AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Joy Island Parts With Ryan Dunson

Posted by - 08:18 AM on 05/16/11
Joy Island have parted ways with lead singer Ryan Dunson (Rookie Of The Year). A statement from the band can be found in the replies.

Edit: Read a statement from Ryan in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
08:19 AM on 05/16/11
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
no it can't
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
StatementFans and friends, Recently there have been some things going on behind the scenes of Joy Island that weren’t made public before now. We were put in a position where we had to make a really difficult decision, pretty immediately. Because of these internal issues, we have made a decision to change the direction of the band, and with that decision comes a change in structure.

We want to see this project flourish and be the best it can be, and unfortunately that means moving forward with someone else filling the male vocal position. Ryan Dunson will no longer be singing for Joy Island. Although Ryan is a talented artist, the rest of the band got to a point where we couldn’t be satisfied being a side project.

While it is unclear who will be taking over the male vocal spot in the band, Johnny, Lisa and Bri will continue with the band and keep bringing you music and updates as we solidify the new format. We will be recording a full-length record in the coming months. We will be continuing the Spring Fling Party Tour with a fill-in singer.

We hope any bridges that have been burned because of past issues will be rebuilt and we look forward to making positive connections in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience that has been caused because of Ryan, and we ask kindly to move forward with a clean slate.

Thank you for your continued support for Joy Island.

contact us at joyislandmusic@yahoo.com

Ryan Dunson's Statement
I don't generally enjoy Pop Top 40 music much, but thought it would be fun to try something different for a while while Rookie is taking time off of touring to write a new full length record. However, after many disputes with the label, with built tension within the band, Joy Island for me, started to run out of steam. After sitting down as a band, and as friends, we came to the agreement that my heart truly lies with Rookie and the obligations that need to be filled concerning it, and they didn't want to view JI as simply a "side project". I currently own the right to the "Joy Island" brand as well as all of the songs and concepts behind it along with my friend Justin, and am working out a deal with the remaining members to be able to take over it, and continue in whatever direction they choose. We are all friends, and they know that regardless of what happened on the business end of this project, that I am here to answer any of their questions and that Bri will still be crashing on my couch on a regular basis when she is home! HAHA!

Ryan Dunson
woominlee2
Always a student of life.
User Info.
Waiting for the statement. :)
woominlee2
Always a student of life.
User Info.
There it is.
08:24 AM on 05/16/11
rhetoricjams
User Info.
Word. Rookie of the Year can't win for losing...they're popular but not at all. I bet they got no cash. Kind of sucks. he shoult of put ROTY down for a bit ((since people have kinda quit caring)) and ran with this to garner new fans/interest. sigh.
08:27 AM on 05/16/11
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Probably banged someone's gf.
08:27 AM on 05/16/11
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
Rookie is insanely better than Joy Island. i'm quite happy about this news actually. i'm so sick of dancy pop bands. He's a great song writer. he needs to stick with what he does best.
08:30 AM on 05/16/11
seanthethief
User Info.
Word. Rookie of the Year can't win for losing...they're popular but not at all. I bet they got no cash. Kind of sucks. he shoult of put ROTY down for a bit ((since people have kinda quit caring)) and ran with this to garner new fans/interest. sigh.

Yeah, artists should totally ditch a band if fans are losing interest. Makes perfect sense.
08:41 AM on 05/16/11
Jason1234
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ABOUT TIME that kid is not a good fit, who looks in his 30 somethings whos whole purpose for life is trying to get into young girls pants. That being said i do like rookie songs and he should still do that. Joy island pretty badass
08:43 AM on 05/16/11
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
User Info.
I'm sorry, but who is this band? I went on YouTube and it is a dancey pop band (fine, whatever), but my question is does the 2nd female do anything in the band? The videos I saw she just dances with tight gold pants on?
08:47 AM on 05/16/11
Jason1234
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Joy island is cool as shit, Saw them in FL. So is Rookie. I didnt think ryan was good for the pop dance thing they look like they are going for.. Happy for both parties.
PS RYAN IS WAY TOO OLD FOR JOY ISLAND ha
08:48 AM on 05/16/11
MusicLovesMeBac
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The blonde chick is the keyboard player and sings and the other girl is the DJ.
09:12 AM on 05/16/11
OnTheByas
User Info.
Not surprised by this at all. My old band opened for ROTY last summer, and Ryan was total douche. He was extremely unfriendly, and did nothing but flirt with girls who appeared to be about 15, all night.
09:17 AM on 05/16/11
ashtreeclose
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Probably banged someone's gf.
this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles