Username
Password

09:04 PM on 05/14/11 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
Post enjoyable quotes from books you are currently reading. This is kind of a mash-up of the typical favorite quotes and currently reading threads:

Quote:
Like Fredric, Flaubert is condemned by his historical situation to a life of monotonous tourism amid industrial monuments that mean nothing to him
-Marxism and Form
09:33 PM on 05/14/11 
User Info.
dtrzcin
Choose thyself!
Glass City
Undeclared
Quote:
What we do not need is a global culture industry in which Disney imagineers and executives turn children's desires and dreams into fodder for advertisers and corporate-controlled media.
-Henry Giroux, The Mouse that Roared
01:32 AM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
Scrandon
Undeclared
I've been seeing a bunch of quotes around lately, this was a good idea.
03:37 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 19 Years Old
Quote:
No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable.
Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations. I feel like some people who believe in his ideals choose to admit this one
06:15 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
Quote:
Stupidity in the kitchen; woman as cook; the terrible thoughtlessness with which the feeding of the family and the master of the house is managed! Woman does not understand what food means, and she insists on being cook! If woman had been a thinking creature, she should certainly, as cook for thousands of years, have discovered the most important physiological facts, and should likewise have got possession of the healing art! Through bad female cooks—through the entire lack of reason in the kitchen—the development of mankind has been longest retarded and most interfered with: even today matters are very little better. A word to High School girls.

-Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Enjoyable for its sheer ridiculousness.
06:25 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Quote:
That is my principal objection to life, I think: It's too easy, when alive, to make perfectly horrible mistakes.
-Deadeye Dick
06:32 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
I've been rereading Yevgeny Zamyatin's We--which is my absolute favorite book ever. It comes off as very scatterbrained at first, but after rereading it several times, I've come to realize that it's quite the opposite: it's a brilliant satire on Stalinism and the revolutionary propaganda in Russia at the time and its delivery--using mathematics and arithmetic to create metaphors--it's really compelling:

Quote:
Isn't it clear that bliss and envy--they are the numerator and the denominator of the fraction known as happiness.
07:02 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
sammyboy516
Male - 22 Years Old
Quote:
Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.

- Thomas Paine
07:19 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
There was a fish in the percolator
Twin Peaks
Male
Quote:
You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.

- L. Ron Hubbard
08:19 PM on 05/15/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Reading Thomas Paine, one can see that Glenn Beck clearly has not.
07:03 AM on 05/16/11 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male - 28 Years Old
Quote:
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. Nor is this a source of dismay; a lost cause can be as spiritually satisfying as a victory.

-Robert Heinlein
07:44 AM on 05/16/11 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
Quote:
Psychoanalysis was from the start, still is, and perhaps always will be a well-constituted church and a form of treatment based on a set of beliefs that only the very faithful could adhere to, i.e., those who believe in a security that amounts to being lost in the herd and defined in terms of common and external goals.

from Anti-Oedipus
10:12 PM on 05/17/11 
User Info.
dtrzcin
Choose thyself!
Glass City
Undeclared
Quote:
Thus, in the soul of man there is a justice whose retributions are instant and entire. He who does a good deed is instantly ennobled. He who does a mean deed is by the action itself contracted. He who puts off impurity thereby puts on purity. If a man is at heart just, then in so far is he God; the safety of God, the immortality of God, the majesty of God, do enter into that man with justice. If a man dissemble, deceive, he deceives himself, and goes out of acquaintance with his own being. Character is always known. Thefts never enrich; alms never impoverish; murder will speak out of stone walls. The least admixture of a lie--for example, the taint of vanity, any attempt to make a good impression, a favorable appearance--will instantly vitiate the effect. But speak the truth, and all things alive or brute are vouchers, and the very roots of the grass underground there do seem to stir and move to bear your witness. For all things proceed out of the same spirit, which is differently named love, justice, temperance, in its different applications, just as the ocean receives different names on the several shores which it washes. In so far as he roves from these ends, a man bereaves himself of power, of auxiliaries. HIs being shrinks...he becomes less and less, a mote, a point, until absolute badness is absolute death. The perception of this law awakens in the mind a sentiment which we call the religious sentiment, and which makes our highest happiness. Wonderful is its power to charm and to command. It is a mountain air. It is the embalmer of the world. It makes the sky and the hills sublime, and the silent song of the stars is it. It is the beatitude of man. It makes him illimitable.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Divinity School Address"
07:47 AM on 05/18/11 
User Info.
Healthy Scratch
cowards only try it
Quote:
I like to picture jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt.
- john c. reilly
03:21 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 25 Years Old
Quote:
Thus the entire question of man is displaced in turn: it is no longer, as with knowledge, a matter of the complex relation between fiction and human nature; it is, rather, a matter of the relation between human nature and artifice (man as inventive species).

- Gilles Deleuze, "Hume" from Pure Immanence: Essays on a Life

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version