AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Big D and the Kids Table - Strictly Rude Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.1
Musicianship 9.3
Lyrics 8.95
Production 9.55
Creativity 9.55
Lasting Value 9.6
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Big D and the Kids Table - Strictly Rude

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (03/20/07)
Big D and the Kids Table Strictly Rude
Release Date: March 20, 2007
Record Label: SideOneDummy

Let's get this out of the way right off the bat. If you hate ska, Strictly Rude, the newest effort from Boston stalwarts Big D and the Kids Table won't change your mind. However, if you love ska, this album will do wonders for those happy drunken sing-alongs when you're decked out in the black and white checkered suit. The band's last album, How It Goes, came out back in 2004, anchored by the musical elitist-trashing "LAX" and the punk-inspired "Little Bitch." For the new CD, they have gravitated back toward their roots, as well as the roots of the genre. For all who complained about the newest Less Than Jake record having a scarcity of horns, you can find them peppered throughout Strictly Rude.

No matter how fast or slow the songs, each is intricately layered with various horns, guitar, bass, and drums individually earning an opportunity to shine; the instruments aren't bled out of the mix, which gives the music further depth. The affably catchy "Noise Complaint" is undoubtedly a hit in the making as a party track. David McWane's unique vocal delivery flies along at warp speed atop the sauntering horn section. "Shining On" is a bit more laid-back, with a summery feel-good melody, and will quickly become a fan favorite. For the kids who are more into the dub-inspired songs, the title track will be right up your alley.

While songs such as "Deadpan Face" and "Snakebite" are strong instrumentally, they do tend to leave a bit to be desired from the vocals and lyrics. Additionally, "Hell on Earth" takes a long time to get going before launching into a thrashing, drum-heavy crescendo that carries nearly to the song's close; unfortunately it might be too little, too late to save the song. "Fly Away" is a bit more earth-bound with a saunter in its step as the band bounces back from an aforementioned misstep. As Strictly Rude winds to a close, most of the remaining songs are hits, with one notable miss. Among the former is "The One," a devilishly entertaining cut warning against the crazy women of the world. "Relocate the Beat," on the other hand, tries a bit too hard and it becomes very apparent. The chorus drones on, and the song sounds awkward on many levels.

Despite a handful of sub-par songs, this brand-new 15-song album from Big D and the Kids Table has plenty of upside. Stylistically, the album is far less chaotic than How It Goes, but the band incorporates just enough of all of their influences to offer a representative once-over of where the genre looks to be headed (and where it has been hiding all these years). Strictly Rude will brighten your day, sharpen your goofy dance moves, highlight those pearly whites, and pimp out your wardrobe. Isn't that what we all want in a ska album nowadays?

Buy Big D's Strictly Rude on iTunes

Track List01. Steady Riot
02. Noise Complaint
03. Shining On
04. Souped-Up Vinyl
05. Deadpan Face
06. Snakebite
07. Strictly Rude
08. Try Out Your Voice
09. Hell On Earth
10. Fly Away
11. Breaking The Bottle
12. Raw Revolution
13. Relocate The Beat
14. The One
15. She Knows Her Way
Listen to Big D and the Kids TableMyspace | AP.net Profile | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
08:38 PM on 03/20/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Nice review, I saw this and debated picking it up. Now I think i'll probably get it next time im at the store.
04:38 AM on 03/21/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
i like this one alot. good review
04:58 AM on 03/21/07
baptist_general
dishonest hero
User Info.
"each one is intricately layered with various horns, guitar, bass, and drums all earning an opportunity to shine"

what a silly observation to make about a 'band' who make 'music' and put it on 'record'..

still, good review! getting this later today hopefully...
05:02 AM on 03/21/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
"each one is intricately layered with various horns, guitar, bass, and drums all earning an opportunity to shine"

what a silly observation to make about a 'band' who make 'music' and put it on 'record'..

Some bands, for example, have a nonexistent bass player, or horns that you can barely hear, or such boring guitar tones that only (again, for example) the vocals will stand out over the entire record. The songs on Strictly Rude give each band member a chance to be in the spotlight because of the sheer number of instrumental bridges throughout the album.

That's what I was getting at.

(Edited the review a bit for clarity.)
05:04 AM on 03/21/07
Wobbie
Cold Chillin'
User Info.

Um... His point was that the instruments were intricately layered, and all flourished in the mix.
06:38 AM on 03/21/07
im 2*Sweet
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i have liked this album for awhile, and these are some of the funniest guys. totally worth checking out
07:08 AM on 03/21/07
ascitiesburn101
adam
User Info.
this singer is insanely on pitch live.
08:31 AM on 03/21/07
romantic rights
User Info.
Good review, but "Little Bitch" is less a punk inspired song and more a cover of The Specials... since it is a Specials song.
08:59 AM on 03/21/07
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
OMG THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST BIG D ALBUM TO DATE! This thing will never escape my CD player. It makes me wanna skank and drink all night. Not since Brand New's, TD&GARIOM has a record hit me so strongly. I can't stress how badly you all need to buy this. My fav tracks are; Shining On, Strickly Rude, Deadpan, Snakebite, and Raw Revolution. But, every song is killer.
09:28 AM on 03/21/07
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
such a good album
09:56 AM on 03/21/07
TonyValentine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love this album. deadpan face is a jam, but i think noise complaint should be the single.
09:57 AM on 03/21/07
ebullientsoul
User Info.
The only question you need to ask yourself is "Do you like ska?" If your answer is yes then this CD should be at the top of your list to buy.
10:36 AM on 03/21/07
trash zoo
User Info.
OMG THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST BIG D ALBUM TO DATE! This thing will never escape my CD player. It makes me wanna skank and drink all night. Not since Brand New's, TD&GARIOM has a record hit me so strongly. I can't stress how badly you all need to buy this. My fav tracks are; Shining On, Strickly Rude, Deadpan, Snakebite, and Raw Revolution. But, every song is killer.
I pretty much agree with you

I also think "Relocate the Beat" is one of the best songs on the album =/
12:51 PM on 03/21/07
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
this album is way too hit and miss for me.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums