Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 245
03:19 PM on 04/16/11
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
Long time no talk, David. Anyway, the reason I quoted you was to point out that we're still on AP. People here are stupid. Especially on the front page.
yes indeed they are. And the whole "let's complain about rap lyrics because they're offensive" shtick ignores a few key issues. Most rap lyrics, even in shit rap songs, are more complicated and linguistically interesting than pretty much every pop--punk band out there. AND the complaints about sexism, being offensive, etc. ignore the figurative ways in which lyrics can be read (and should, if we listen to scholars like Gates). So, yeah, it's dumb.
03:28 PM on 04/16/11
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
yes indeed they are. And the whole "let's complain about rap lyrics because they're offensive" shtick ignores a few key issues. Most rap lyrics, even in shit rap songs, are more complicated and linguistically interesting than pretty much every pop--punk band out there. AND the complaints about sexism, being offensive, etc. ignore the figurative ways in which lyrics can be read (and should, if we listen to scholars like Gates). So, yeah, it's dumb.
Also, plenty of the bands that AP loves have very sexist lyrics. Take This To Your Grave is primarily about wanting to see a girl who has wronged you die, Tell All Your Friends isn't as explicit yet it follows the same suit of putting down a girl for a whole album. Double standards are rife.
03:34 PM on 04/16/11
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
Also, plenty of the bands that AP loves have very sexist lyrics. Take This To Your Grave is primarily about wanting to see a girl who has wronged you die, Tell All Your Friends isn't as explicit yet it follows the same suit of putting down a girl for a whole album. Double standards are rife.
Exactly, though I would argue there is a historical and cultural basis for the way language is used (and it is definitely used non-literally) that allows one to say that rap is, in some sense, LESS offensive than that kind of pop-punk, self-indulgent misogyny. But I just recommend everyone read "The Signifying Monkey" by Henry Louis Gates for more on that.
03:42 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
Both are annoying genres
shut up.
03:43 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
what are you talking about? how can you call genres with artists like Kanye West, Eminem, R Kelly, Chiddy Bang, and Odd Future boring?!
03:44 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
why do you assume he knows nothing? i actually know a lot about rap and r&b and I too find them annoying.
i doubt you know "a lot". back it up.
03:47 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
Actually, I know a lot about hip-hop both mainstream and underground. I used to really enjoy the music until I grew up and out of it because of all the repetitiveness I was seeing in it. Now I listen to a lot of Pop-Punk, ain't that a hoot! Hate Soulja Boy. Loved Illmatic for a long time. Being from the south I was surrounded by a lot that growing up. Z-Ro, UGK, Chamillioaire (I had almost every Mixtape Messiah), yeah pretty much anyone in S.U.C. Was a big Jay-Z fan too. Kanye West (I revisited College Dropout just the other day when I was nostalgic; pretty genius record) I don't know. I don't feel like establishing my street cred right now :)
if you're talking quality, pop-punk doesn't even come CLOSE to hip-hop. there are no pop-punk artists that will ever reach the prolific heights seen by artists such as Kanye, Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z, etc. Yes there are some horrible hip-hop artists (Soulja Boy, Lil B, Flaka, etc), but there are also shitty pop-punk groups (Forever the Sickest Kids, We The Kings, etc).
03:50 PM on 04/16/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I've never thought of R&B as more mature than hip hop. I find the stuff Kanye, Clipse, Nas, MURS, etc way more mature than guys like Trey Songz or Chris Brown.
03:51 PM on 04/16/11
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
if you're talking quality, pop-punk doesn't even come CLOSE to hip-hop. there are no pop-punk artists that will ever reach the prolific heights seen by artists such as Kanye, Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z, etc. Yes there are some horrible hip-hop artists (Soulja Boy, Lil B, Flaka, etc), but there are also shitty pop-punk groups (Forever the Sickest Kids, We The Kings, etc).
Fuck you Based God is the shit
03:52 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
I love them both too, i just don't want this really good thing pop-punk has going for it right now to get too stale, then we'll get an overpopulation of pop-punk bands that all sound the same.

That's why i included the example of metal-core, a few years ago, it was fun and new and exciting, now every metal-core band that's left sound exactly the same and every breakdown has already been heard and it's just dead, it's all because everybody used the same formula.

With hip-hop every rapper's voice is different, flow, lyricism and themes differ from rapper to rapper, that's what makes it exciting. You can almost always recognize who's rapping in a song without looking at the name.

If there's one thing that needs to be stepped up in the rap game is production, beats are getting boring and stale.
i don't think the production is getting stale. listen to artists like Kanye West, Chiddy Bang, XV, Theodore Graham, Big Sean, etc to understand that. Producers like NoID, Kanye, Xaphoon Jones, and MOD SUN are bringing incredibly original sampling and production to hip-hop.
03:52 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
Fuck you Based God is the shit
lmao
03:53 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
WTF?

lol Lex Luger's beats can be similar but there's something about them so big that's makes the people that rap over them go hard as fuck. (See: B.M.F.) That shit was the stand out street record of the fucking year in 2010.

Even the stand out track in Snoop Dogg's fucking horrible as fuck album is produced by Lex Luger.

Doggumentary is the worst album of 2011 so far and that track shines out of all of them.
Lex Luger is horrible.
03:59 PM on 04/16/11
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
In the post after criticising Lil B you up MOD SUN? Fuck outta here
04:01 PM on 04/16/11
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
In the post after criticising Lil B you up MOD SUN? Fuck outta here
wait you actually like Lil B? cause that's pathetic. MOD SUN has a message, and some pretty good songs. He's not my favorite rapper, but he does provide some pretty original production.
04:04 PM on 04/16/11
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
wait you actually like Lil B? cause that's pathetic. MOD SUN has a message, and some pretty good songs. He's not my favorite rapper, but he does provide some pretty original production.
MOD SUN's message is "Let's all be douchebag hippies and smoke weed. Yaaaayy" Oh and saying it's pathetic to like any artist is, in itself, pathetic. You wanna talk originality? Listen to Rain in England and get back to me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos