1. Please introduce yourself and your role in the band.
My name is Dave and I am the vocalist/rhythm guitarist.
2. You released your EP, Of Nightmares recently. Can you give some details on it? Of Nightmares is our latest effort. It was written and recorded at Soundmine Recording Studio in East Stroudsburg, PA. It has definitely been the most mature record in our 6 year career. For me personally, "Of Nightmares" is my release. I was going through a very depressing time which made it hard for me to focus. The lyrics are a direct reflection on my life, how I was feeling, and where my head was at. It's obvious that the songs all have a common theme - "hurt." However, each song stands on its own and deals with different subjects. What makes this record different is definitely our unique style and our hooks. We focused on presenting our ideas in a way that could relate to everyone.
3. Chicago is a very diverse and established music scene, how has it helped the band develop into its current sound?
Chicago is a very intense place to grow up as a band. Like every city, there are so many bands in so many different generes which of course makes it hard to stand out. We really needed to do the work by being out there, playing shows, promoting on rainy nights outside of the Metro or Double Door, spending countless hours practicing, and learning from every experience. If you have good songs, a unigue style/sound and make yourself noticed, you'll have your fans/friends for life.
We are always developing our sound. That is a never ending process. The constant need to write and grow as a band is a natural progression. The difference from where we were in 2005 as song writers and where we are today is night and day. The way we look at song writing now is a whole different animal. We are coming up from the Chevelle/Disturbed scene with bands like Janus and Seven Day Sonnet. Right now we are writing songs we want to write and loving every minute of it.
4. In your bio, you describe one song as "This haunting song gives a glimpse into the mind of a tortured soul who craves and feeds on other people's pain." What's the background to the song?
Yes you are talking about our single "Monster." That song deals with being someone who has a lot of demons and is always going to be alone - at least in their head. They are always searching for ways to get their head out of water but its the monster that they have become that prevents them from being what society says is normal. The idea for Monster comes from a personal relationship that failed and obviously had a big effect on me emotionally. I think everyone has been there.
5. You recorded your album in East Stroudsburg, PA, not far from where Breaking Benjamin is from. Did they help you out at all with your record?
I wish I could say they did. That would have been a big deal for me personally and an amazing opportunity. Breaking Benjamin has been a huge influence on me and our song writing. We rock everything from Saturate to Dear Agony in the van when we are on tour.
6. Who is Soundmine MusicWorks? How have they helped you out?
Soundmine MusicWorks is our label started by our producer Dan Malsch (Framing Hanley, Tantric). Dan has supported us since we recorded our first record "Victims Like Me" with him in 2007. The label has started their heavy promotion/press for "Of Nightmares" and started pushing "Monster" to active radio stations across the country. We have some big things on the horizon.
7. What are your plans for the rest of 2011?
Currently we are getting ready to go on tour with Filter, Saliva, and Anew Revolution for Alternative Revolt Magazine and Kush Kills Clothing's "Under the Skin of Angels Tour" starting July 17th. Hopefully we will remain on the road for the remainder of the year and most of next year until we are ready to record our next record. We will be shooting our music video for our single "Monster" with in the next month or so as well.
8. What bands should we be checking out right now?
You should be checking our friends in Janus, Seven Day Sonnet, Hierosonic, Action Blast, Surrender the Fall, Red Novella, AM Taxi, Villain Vs. Villain, Makeshift Prodigy, 3 Pill Morning, Black Days Down, and Losing Scarlet
9. Thank you for your time, anything else you would like to say?
We look forward to seeing everyone on the road this summer when we head out with Filter, Saliva, and Anew Revolution starting on July 17th!! See you soon!!