Password

Album Review
In Fear And Faith - Symphonies EP Album Cover

In Fear And Faith - Symphonies EP

Reviewed by
In Fear And FaithSymphonies EP
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: May 3, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
A different side of In Fear And Faith, Symphonies is a collection of piano renditions of seven of their songs. The main change in the sound – aside from the instruments of course – is the fact that screamer Cody Anderson is no longer in the band. As a result, Scott Barnes has taken over the screaming duties, in addition to clean vocals, in what is actually a pleasant change. The instrumental “Novus Initium” sets the tone for the EP, with an eerie machine-tinged opener. The piano version of these tracks often creates a new atmosphere, wholly prevalent on the haunting rendition of “The Taste Of Regret” as the resonating screams of “worth it all!” are chilling.

Here, tracks such as “Bones” are actually better than the original, as I’m one of the people who didn’t like the general sound of Imperial. Perhaps this ideal change is due to Barnes’ cutthroat screams, with each one becoming more haunting than the last. On the other hand, his clear vocals have clearly grown in the past year, evident on the crushing rendition of “The High Life,” where his screams also shine as he yells “just because I’m not smiling doesn’t mean I’m about to go!” at full force. The fan favorite “The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions” is much different than the original, as the more relaxed, mellow, and atmospheric hue add to the emotional impact of the track, even more so than on the original.

Lastly, “Silence Is Screaming” is as soft as it gets here, proving an entirely different view of In Fear And Faith, as the track is solely propelled by the range of Barnes above calming piano play. As the EP closes, the resulting outcome is a different view of In Fear And Faith, as it sets them aside from others in their genre by a landslide. Even if you, like me, were lukewarm about Imperial, this symphonic EP may change your mind about the band – in a good way – as it’s the most creative offering yet.

Recommended If You Likepiano renditions; In Fear And Faith; Rise Records

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Novus Initium
2. Bones (feat. Nick Martin)
3. The High Life
4. The Taste Of Regret (feat. Tyler “Telle” Smith)
5. The Solitary Life (feat. Caleb Shomo)
6. The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions (feat. Craig Owens)
7. Silence Is Screaming

In Fear And Faith are:
Scott Barnes – Vocals
Tyler McElhaney – Bass
Ramin Niroomand – Lead Guitar, Piano
Noah Slifka – Rhythm Guitar
Mehdi Niroomand – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
06:54 PM on 04/26/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
do you think the band did this as a quick cash-in?
06:56 PM on 04/26/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
No
07:06 PM on 04/26/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Does Caleb Shomo provide cleans on The Solitary Life?
07:23 PM on 04/26/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Does Caleb Shomo provide cleans on The Solitary Life?
Yeah/screams. They aren't bad, surprisingly.
07:46 PM on 04/26/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Yeah/screams. They aren't bad, surprisingly.
Interesting haha looking forward to hearing them then
08:18 PM on 04/26/11
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
band sucked live in 09
08:18 PM on 04/26/11
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
...pointless comment to make
08:36 PM on 04/26/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I loved Imperial, obviously. I've been very impressed with what I've heard from this so far. I'll probably write a review for this as well. This band just has never failed to impress me.
09:40 PM on 04/26/11
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
The screaming on Imperial was a huge turn off.

Might try this.
10:58 PM on 04/26/11
RaminIFAF
User Info.
Far from it...we even funded most of this ourselves. It was just something we REALLY wanted to do, thought and talked about it for years...and once I shattered my foot and was forced to stay home for 2 tours and MONTHS.

I wish such a thing as a "quick cash in" existed in this industry, haha ;)
11:15 PM on 04/26/11
savestheday3x3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Excited for this... but more excited to see how the new album will sound without a second vocalist.
11:57 PM on 04/26/11
SourStuff
Five Body Blade Vocalist
User Info.
I have to admit I was not fan of IFAF but after the new single on AltPress... I wanted to hear this and I wanna hear Caleb because he is a great young talent in the scene.
02:29 AM on 04/27/11
TA814
User Info.
Can't wait for this, the songs I've heard so far are amazing renditions. Scott's clean vocals are amazing, and I gotta say I'm impressed with his screams as well. I'm more a fan of softer, more clean vocals anyways. So this is nice to hear. Every member in this band is a talented musician and I think a lot of people underestimate them. Ramin's a badass on keys btw.
04:53 AM on 04/27/11
TelleTWA
The Word Alive
User Info.
It was an honor to be on another album by IF&F. I love these guys and I know how hard Ramin and Scott especially worked to make this something epic, and something that would stand out in our scene. I think it takes balls to go from being a heavy band to releasing an entire EP opposite of what has made your band up to this point. I'm proud of the guys and know that no matter what people might say, this is one of many reasons this band has always stood out to me. Love you guys :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos