AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.66
Musicianship 8.72
Lyrics 8.81
Production 8.86
Creativity 8.44
Lasting Value 8.05
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and...

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/20/11)
Touche AmoreParting the Sea Between Brightness and Me
Record Label: Deathwish Inc.
Release Date: June 7, 2011

Touche Amore have truly found their place in the hardcore/heavy scene within the past two years. Their debut record, To the Beat of a Dead Horse, turned a lot of heads, as did their following splits with La Dispute and Make Do And Mend. Now, sticking to the same critically acclaimed sound and formula, Touche Amore haven’t wasted any time cranking out their sophomore record, the cathartic Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me. Recording the record with no technical effects and in just five days with Ed Rose, Parting is raw to the bone. The result of this is one of the most endearing and truly therapeutic records of the year, as Jeremy Bolm leaves everything on the table – and then some.

Containing a total of 13 tracks, this record clocks in at just twenty minutes, with each track being quick and to the point. Touche have really refined their sound this time around, both vocally and musically. Bolm’s screams sound better than ever, still containing the raw edge only more refined. The musicianship also excels here; Clayton Stevens and Nick Steinhardt shred track after track (“Crutch” and “Home Away From Here” come to mind), and Elliot Babin controls every bang of the drums, as heard throughout “The Great Repetition” and the chaotic “Uppers / Downers.” Tyler Kirby’s bass also backs the sound of the record.

Lyrically, Parting the Sea contains the most sincere and candid writing of Touche Amore to date. On the opening “~” Bolm bellows, “If actions speak louder than words / I’m the most deafening noise you’ve heard” over some of the best instrumentation on the record. “Late nights and all night drives are reminders why I’m alive” is roared on the nomadic “Pathfinder” over thick guitar riffs, another straightforward look into Bolm’s vulnerable mind. It’s moments like this that prove how truly unlocked Touche Amore are with their music, bearing it all to listeners, truly holding nothing back.

Touche Amore also experiment with varying song techniques throughout the record, evolving their instrumentation throughout “Sesame” and incorporating piano on the breathtaking “Condolences.” On the latter, Bohm screams, “If you fantasize about your funeral, I understand / I’ve been there before” over a soft piano melody, creating the most haunting moment on the record. As the record closes with the optimistic “Amend,” it’s clear that Touche Amore really have grown within the past two years between their debut record and now. It’s evident from the musicianship, from the instrumentation, from the lyrics, and from the vocal delivery that Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me is a record of progression and refinement; released halfway through 2011, it will go down among the best of the heavy hitters this year.

Recommended If You LikeTo the Beat of a Dead Horse; La Dispute; Defeater; Make Do And Mend

Listen ToPathfinder; Sesame; Face Ghost

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. ~
2. Pathfinder
3. The Great Repetition
4. Art Offical
5. Uppers / Downers
6. Crutch
7. Method Act
8. Face Ghost
9. Sesame
10. Wants / Needs
11. Condolences
12. Home Away From Here
13. Amends

Touche Amore are:
Jeremy Bolm – Vocals
Clayton Stevens – Guitar
Nick Steinhardt – Guitar
Elliot Babin – Drums
Tyler Kirby – Bass

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
10:09 PM on 06/20/11
THE_SICKEST
beer
User Info.
love this record! been jamming it constantly since it dropped.
10:15 PM on 06/20/11
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
This is one of my favorite records of the year so far.
10:17 PM on 06/20/11
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
~ is such an awesome track.
10:30 PM on 06/20/11
onautolux
CC
User Info.
great record, interested to see where they go next.
10:39 PM on 06/20/11
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
"~," "Pathfinder," "Face Ghost," "Wants/Needs," and "Home Away from Here" are excellent. My only complaint about this album is the songs are too short.
10:42 PM on 06/20/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review, great record.
10:48 PM on 06/20/11
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
Great Record. Just got into these guys.
11:01 PM on 06/20/11
Zorlak
Crusher Destroyer
User Info.
One of my favorite albums of the year.
11:18 PM on 06/20/11
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
One of my favorites of the year and in the genre period. It's astounding how full the whole thing feels despite it's brevity. I can't even tell that it's short.
11:19 PM on 06/20/11
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
I like this release, but some of his lyrics really bug me. The production and performance are way tight.
11:28 PM on 06/20/11
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
I just got into these guys within the last 2 weeks. I was blown away by this album, and the lyrics are some of my favorite I've ever heard. Got to see them on Saturday, and it was such a passionate and perfect performance. One of the best in this genre, hands down.
11:28 PM on 06/20/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
really? my favorite lyrical hardcore record this year...
11:38 PM on 06/20/11
rushour144
User Info.
Great freaking album! It is crazy when a band who creates some of the shortest albums ever has the respect of all their peers. Like these guys are living legends!
11:46 PM on 06/20/11
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
really? my favorite lyrical hardcore record this year...
The first half of The Great Repetition is an example, it sounds cheesy to me. I had the same issue with TTBOADH; I really like the quality and sound of his voice but most of his lyrics rub me the wrong way.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums