AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Junior Battles - Idle Ages Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.92
Musicianship 8.42
Lyrics 8.33
Production 8.67
Creativity 8.08
Lasting Value 8.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.13
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Junior Battles - Idle Ages

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (07/06/11)
Junior BattlesIdle Ages
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Record Label: Paper + Plastick

In a year that has brought hotly anticipated releases from pop-punk heavyweights like The Wonder Years, The Swellers, Set Your Goals, and The Dangerous Summer, it'd be easy to overlook an up and coming band like Junior Battles. Based out of Ontario, Canada, this quartet is on the fast path to becoming one of the major staples of the ever expanding pop-punk scene. After a series of EP's, Junior Battles have unleashed their full length debut, Idle Ages - a reinvigorating pop-punk album that's just the very tip of the band's full potential.

Junior Battles immediately goes for the jugular with the album-defining “Seventeen,” a delicious cut of pop-punk that features gang shouts and swelling guitar riffs. The intense, Take This To Your Grave-esque “Twenty Five” will incite the pit at shows, whereas the one-two punch of “Living in the Future of Feelings/No Plan” and “Passing Out” will serve as the upbeat anthems of Idle Ages.

Musically, Idle Ages influences range from bands like The Get Up Kids to Jawbreaker to peers like Tigers Jaw. The tone and pace of the album changes from track to track. On “Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?,” Damian Abraham (of Fucked Up) contributes some nicely-placed growls in between the driving guitar chords of Sam Sutherland and Aaron Zorgel. The piercing “Birthdayparties vs. Punkroutine” aims to wound while inducing some striking pop-punk rhythms. They mellow out a bit on “With Honours,” which opens with dreamy guitar chords before the somber verses hit, and album closer “Radio” is the type of song you and your closest friends shout along to while sitting on the front porch at two in the morning.

Lyrically, the battle between staying young and growing up runs rampant throughout, as well as wondering why crappy things happen to decent people. The imagery of “Nostalgic at 23” is reminiscent of early Alkaline Trio, while “Send the Pilots Away” peppers its dark lyricism amongst some incredibly catchy hooks, making the track an instant standout.

The single best thing about Idle Ages is that even though the group switches up their styles on many tracks, the album never loses that sincere angst and never misses a beat with their energy. The duel vocal attack courtesy of Sutherland and Zorgel creates a chemistry that most of their peers will never approach. Idle Ages will generate numerous emotions and memories, as Junior Battles have created an album that reminds you of why you loved this genre so much in the first place.

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Seventeen
2. Twenty Five
3. Nostalgic at 23
4. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
5. Birthdayparties vs. Punkroutine
6. Alternate 1985
7. Send the Pilots Away
8. Architecture
9. With Honours
10. Living in the Future of Feelings / No Plan
11. Passing Out
12. Radio

Junior Battles is:
Justin Taylor - bass, vocals
Sam Sutherland - vocals, guitar
Aaron Zorgel - vocals, guitar
Joel Dickau - drums, vocals

Official Website; Official Facebook; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
02:32 AM on 07/06/11
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
This album packs a serious punch! Great review Drew.
02:59 AM on 07/06/11
eons
It's my mistake to make.
User Info.
Real poppunk; unlike TWY.
03:32 AM on 07/06/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Album is great. Junior Battles knows what they're doing.
04:04 AM on 07/06/11
RockTheWalls
Rock The Walls: http://idobi.com
User Info.
Happy this band is finally getting the recognition they deserve. Great Toronto area band.
04:55 AM on 07/06/11
Bonnn
I didn't think I'd be alone.
User Info.
I will definitely check this out. I like the Refused reference in Birthdayparties vs. Punkroutine.
05:56 AM on 07/06/11
Alien
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is one amazing debut full length.
06:02 AM on 07/06/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Looks like I need to check this out
06:26 AM on 07/06/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
Real poppunk; unlike TWY.

lolwut?
07:07 AM on 07/06/11
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
This one surprised me. But its better than alot of the albums getting a ton more recognition.
07:28 AM on 07/06/11
Yogey
User Info.
Overrated album. 6/10

so far far far away from TWY, TSSF, TF, the swellers and more...
08:21 AM on 07/06/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
In my top 5 for the year right now. Love this record. It's my favorite release I've been a part of with Paper + Plastick.
08:32 AM on 07/06/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
In my top 5 for the year right now. Love this record. It's my favorite release I've been a part of with Paper + Plastick.
for sure man. may not be a top 5 or 10 record for me overall when it's all said and done, but it's very well done for the genre. The lyrical content really hooked me in.
08:57 AM on 07/06/11
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Love it. I've thoroughly enjoyed everything this band's put out.
10:39 AM on 07/06/11
koryoreo
Fuck You Seattle
User Info.
This is a real solid album. Up there with TWY, The Swellers, Story So Far and Fireworks as some of the years best pop punk albums.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests