Password

Album Review

Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday Album Cover

Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday

Reviewed by
Taking Back Sunday Taking Back Sunday
Record Label: Warner
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Taking Back Sunday perch back on the rock-and-roll tree once more, bringing forward a new, fresh, infectious album. And guess what? The old Taking Back Sunday lineup has reformed. John Nolan and Shaun Cooper bounce back into the limelight, so the old beast has been nurtured to full health. Taking Back Sunday has struck gold with their new self-titled effort. It starts off with "El Paso,’’ an energetic monster of a track. Adam Lazzara’s vocals are strained, but his heart, soul and blood are placed into the song. It is the band’s fiercest track to date. It’s loud, it’s brash, it’s strong, but it’s still a piece of brilliance. The drumbeat resembles a potent heartbeat, the lyrics have attitude, it has style and Lazzara screams for a resistance.

"Faith (When I Let You Down)” commences calmly. Then the drums start to uplift the quiet drones. It’s typical Taking Back Sunday. Lazzara sings ‘‘you might lose your faith in Jesus.’’ He is trying to reinforce his passion for religion, and he wants the crowd to hear what he sings, making the song a prime candidate for the live scene. "Best Places To Be A Mom’’ is a wonderful track. It has amazing urgency, the build up to the chorus is infectious and Lazzara again comes forward brilliantly with the vocals. "Pull Back Your Skin, Let Me In’’ really tags the mind of the listener. The song is a story – a fable that takes the mind on a crusade. Lazzara has written the songs with complete precision and honesty.

"Sad Savior’’ is a ballad – a beautiful one. Lazzara’s voice has impact yet again. His vocal cords start off calmly, then the chorus burns through with a contagious melody. "Who Are You Anyway’’ is a track that doesn’t do the album justice; it’s a bit of a glitch among the beautiful, more refined songs that appear on the album. "This Is All Now’’ starts off beautifully. The drums are at a steady beat, and then Lazzara’s vocals seep through the fabric of the drums. His voice has eased, but when the chorus tackles his vocals, Lazzara comes out stronger. The lyrics are simply astonishing, reading like a story. "You Got Me’’ is another loud, brash offering, but it gives the album a sheen, good healthy color. Overall, Taking Back Sunday have come back as emo kings since the band’s album "Tell All Your Friends.’’ This self-titled beauty has brought Taking Back Sunday back into the realm of good, honest music.

Recommended If You Like: Rock; Brand New; Straylight Run; concept albums

takingbacksunday.com
This review is a user submitted review from Dookie1. You can see all of Dookie1's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
06:00 PM on 08/19/11
here the lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Little biased review but great none the less
03:41 PM on 08/25/11
willfet1
stay thirsty my friends
User Info.
Good to see the old TBS back
08:14 AM on 09/09/11
coopjags55
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love Taking Back Sunday. I saw them at Bogarts in Cincinnati this summer and it was one of the sickest shows I've ever been to. Tell All Your Friends was a 5 star album, Where You Want To Be was a 3 star album, Louder Now was a 4 star album, but this album has only one or two songs that got my attention. Best Places To Be A Mom, and Faith(When I Let You Down). On the other hand, El Paso was good live, but no TBS album will ever touch Tell All Your Friends.
07:39 PM on 10/28/11
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
I really can not stand this album. Completely lost their sense of melody.

You can tell how much TBS misses Fred.
02:56 PM on 10/11/12
zkiserdesign
User Info.
I hated this record at first, but after a few listen's I fell in love with it. I was still pretty bitter that Shaun Copper and John Nolan left Straylight Run. If your going into this album expecting it to sound like Tell All Your Friends just put down now. I feel in order to enjoy this record you have to get past the fact that it's NOT Tell All Your Friends and that it's never going to be; that was ten years ago. This album has great lyrically content, John Nolan and Shaun Cooper change the complication of this band. Taking Back Sunday sounds some much better now that their back in line up. This album is not disappointment like new again. This album is a little more experimental than your typical TBS record. The melodies are great and when it hits it hits, but also slow done and when slows down it leaves you wanting more. The best tracks on the album are Faith (When I Let You Down) , This Is All Now, Since You're Gone, You Got Me, and Call Me In The Morning. I suggest listing to it three times before you make a judgment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos