Password

Album Review

Commerce - It’s Hard To Fight A Trend Album Cover

Commerce - It’s Hard To Fight A Trend

Reviewed by
CommerceIt’s Hard To Fight A Trend
Record Label: None
Release Date: April 19, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In honor of Pedro the Lion’s It’s Hard To Find A Friend, Commerce’s latest EP, IT’s Hard To Fight A Trend, is just a fun EP as a treat for fans. Consisting of two covers, one new songs, and a mix and remix, this EP will without a doubt please fans of this small indie group.

The only true new track, “The Same Time,” follows the expected path from The Things I Say Vs. The Things I Mean, Commerce’s previous effort. Matthew Little’s caressing vocals shine over soft guitar plucks, until the middle crescendo allows the track to peak before mellowing out again. The more upbeat rendition of “Need Heart Rate” will prove to be a fan favorite, as it was one of the highlights of their sophomore record.

The “When You Were Young” cover definitely takes a different approach at The Killers hit. Little’s vocals don’t resemble Flowers to any degree; however, this seems not to be much of a problem here, as Commerce make this track there own, even adding a unique harmonica. They also do a grand job of “The Long December,” as the soft nature of the track fits Commerce’s style ideally.

Sadly, “The Same Time” remix sort of defeats the emotional mood of the EP, as the remix really does the original track no justice. That said, for just a fun EP, It’s Hard To Fight A Trend will surely tide fans over until next time.

Recommended If You LikeThe Things I Say Vs. The Things I Mean; covers and remixes

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. The Same Time
2. When You Were Young (The Killers Cover)
3. Need Heart Rate (Alternate Mix)
4. A Long December (Counting Crows Cover)
5. The Same Time (Germany Germany Remix)

Commerce are:
Matthew Little – Vocals, Guitar, Keyboard, Omnichord
Ethan Henley – Bass
Tim Rufenacht – Guitar
Josh Shores – Drums, Percussion

Myspace

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version