Username
Password
Yahoo! Music News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Yahoo! Music
Inside AP.net

Did Dia Have a Chance?

Posted by: Tony Pascarella (06/30/11)
Yahoo Music has posted an interesting take on the lack of parity between male and female winners on reality singing shows. Given that Dia Frampton (of Meg & Dia) wasn't able to pull off a win in the finals of NBC's The Voice earlier this week, what do you think? Is there anyone out there that you think could break the trend if they went on one of these shows?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 87
09:44 AM on 06/30/11
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
Whenever the underdog doesn't win, people are always so quick to shout out things like, "SEXISM!!" or, "RACISM!!"... I would never dare watch the show, but I can only assume the other dude won because he was better, not because he had a penis.
09:47 AM on 06/30/11
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
I also didn't read the article, but I just assume it's about sexism and all that whack feminist, empowerment shit.
09:49 AM on 06/30/11
spaghettti
Too turnt
User Info.
I also didn't read the article, but I just assume it's about sexism and all that whack feminist, empowerment shit.
read the article then, it has nothing to do with that.
09:51 AM on 06/30/11
rebeccafrank
Vocals / The Deep North
User Info.
Whenever the underdog doesn't win, people are always so quick to shout out things like, "SEXISM!!" or, "RACISM!!"... I would never dare watch the show, but I can only assume the other dude won because he was better, not because he had a penis.
This.

Javier is amazingly talented and definitely deserved to win. Dia was great too and as a long-time M&D fan, I'm really proud of her. Carson even said the votes were in 2% of each other. It has nothing to do with their sexes.
09:54 AM on 06/30/11
Twobucktin
User Info.
I love Dia. I think that she will have the brightest future out of all of the contestants.
09:55 AM on 06/30/11
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
It's quite odd that she didn't win considering she was #1 on itunes all day, still is last time i checked, and itunes purchases count as votes.
09:58 AM on 06/30/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Awwwwwww, Dia lost? This dude will probably be another Reuben while she gets all successful from this.
09:59 AM on 06/30/11
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
People act like it's all or nothing with these shows... Typically, a lot of the finalists in shows like this and American Idol end up with recording contracts anyways. Sometimes (more so in Idol it seems), these contestants are better off not getting pigeonholed into these contracts that probably limit their creative input. Dia will be just fine though. I'm sure she'll have many offers in her future, as will many of the other contestants. Blaming this on sex or gender is just lazy and grasping at straws to drum up a story.
10:01 AM on 06/30/11
Lawliet
I have learned to love the lie
User Info.
Listen to Javier's CD and then try to tell me Dia should have won.
10:03 AM on 06/30/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
adele
10:05 AM on 06/30/11
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
No, there isn't some weird underlying text to her loss.
10:07 AM on 06/30/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think this article is completely ridiculous. besides, a lot of the female contestants on theses reality shows who don't win, go on to have much more successful careers than the males that do.
10:12 AM on 06/30/11
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Javier >>>>> Dia
10:14 AM on 06/30/11
LessThanKaitlin
User Info.
I was really excited when I found out that Dia was on the show, but also (not hating or complaining here) why was she on the show? I really like Meg and Dia and they even just released a new album so why is Dia having to compete on a reality singing competition? I am really not trying to complain about her being on the show or anything, I was just really surprised when I found out she was in fact a contestant seeing as how she is already a somewhat well known singer
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests