AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

MTV News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Blog-Favorite Indie Bands and Their "Sophomore Slumps"

Posted by - 08:26 AM on 04/25/07
Read an article here on how blog-favorite bands (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Arcade Fire) have suffered from a (sorta) sophomore slump.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
08:26 AM on 04/25/07
Jared Kaufman
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The only sophomore slump I really agree with here is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, because I really haven't been able to get into Some Loud Thunder, or even give it nearly as much time of day, like their self-titled, debut album. Bloc Party and The Arcade Fire both released tremendous follow-ups to Silent Alarm and Funeral (respectively), however. Some may feel they're not better than the previous release, but they're still solid releases that should help fans maintain faith in each act. I really wasn't ever into Arctic Monkeys and haven't even listened to their new disc yet, so I can't comment on that.
08:35 AM on 04/25/07
AEast317
x x x
User Info.
i'll pass on clap your hands and arctic monkeys.
i do think bloc party improved. i think neon bible isnt as good as funeral though.
08:50 AM on 04/25/07
Smash Adams
Calc u later
User Info.
is mtv really able to discuss these bands?
08:54 AM on 04/25/07
imarealboy0303
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

ahhaa i completely agree.

maybe clap your hands slump comes from their not so good second alubm. just an opinion. I feel bloc party and arcade fire grew musically but yet again it is based off "blog fav. bands" so who knows what that accounts for.
08:54 AM on 04/25/07
FrancesdaMute
...is fucking dead.
User Info.
the first 4 tracks of a weekend... are very VERY good. The rest of the album kind of dies after that. There is no way you can call it a sophomore slump album, that's just ridiculous.
08:59 AM on 04/25/07
Smash Adams
Calc u later
User Info.
ahhaa i completely agree.

maybe clap your hands slump comes from their not so good second alubm. just an opinion. I feel bloc party and arcade fire grew musically but yet again it is based off "blog fav. bands" so who knows what that accounts for.

I don't really like CYHSY, and I thought all the other albums were good but I only own neon bible from the list
09:02 AM on 04/25/07
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Whatever helps Clap Your Hands Say Yeah from releasing more music, I am all for.
09:03 AM on 04/25/07
Trainsaw
User Info.
I thought Weekend in the City was leaps and bounds above Silent Alarm, i dunno what they're talking about
09:03 AM on 04/25/07
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
ha, good point.

I felt like Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire come out with albums that were just as good as the first albums they made. I liked the new Bloc Party more than the Silent Alarm.
09:08 AM on 04/25/07
goughjustin
Justin Gough
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well i dont think you could say that the arctic monkey are in any sort of slump... they album was just released in the UK and they are predicting that it sold 85,000 units the first day....

and in the UK it only takes 100,000 units to go gold and 300,000 to go platinum... that is like a band in the United States selling 425,000 Albums IN THE FIRST DAY...how is that slump?
09:11 AM on 04/25/07
theguiltyfew
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah i dont know how the arcade fire and bloc party made that list. i dont think there is any kind of sophomore slump with these two. maybe mtv is calling it a slump cuz they arent on TRL? haha.
09:11 AM on 04/25/07
jjisthereason
User Info.
I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty psyched about the the Shane Douglas metaphor.
09:14 AM on 04/25/07
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
What a terribly written article.
09:15 AM on 04/25/07
James Shotwell
User Info.
the CYHSY album was dissapointing to me, even though i didnt totally love the first one, this one was just not good. The production left some to be desired

dont really listen to bloc party

I've not really heard funeral, but i love neon bible.

The arctic M<onkeys are the shit, the new album's production level is 3x above the last one, but its still raw and good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos