AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bomb The Music Industry! - Vacation Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.44
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.94
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.88
Lasting Value 9.88
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Bomb The Music Industry! - Vacation

Reviewed by: Dre Okorley (08/05/11)
Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Record Label: Quote Unquote

Swing back. Swing back to the bygone days of the achingly patriotic Red Alert. It poised itself to be the pinnacle of Homeland Security's terrorist treatment and then puttered out, gas fumes and all. But in the world of music, none of that seemed to matter. After noise-act The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower hit the scene, an equally gutsy, playfully terrorizing name also appeared in the spark flickering extravaganza. Quote Unquote's post-punk juggernauts Bomb The Music Industry! figured out a way to hot-wire a widely feared political notion into black bloc glamour, and with Vacation, run away with style. But worry not, because it's all fun and games (quote, unquote).

If an overlooking-the-beach album cover is any indication, "Campaign for a Better Next Weekend" is Vacation's smooth breeze opener, bejeweled with a glowing piano introduction. As clever sound effects switch off playing peek-a-boo with subtle sneak attacks, the plot of twenty-three maniacal punks pulls us into their lair. Courtesy of the blunt psyche of head lyricist and producer Jeff Rosenstock, gruff public service announcements attack consciousness and soul, echoed by the siren sounds of unruly guitars, a sneaky trumpet, and bloodthirsty gang vocals. In one large wave, "it felt just like a vacation, but still we complained until we all felt jaded and started to hate it" pillars atop a musically complicated scene that can only be described as an explosive takeover of excitable shakes and yells.

In "Vocal Coach", "Everybody That You Love", and "Why, Oh Why, Oh Why" the almighty Weezer make a comeback, as "El Scorcho"-esque influences create a fiesta of oohs and whistle-talking that know how to dance obediently to each instrument's peppy note. Though after such events, the listener may question how much 'fun and games' the album truly is: a softer interlude sways in via the track "The Shit That You Hate", and "Hurricane Waves" follows in similarly calming suit, taken by a garage rock fervor and handclapping fever.

But where are the bombs? Where have the heavy explosions been stashed, the kidnapping scenes, the ransom note attached to the photo of the missing music industry executive? It's hidden within Rosenstock's honest and personable mental space, stored in mega keyboard and xylophone solos, along with wild pop-up traps in the guest contributions from Fake Problems, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Bayside, and Good Luck, and one giant red button that could end a commercially corrupt planet with one daring push. So sit back and grab a bag of popcorn, because Vacation is chock-full of aural acrobatics rolled up into its withered plaid sleeves. You just have to be daring enough to push that button.

Recommended If You LikeWeezer, The Impossibles, Elvis Costello, nintendos, punk rock musicals

Official Site | Record Label

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
09:45 PM on 08/20/11
Sam DeBurns Red
User Info.
Good review, I love this band and album and I also enjoy your writing style.
08:09 AM on 08/22/11
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Good review, I love this band and album and I also enjoy your writing style.
Thanks, appreciated!
07:06 AM on 08/26/11
imarealboy21
User Info.
i loved this album i dont think this review did it justice really
07:12 AM on 08/26/11
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
Review is a bit overwritten and melodramatic, but this is a great album so glad it got coverage.
07:44 AM on 08/26/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I'm glad you put this up as a staff review. I have been digging this record lately - flat out truth is, the guy can really write a great pop song. "Vocal Coach" is super catchy and "Everybody That You Love" is awesome - maybe I'm biased because P+P put out that 7"
08:43 AM on 08/26/11
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No way this album is only a B. This record is perfect.
08:56 AM on 08/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'm glad you put this up as a staff review. I have been digging this record lately - flat out truth is, the guy can really write a great pop song. "Vocal Coach" is super catchy and "Everybody That You Love" is awesome - maybe I'm biased because P+P put out that 7"
For sure, agreed. And I didn't know P+P put out a 7". Rad.

No way this album is only a B. This record is perfect.
I'm secretly a Pitchfork agent.
09:12 AM on 08/26/11
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.

09:17 AM on 08/26/11
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Shit, are Bomb the Music Industry a hipster band now? I guess I'll stop listening to them, then.
09:24 AM on 08/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Glad you got what I meant, ha.
11:39 AM on 08/26/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
This record is so great. IMO its the best btmi! record. Behind Scrambles. Unpopular Opinion?

Stoked to pick up the vinyl when I see them monday
11:51 AM on 08/26/11
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
I definitely have to check this out, and I got stoked when I read that Good Luck helped to contribute on here. I love them, they're all super-nice people. I miss my college-time in Bloomington, seeing them and hanging out with them at and outside of shows so frequently..
04:12 PM on 08/29/11
Jookl
haaaaaaaaaaaa!
User Info.
Gratz sir, very nice review. That review fits this record perfectly
12:44 AM on 09/29/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Late, late pass, but this review is excellent and very well-written.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests