AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Gaslight Anthem
Inside AP.net

Online Station Leaks New Horrible Crowes Song, Brian...

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/01/11)
Brian Fallon has posted a blog talking about how the "magic and mystery" are being taken out of music by early leaks of songs. After some very basic searching: it seems an online radio station played the new track "Mary Ann."
From The BlogDear DJ... please do not put music on the internet that you know you're not supposed to. For once can someone have the respect of an artist or band to let them release their creation in it's entirety when they deem it ready? I understand people are excited, but if I was waiting for a movie to come out, why would you want to download a chapter of the whole? You'll miss the point and you'll miss the intent of the whole. When a single is officially released, it's like a trailer... it's thought over, and it represents a mood or a sum of the parts... it's a statement.

If you respect us at all and our music, please don't download or listen to anything that's not official. Especially not when you take an MP3 stream, hook up coaxial cable and run it through a board and broadcast it. It sounds like garbage, and I know Myself, Ian, and Ted certainly didn't agonize over the sound of the record to have it played through a tin can telephone. The internet is great for somethings... but it's taking the magic out of music. There's no surprise and no mystery of art when people take it upon themselves to do things.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
11:38 AM on 07/01/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Agree wholeheartedly.
11:39 AM on 07/01/11
|adr3naLine|
Straight outa Compton!
User Info.
So hard not to listen, seeing as I do have the utmost respect for Fallon and his music, I'll fight the urge. He's a good dude.

Edit to express how badly I wanna hear this album though.
11:42 AM on 07/01/11
relientkid777
User Info.
lol WMNF, thats our local community radio.
11:43 AM on 07/01/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
As a music fan, I get both sides wholeheartedly. The anticipation of your favorite band releasing something, of wanting to hear anything - of wanting to obsess over something that means a lot to you.

And I get the artist wanting to control how their art hits the world.

The station shouldn't have played something the way they did -- that's just not cool.
11:44 AM on 07/01/11
delvec19
i wanna hear the same song twice
User Info.
Agreed......still wanna hear it though haha.
11:46 AM on 07/01/11
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
Agree and disagree.
I mean, people are actually surprised when an album by a big-ish band hasn't leaked 2-3 weeks before its release. I think the internet is so caught up in the rapid consumption and disposal of music, that waiting a couple of weeks to hear something is incomprehensible to some people. I am one of these people.
11:48 AM on 07/01/11
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll wait for the album as a whole. It's not like Brian hasn't had early single releases with Gaslight, so he'd do if if he thought it was right. For this project, he wants to hold it back as a whole. They gave us a small sample, and as much as I don't want to, I will wait. Some albums are just better that way anyway.
11:48 AM on 07/01/11
relientkid777
User Info.
As a music fan, I get both sides wholeheartedly. The anticipation of your favorite band releasing something, of wanting to hear anything - of wanting to obsess over something that means a lot to you.

And I get the artist wanting to control how their art hits the world.

The station shouldn't have played something the way they did -- that's just not cool.
How did they play it? The link just directs me to the WMNF homepage.

Did they try to play it off as an exclusive or something?
11:51 AM on 07/01/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
oh maaaaan gotta hear this
Fun Ghoul
Peacemaker
User Info.
Screw the internet. It's the nature of the game. It's not the DJs fault for playing amazing tunes for everyone.
Jason Tate
User Info.
How did they play it? The link just directs me to the WMNF homepage.

Did they try to play it off as an exclusive or something?
I'm not sure, I saw the link in the Gaslight Anthem forums, I didn't download it to hear how they presented it. I think they literally hooked up their computer and played it from the stream that Side One Dummy sent to some press.
12:00 PM on 07/01/11
ParisInFlames55
here's to life!
User Info.
Is there a release date for a first official single? I wonder if they will push it up with this incident. Brian sure has had some bad luck with his music and the internet over the years. It is a shame, but luckily he has some of the most loyal fans out there. I am so excited for this record.
12:00 PM on 07/01/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
What a fuckup. Why did a radio station have an advance anyway? But regardless - I just don't get it when people who are given privileges like this decide to fuck over the people who granted it to them.
12:01 PM on 07/01/11
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
i can only imagine how bummed i would be if someone leaked my work before i was ready/wanting the world to see it. especially for someone as invested as brian fallon. thats such a drag
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums