AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Spotify Hits The USA Officially

Posted by - 10:52 AM on 07/14/11
Spotify has teamed up with Klout and officially launched in the United States. With a variety of services now available; including Rdio, Mog, Rhapsody, and now Spotify. This space looks very interesting for the next few years. I think in the end, music fans are going to win. We're going to have even greater tools for music discovery and sharing new bands with other people. I look forward to all the ways we can integrate this into AP.net to bring you a better experience.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
10:53 AM on 07/14/11
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Signed up for the premium service. Very slick so far--the lack of load times is awesome.
10:57 AM on 07/14/11
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
anyone know the difference between premium and unlimited?
10:58 AM on 07/14/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
For those asking: I've got a good network built up on Rdio, and have been really found of the service ... so I'll be sticking with that for now.
11:02 AM on 07/14/11
JasonEpitaph
User Info.
anyone know the difference between premium and unlimited?
Premium doesnt have any ads, if you do premium 9.99 you also get it via mobile. Very slick and easy to use, I hope everyone tries it.

I'm a huge fan of Spotify, Rdio and the model in general. I think upon scale its a way for everyone involved to get value and make it financially viable for artists & labels to progress while offering high value at a very low cost to consumers. Also if this model takes off, it will drive labels/artists to come up with more creative packaging concepts offering more value in physical form to the users. All in it drives revenue and innovation.
11:06 AM on 07/14/11
JasonEpitaph
User Info.
Also I should note the value/differences in my eyes of Rdio and Spotify:

Rdio:
Rdio has built a unique and clean social experience. Its a great way to follow friends and see what they're listening to. For those out of the loop on what the new "cool" record is, its easy to find it with Rdio, the more of your friends that add the album to their collection, the better chance it is that the album will be good. I have found myself discovering many new artists this way.

Spotify:
Spotify has a really unique 1 to 1 experience. Like and album and think your friend will too? Drag and drop the album onto their name (you connect with facebook and it pulls in a list of your friends who are using Spotify) and it puts the album in their Spotify inbox to check out. 1 to 1 recommendations are really exciting. Also Spotify's Facebook/Twitter integration is really strong since it has the free model, its the only subscription service where if you share on your social networks, anyone can have a chance to listen. Good for spreading albums wide and bringing people back to a legal place to consume the music.
11:06 AM on 07/14/11
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
For those asking: I've got a good network built up on Rdio, and have been really found of the service ... so I'll be sticking with that for now.
The biggest selling point for Spotify over Rdio, especially for people who enjoy a lot of more underground music, is that Spotify lets you play your own MP3s and include them in their playlists. I'm a big fan of Rdio too, but I fear with how good Spotify's people are at getting press (they launch and everyone goes crazy, most people still don't know about Rdio) coupled with Rdio's lack of clearly being the better service is going to make quickly make Spotify the big player in the field while the rest struggle to stay a float and hope Spotify makes a mistake.
11:11 AM on 07/14/11
bmoore09
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really digging Spotify so far. i like how Rdio pushes social more in my opinion though, but I am glad that these services are available. great news for music lovers.
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I don't think it's worth a ton to me without an iPhone/Android at this point. I'm enjoying playing around with it though.
Sara7x
I lurk...speak occasionally.
User Info.
Just got Spotify thanks to Klout's perk program and so far I love it.
Jason Tate
User Info.
The biggest selling point for Spotify over Rdio, especially for people who enjoy a lot of more underground music, is that Spotify lets you play your own MP3s and include them in their playlists. I'm a big fan of Rdio too, but I fear with how good Spotify's people are at getting press (they launch and everyone goes crazy, most people still don't know about Rdio) coupled with Rdio's lack of clearly being the better service is going to make quickly make Spotify the big player in the field while the rest struggle to stay a float and hope Spotify makes a mistake.
Yeah, that's a really cool feature -- something I need to look into more. Can you play them anywhere, or does it have to be local?

I definitely agree about the press. And if the entire world goes to Spotify, like Facebook - I'll be forced into it. Hahah. But until then, I really like Rdio. Their interface is great.
11:14 AM on 07/14/11
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
I kind of wish I had looked into Rdio before I signed up for Spotify. The whole "Follow Influencers" thing seems really sweet.
11:17 AM on 07/14/11
JohnR
User Info.
I got an invite from Klout but the code didn't work. Others are having the same issue and are working on it. Hopefully is it fixed soon so I can try it!
11:18 AM on 07/14/11
JasonEpitaph
User Info.
Yeah, that's a really cool feature -- something I need to look into more. Can you play them anywhere, or does it have to be local?

I definitely agree about the press. And if the entire world goes to Spotify, like Facebook - I'll be forced into it. Hahah. But until then, I really like Rdio. Their interface is great.
Hopefully it wont be like Facebook and we'll be able to maintain multiple options for people. Competition drives innovation. I hope both of them thrive.
11:19 AM on 07/14/11
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.

I unsubscribed to Rdio today, and got the unlimited spotify. My only grudge is spotify is based solely on playlists only. You can Add artists like you could in Rdio and keep it organized.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos