AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide Album Cover

Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide

Reviewed by
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide

For the most seasoned fans of heavy music, black metal can still be hit or miss. It's a genre that you must invest yourself in to reap the benefits. Xasthur have long been one step ahead of the rest of the pack and Subliminal Genocide is no different. The one-man project (Scott Conner) has been churning out genre defining albums since 1995 and this latest release is no different.

Subliminal Genocide is a record tailor made for fans of SunnO))), Khanate, Nadja and the like. A blend of black and doom metal with a pinch of drone, Xasthur manage to create interesting and melodic songs without sacrificing any of the pain/anguish commonly associated with the genre. Tracks like "A Prison of Mirrors" show how versatile Xasthur can be. Over the song's 9 minute span, you'll hear a move from crushing, vocal-driven noise to a melodic closing passage. The songwriting is masterful, and that's where Xasthur separate themselves from the pack.

Besides the obvious harshness of the music, first time listeners may also have trouble getting past the production of this record. This is not squeaky clean, crisp production. The record sounds fuzzy, it sounds raw and understandably so that isn't for everyone. I find the melodic passages oftentimes suffer due to the raw production. However the more drone-based songs sound fantastic. The atmosphere created thanks to the production cannot be denied and it lends itself well to the haunting music.

Xasthur is not for everyone. That being said, heavy music fans looking for something forward thinking and different should definitely check out Subliminal Genocide. While it may not be Xasthur's best record (2002's Nocturnal Poisoning), it most certainly is a great listen. You get glimpses of black, doom and drone over this album and it should keep you hooked for a couple of listens.

Standout tracks: "The Prison of Mirrors", "Trauma Will Always Linger", "Pyramid of Skulls"

RIYL: SunnO))), Boris, Khanate, Nadja, Neurosis
This review is a user submitted review from irthetyler. You can see all of irthetyler's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
11:15 AM on 05/16/07
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think SunnO))) or Boris are good comparisons. I think the only reason they were mentioned was because not only does Xasthur work through the same PR person, but they are also pretty obscure and have only a cult following as SunnO))) does.
02:21 PM on 05/16/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
I don't think SunnO))) or Boris are good comparisons. I think the only reason they were mentioned was because not only does Xasthur work through the same PR person, but they are also pretty obscure and have only a cult following as SunnO))) does.

Id say fans of SunnO))) and Boris would be familiar with Xasthur, they (i find, at least) share a similar group of fans. At times id say Xasthur and SunnO))) have a similar sound as well, not so much Boris...regardless all 3 bands are very forward-thinking in their respective genres and all 3 are very solid, IMO.
10:53 AM on 05/17/07
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Id say fans of SunnO))) and Boris would be familiar with Xasthur, they (i find, at least) share a similar group of fans. At times id say Xasthur and SunnO))) have a similar sound as well, not so much Boris...regardless all 3 bands are very forward-thinking in their respective genres and all 3 are very solid, IMO.
I think when Xasthur enters the whole gloomy droning sound they draw close to Sunn0))) but even then the sound is a lot darker than the majority of Sunn0)))'s material. Definitely the same sort of fanbase though. Mostly cult followings. Either way both are good. I'm sure the guy in Xasthur doesn't dress like a leper though. Haha.
02:52 PM on 05/17/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
I think when Xasthur enters the whole gloomy droning sound they draw close to Sunn0))) but even then the sound is a lot darker than the majority of Sunn0)))'s material. Definitely the same sort of fanbase though. Mostly cult followings. Either way both are good. I'm sure the guy in Xasthur doesn't dress like a leper though. Haha.

agreed on all points. especially the leper part.

haha, you bring up good points though...nice to see someone else into this type o "weird person" music haha.
01:03 AM on 05/26/07
TheBaroness
User Info.
Good review, good record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News