood," is a soft-spoken ending to an EP that will almost physically grab new listeners and turn them into fans immediately. It is with an urgent tone that I recommend A New Kind of House, not only to fans of Arcade Fire and The National and bands like that, but to every single person who reads this review.

Regardless of what you might be into right now, regardless of whether or not you have enjoyed the bands that I just mentioned in the past, it's important to listen to this EP because really it's not worth the chance of missing out. I'm not saying that this music is for everyone, but it easily and wholeheartedly has the capability to be adored by anyone. It's doubtful whether any other EP will come close in 2011; in early March, the bar has been set. Do what I did: stream it here, and be prepared to be jarred.

Recommended If You LikeThe National, Arcade Fire, indie rock, beautiful-sounding music.
Follow Me On TwitterJoe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker television, North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe.
Bare Essentials1. The Honest Truth
2. Summer Home
3. Claws Pt 2
4. Kitchen Tile
5. Firewood
Run Time: 22 minutes
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
04:01 AM on 03/08/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Okay, you got me. I'll check this out.
07:38 AM on 03/08/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I don't see my name in this review, or a note that says "I LOVE EDA" (yes, in caps). My banhammer is nearby.....
07:39 AM on 03/08/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Okay, you got me. I'll check this out.
About time. Sheesh.
08:14 AM on 03/08/11
drago_breath
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is fantastic
08:28 AM on 03/08/11
tottivillarossi
User Info.
I apologise. I meant no offence, sir.
08:31 AM on 03/08/11
Eva Friedman
I'm the girl who makes it out alive
User Info.
Great review, great album. Can't wait for this to show up in the mail
08:32 AM on 03/08/11
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
Awesome EP, glad I checked it out
08:49 AM on 03/08/11
sjb2k1
User Info.
08:58 AM on 03/08/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
EP is mad solid!
08:58 AM on 03/08/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
I apologise. I meant no offence, sir.
Haha. You're a sir! That's funny!

Great review, Thomas. I bought mine at 3am and I'm ready to play it all day, week, month.
10:18 AM on 03/08/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I don't see my name in this review, or a note that says "I LOVE EDA" (yes, in caps). My banhammer is nearby.....
Hahahaha ily
10:31 AM on 03/08/11
tottivillarossi
User Info.
Haha. You're a sir! That's funny!

I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or not ... it's hard to sense tone on a forum
05:06 PM on 03/08/11
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Great review.
11:10 PM on 03/08/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or not ... it's hard to sense tone on a forum
Lueda Alia is a women.
I was only kidding, man. Glad to see your support for this band!

As for the EP, I think that "The Honest Truth", "Summer Home" and "Claws Pt. 1" are nearly perfect songs. Their full-length is going to be extremely phenomenal.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums