AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hyland - Weights and Measures Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Hyland - Weights and Measures

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (04/27/11)
HylandWeights and Measures
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: May 3, 2011

“I write music about life. God, relationships and love are all things I’m passionate about and am deeply invested in. If I go through it, it comes out in my music.”

Sure enough, Jon Lewis stays true to his own words on Hyland’s debut record, Weights and Measures. The perfect fit for Tooth & Nail records, Hyland’s sound is a mix of the aggression and soaring hooks of Anberlin and Ivoryline. Picked up by Aaron Sprinkle himself, these guys have delivered one of the most buoyant, upbeat records of the year, as each hook soars. Now that Anberlin have moved on from T&N, perhaps Hyland can fill the void along with acts such as Ivoryline and The Almost.

The opening “whoa-whoa” of “Jumping The Gun” begins Weights and Measures, setting the tone for the fast-paced ride. The opener cements the aforementioned words of Lewis as he exercises his uplifting vocals through religious lyrics. Co-written with and featuring Anberlin’s own Stephen Christian, “The One That Got Away” has Anberlin written all over it, making it sure to become a fan favorite. On the other hand, “This Distance” and the intricate “Crying Out” mellow provide a calming change to the record, demonstrating a softer side to Hyland, as an acoustic guitar takes the lead.

The blistering “Fireworks” is as high-voltage as it gets here, with thick palm mutes paving the path behind the singing of “and still we say in God we trust / set our hearts to self-combust” on this socially conscious endeavor. Choir vocals enlighten the end of the cheery “Heart To Life,” arguably one of the most optimistic tracks on the record. A religious number at its finest, the final “Never” could be played on nearly any Christian rock radio station. Similarly, “Downhill” parallels “Never,” for the track proves to be one of the most diverse numbers on the record, another different view of Hyland, with the vocal range of Lewis shining.

However, as the record fades, the main standout is without a doubt “Coast To Coast." Poignancy bleeds throughout this track, as Lewis sings “the fear inside has me paralyzed / but this I know / that all that’s left is love / and who’s to say we don’t have it made.” The chilling final minute of the track is easily the best period on the record, as the musicianship of the band is top notch. The soaring vocals, pounding drums, and slick guitars create the climatic experience of "Coast To Coast," cementing it as the most memorable track on the record.

There’s no doubt that Hyland have found a perfect fit for their sound on Tooth & Nail Records. Sure to grow as they tour and meet with similar artists, their future couldn’t be brighter. For only a debut record, Weights and Measures has clearly set the proper path for the group. If they can continue to branch out – as accomplished on “Coast To Coast” – Hyland could possibly become a band like Anberlin in the near future.

Recommended If You LikeAnberlin; Ivoryline; Sent By Ravens; Tooth & Nail Records

Listen ToThe One That Got Away; Fireworks; Coast To Coast

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Jumping The Gun
2. The One That Got Away
3. This Distance
4. Crying Out
5. This Love Is Free
6. Fireworks
7. Coast To Coast
8. Heart To Life
9. Til Death
10. Downhill
11. Desperate Man
12. Never

Hyland are:
Jon Lewis – Vocals, Guitar
Ben Early – Keys, Vocals, Guitar
Mitch Hansen – Lead Guitar
Steve Weigel – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
04:46 AM on 04/28/11
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Gosh, it's weird that these guys are getting so much exposure now. Good guys. I'm definitely going to listen to this at some point.
04:50 AM on 04/28/11
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I honestly did not know this was scheduled to come out. Have T&N done much promotion? Anyway, an Anberlin sounding band can't be too bad so I might check them out.

I hate taking issue with a review because I think, on the whole, they are very well written on this site. However, the fact that you wrote in the first paragraph
Quote:
A more religious number
and
Quote:
A religious number at its finest
in the third, irked me slightly. It's not a bad review though; please don't think I am saying that.
04:54 AM on 04/28/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I honestly did not know this was scheduled to come out. Have T&N done much promotion? Anyway, an Anberlin sounding band can't be too bad so I might check them out.

I hate taking issue with a review because I think, on the whole, they are very well written on this site. However, the fact that you wrote in the first paragraph

and

in the third, irked me slightly. It's not a bad review though; please don't think I am saying that.
Yeah, I guess that is a bit redundant. Will change, thanks.

I don't think they're doing too much promotion, cause the only reason I even found out about it was when I was browsing their release date section and saw it ha
07:37 AM on 04/28/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I'll look into this. However, the last T&N release (I Am Empire) disappointed me, so let's hope I enjoy this. Usually love T&N's bands.
12:47 PM on 04/28/11
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
Great bunch of guys, they deserve every bit of success they get.
01:50 PM on 04/28/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I'll look into this. However, the last T&N release (I Am Empire) disappointed me, so let's hope I enjoy this. Usually love T&N's bands.
I dislike IAM as well
06:52 PM on 04/28/11
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i cant wait to buy this
08:12 PM on 04/28/11
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I only wish (like many of t&n's other new artists) that this band got some more exposure and promotion.
01:16 AM on 04/29/11
_thisisme*
www.killferelli.com
User Info.
Heard 2 songs from their debut which sounded awesome!.. This makes me even more excited to pick up the record
12:19 PM on 04/29/11
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
Probably the best T&N release this year so far
01:56 PM on 04/30/11
Wolf I Am!
AWW spelled Wolf Am I!
User Info.
real good group of dudes! also really good live so go check them out.
12:24 PM on 05/02/11
ChrisBurnsRED
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I lvoe Tooth and Nail but get annoyed with the number of bands that waste their resources. Hopefully these guys won't pull that on them.
05:12 AM on 05/04/11
Kaku
Listener of the Year
User Info.
I have just seen/heard on yt their album teaster from T&N and thought it might not sound to bad. So after reading this review, especially the RIYL, I can't wait to give them a try. I mean Anberlin, Ivoryline and SBR, all band I do like very much. And SBR being one of the few really good new assignments I got some hopes for Hyland.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests