Album Review

Darker My Love- Darker My Love Album Cover

Darker My Love- Darker My Love

Reviewed by
Darker My Love- Darker My Love
Label: Dangerbird Records
Release: 8/22/06

Who?

A California five-piece comprising members of several different now defunked Nor-Cal bands. The lead singer, Tim Presley, was a former member of the Nerve Agents, along with drummer Andy Granelli, who also played in Nerve Agents as well as The Distillers. Rounding out the group are bass, a rhythm guitar player and, as of late 2006, an organ player. With almost 175,000 plays on their myspace and a new record in the works, Darker My Love a poised to rock the psycho world.

How Is It?

I really wanted to get this review done by 4/20, but it just couldn't happen. Reason being, this band is the perfect band for your next head trip. Echoing post-punk guitars complete with sprawling effects arch through the groups debut, taking the listener on a journey that seems only accomplish-able when under the influence. Presley's lead guitar is sufficient, adding grinding leads to the blunted effects of rhythm guitarist Jared "The Sandwich" Everett's axe. The album is largely just one big track throughout, one atmospheric vocal leading into another, until the listener is halfway through the album and they didn't even know it. Presley's vocals have a lazy, The Strokes-ish feel to them, and his lyrics are almost unintelligible with reverb and backing vocals mashing together to make Presley's voice seem almost like its own instrument. Standout track is the third track from the cd, "Helium Heels," which starts off with a big guitar chord progression into the lazy vocals, and the last track, "Summer Is Here," which rocks with a fun Rooney vibe that brings the listener to to So-Cal to have some fun with the boys of DML singing the chorus, a simplistic but effective repeat of "Summer is here."

While the album isn't really an experience in the vein of bands like My Bloody Valentine are in the realm of psychadelic rock, Darker My Love are on the right track to assuming a cult status in the weed-soaked culture of psychadelic rock as So-Cal fans' 'little awesome band.' So the next time you sit down to take a good trip through your head, you might want to pop in Darker My Love's self-titled debut: they just might come along with you.

The Snozzberries Taste Like Snozzberries!: My Bloody Valentine, Rooney, the apex of your high.

http://www.myspace.com/darkermylove
This review is a user submitted review from gnp8472. You can see all of gnp8472's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:27 PM on 04/30/07
Neal_OConnor
User Info.
Actually, they're members of now defunct Nor-Cal bands, and they relocated to SoCal. Nerve Agents and The Distillers are from NorCal.
08:24 AM on 05/09/08
OKComputer1016
this is success-this is how we feel
User Info.
You are about 100% correct in spotting the My Bloody Valentine influence - it's pretty overt. What you effed up is the rating! How's this not a 90%? *Clenches fists and basks in own opinion.*

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos