AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kaddisfly - Set Sail The Prairie Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.42
Musicianship 9.13
Lyrics 8.96
Production 9.13
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Kaddisfly - Set Sail The Prairie

Reviewed by: Praetor (03/23/07)
Kaddisfly - Set Sail The Prairie
Hopeless Records
March 06, 2007

Listening to this album, I could not help but feel a sense of sadness and despair for what today’s musical scene has become. In a world where generic and bland music trumps original and creative music, where “all the girls pose the same for pictures / all the boys have the same girls’ hair,” creative expression through music has become virtually nonexistent. So instead of reinventing the wheel for the umpteenth time, Kaddisfly has decided to deliver an epic, flowing release, different from anything you’ve ever heard before.

One thing that became apparent on this album, is that Kaddisfly obviously put every song on the album for a purpose. They didn’t say, “Oh, well, we wanted this to be a fourteen song record, and we only have twelve, so let’s throw some random words together for ten minutes, and see how that works out.” Every song on the album works for the overall mood.

The album is divided into two parts. The first part represents summer, not only in the tracklisting, but the overall mood of songs #2-7. They’re more upbeat and relaxed. Songs #9-14 represent winter, and are moodier and more tense than the other tracks. This is just another reason why Set Sail The Prairie is not your run-of-the-mill album.

Another thing I want to make clear is that I come into listening to Kaddisfly with little to no knowledge of their previous work. They have 2 EP’s and an LP, excluding their latest, and one is called Buy Our Intention, And We’ll Buy You A Unicorn. That’s it. So if you’re looking for a comparison to their previous work, you’re reading the wrong review

The opening track, “Summer Solstice,” opens with Chris Ruff’s soothing voice, smoothly delivering every note with precision and expression. This track, even though it’s only a bit more than a minute and a half long, serves as a perfect example of what’s to come – smooth, calming melodies, and enough eccentricity to make The Sound Of Animals Fighting jealous. The song then effortlessly fades into one of my favorite tracks on the album, “Campfire.” The album shows off Ruff’s range, and fades out with his voice, emotionally crying out “We’ll never die / we’ll merely disappear.” “Waves” brings to the table a beat that you can’t resist dancing to. “Harbor” is quite possibly the strangest track on the album, sporting offbeats, falsettos, and quirky lyrics.

As the months get colder, the tone becomes tenser, as evidenced in the next track, “Birds.” Overall, it’s moodier and darker than the songs we’ve previously heard. “Clouds” just continues the trend. “Winter Solstice” is a quite pleasant piano interlude, ending with a surprisingly dissonant outro, fading into the intro of “Snowflakes.” The beginning and the end of the song are the heaviest sections on the album, and the entire song as a whole is very gloomy. Next is my favorite track, the awe-inspiring masterpiece titled “Via Rail.” Everything about this song is spot on – the vocals are soaring, and the lyrics paint a beautiful picture, full of scenery and all encompassing beauty.

Well, while the snow’s melting, so is the tension in the air, which becomes apparent in songs like “Mercury” and “Clockwork.” “Forest” clocks in at over eleven minutes, and is a journey, indeed. An epic ending to an epic album.

In closing, I urge you to go, and at least listen to the album. It’s up for streaming on their PureVolume. You won’t be let down.

ListenPureVolume (full album stream)
AbsolutePunk
MySpace

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
07:35 AM on 03/30/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
good review. i thoroughly enjoy kaddisfly, and after consuming buy our intention... i feel that this album does not have quite the same umpf as the predecessor. not a bad thing as that was an amazing album,and this is just a very good album. I must say though, I would give their lyrics a higher score as in my opinion it is their strongest asset, and their words are utter poetry. but nonetheless i'm ranting. solid review
07:00 AM on 03/31/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Thanks. I'm gonna go check out Buy Our Intention now. Haha.
01:57 PM on 03/31/07
After Hours
and Monday, too
User Info.
Thanks for the review! I really like this album; I love the shifting of the mood.
01:23 AM on 04/06/07
TheHeretic
User Info.
Good review. Fantastic band, fantastic album. I just can't possibly believe you gave the instrumentation a 7.25..... It's amazing!
01:13 PM on 04/07/07
Praetor
User Info.
Good review. Fantastic band, fantastic album. I just can't possibly believe you gave the instrumentation a 7.25..... It's amazing!
Well...the only reason I did that was that the instrumental parts were nothing overly complicated, and didn't really have a chance to show off.

And plus, I'd seem really, really biased if I gave my second review over a ninety (my last got a 91%. Haha.)
01:16 PM on 04/07/07
Praetor
User Info.
Thanks for the review! I really like this album; I love the shifting of the mood.
That was definitely my favorite part, too. Thanks for all the positive comments, guys!
06:22 PM on 04/17/07
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
I saw these guys open on the Take Action Tour, and just had no idea what I was getting myself into.

They're great, on and off the stage. They truly just want their music to be heard. Their cds are $5 at concerts!! They don't shove it down your throat either like I've seen others do, and those ones were selling their cds for twice as much, or more than Kaddisfly was selling them. If I were a Christian, i'd say they were Godsent.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests