Username
Password
Canada News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Canada
Inside AP.net

Canadian Music Round-Up (04/10/11)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (04/10/11)
This week's Smallman Records Retrospective comes from Propagandhi. The rest of the regular Canadian Music Round-Up can also be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:01 AM on 04/10/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Canadian Music Round-UpSmallman Retrospective:

I’ve been working on a retrospective for Smallman Records since as you may already know, the label closed its doors last year. If you want the long story about why I'm doing this, head here. But all you need to know is that I’ll be sharing little chunks from my project in this space. Today's excerpt comes from Propagandhi's Chris Hannah:

“We always tell people when they ask about Smallman that we really liked the fact that they were within choking distance. Just the face to face aspect, that’s hard to put a price on it,” says Hannah. “Smallman worked harder and got impressive results for the small pool of resources they had. If you go to bigger cities with media attention, there’s such a big difference with personalities. We all come from rural Manitoba. We’re used to being more humble, not to generalize totally.”

Living so close to the label also meant Propagandhi got to attend many of the so called Beers of the World parties. Basically according to Krause, people had to bring beer from somewhere else and explain why they brought it.

“I challenged Jason to a fight once and I beat him up. It’s on video, I have it somewhere on my computer, he doesn’t want people to see it,” says Hannah.

“His side is always that he beat me, but it’s a lie,” says Smith. “Finally we agreed and we went out on the lawn, I never was in a fight before. In my interpretation, I beat me him for awhile because I’m like twice the size of him. I grabbed him and leaned on him until he fell over. And then I let him up and he jumped on my back and grabbed me by the throat and started choking me. And at that point, he was beating me because he was choking me to death. We rolled over laughing and flattened this guy’s drain pipe so I had to go to RONA and replace it the next day.”

[button=http://smallmanrecords.com/mp3/Propagandhi_Humane_Meat.mp3]Propagandhi - "Human(e) Meat"[/button]

Check Out The Previous Excerpts Too:

Layaway Plan
Guy Smiley
Choke/Passenger Action
Another Joe
Moneen
Sixty Stories
Selfmademan
Small Brown Bike/Broadway Calls/Misery Signals
The Reason
Comeback Kid/Sights & Sounds
Ghosts of Modern Man
Sylvie
Our Mercury
Daggermouth
Sick City
Carpenter
Grave Maker

-----------------------------------------------------
In case you missed them during the week, here are the posts made about Canadian content:

City and Colour
Posts New Song

The Details Release Date

Library Voices Sign to Nevado Records and Post a New Song

Mockingbird Wish Me Luck Joins Sharks on Cross Canada Tour

Protest the Hero AbsolutePunk.net Interview

Rush Reissue

Silverstein Vinyl

Simple Plan Interview / Behind the Scenes of Their Upcoming Music Video

Tokyo Police Club
Interview

------------------------------------------------------
Additional News:

USS will release USS Approved on May 3.

----------------------------------------------------
Additional Music and Videos:

Memphis' video for "I Am The Photographer" can be seen here.

The Golden Dogs' music video for "Long As You Like" can be seen here.

You can hear a new 3 Inches of Blood song titled "Lords of Change" if you like them on Facebook.

------------------------------------------------------------
Reviews That Were Posted This Week:

Protest the Hero - Scurrilous (Drew Beringer)

Silverstein - Rescue (Corey Hoffy)

------------------------------------------------------------
If you’d like to submit news for this round-up, email me at deborah.remus@absolutepunk.net or send me a PM with “Canadian Round-Up” in the subject line.
09:47 AM on 04/11/11
xxbecky
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fuck yeah <3
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music