AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Aberdeen City - The Freezing Atlantic Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 87%

Aberdeen City - The Freezing Atlantic

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (03/22/07)
Aberdeen City - The Freezing Atlantic
Record Label - Dovecote/Red Ink
Release Date - October 25, 2005/August 8, 2006

Who:

Boston-based atmospheric rock quartet whose debut album The Freezing Atlantic was first released in 2005 before being re-released in 2006. The album was recorded by legendary producer Steve Lillywhite (U2, Morrissey, Talking Heads) and Nick Hard (The Bravery, Jesse Malin, The Church) and was well received by the Boston music community.

How Is It?

The Freezing Atlantic is an album that is both dark and brooding, yet somehow every melody and note seems to latch onto your subconscious forcing you to hum along for days on end, especially the Interpol-esque “Another Seven Years”. The band’s first single, “God Is Going To Get Sick Of Me” probably got most of its exposure due to the video Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls made for the track. Aberdeen City play a brand of indie rock that would fit in snuggly between any indie fans copies of their Editors, Interpol, and Stellastarr* discs. The band had the luxury of working with a talented producer on their debut full-length, and the production work on this album really takes the music to an entirely new level. Flawless production, stunning musicianship, and multi-faceted lyrics make The Freezing Atlantic one of the best indie albums you may have passed over in 2006. Do yourself a favor and put down your shiny new 2007 releases and discover what you missed from last year, so that you may prepare yourself for the second full-length the band is currently working on.

http://www.myspace.com/aberdeencity

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:27 PM on 03/22/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this description kind of reminds me of Junius, and I love Junius, so i will def. check this out.
02:31 AM on 03/23/07
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
I've seen this record so many times and I've always been curious what they sound like. After reading this review, I'm definitely going to check this out...especially since I'm a huge Interpol fan.

Great review!
05:55 AM on 03/23/07
gnp8472
sever your leg please
User Info.
i love aberdeen city. I saw them in september at this place called BU Central in Boston (literally the stage was only a foot off the ground), and they kicked ass.

good review, amazing band.
10:28 PM on 03/23/07
krishasaheadake
Don't start no shit wont be no shit
User Info.
Aberdeen City is one of the most underrated bands of last year. I dont know what it was but people just didnt catch on to this record.
09:25 AM on 03/24/07
straylightkid
SHARKBITEFACE
User Info.
this disc went right over the music scene's head. hoppus featured it on one of his podcasts, i think.
amazing band, amazing cd.
11:06 AM on 03/24/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I am glad to see everyone is enjoying this band, they deserve all the support. I agree with all the statements about them being underrated, this band should be getting more exposure than what they are.
06:37 AM on 04/29/07
mrahmad666
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
checkin this out
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music