AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Ben Keeler and the 500 Club - 08.12.11

Ben Keeler and the 500 Club - 08.12.11

Interviewed by
Ben Keeler and the 500 Club - 08.12.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Ben Keeler and the 500 Club

www.benkeeler.com
www.facebook.com/benkeelerandthe500club
www.twitter.com/500clubmusic

1. How did you get your band name?

Ben Keeler is the songwriter. The 500 Club is the rotating band line-up that backs up Keeler. The 500 Club name was taken from The 500 Club in major league baseball, which is the players who have hit 500 or more career home runs.

2. How did this band get started?
It started in Chicago at Columbia College. Ben Keeler and Tony Hays met at music school and began collaborating in the dorms they lived in. They started playing shows with Keeler's childhood friend David Dionise, who lived in Detroit, on drums.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Tom Waits, Sam Cooke, Foo Fighters, The Decemberists

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Past - The Kinks, I bet they were cool dudes.
Present - Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl has to be the coolest guy in Rock and Roll.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Steak Burritos. We eat them all across the country in search of the perfect burrito. We like to think of ourselves as connoisseurs of the meal.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because it will make you happy, it will make you think, and it will make you wanna dance.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Tim Lincecum- pitcher for the San Francisco. He's got a mean curve ball, a bitchin' ERA, and plays baseball in San Francisco, one of the best cities in the world and my home for a brief time.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Mom, Dad, Music teachers and whoever engineered/produced the record that won us a grammy:)

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Death to Clearchannel!

10. Memorable tour experience?

We did a show at the Doll Hut in Anaheim on our west coast tour. We arrived and quickly realized we would be needing to get in touch with our punk rock roots. All the other bands were far more punk rock than we were. We grabbed some beers, went out to the patio to soak in the scene, and I was immediately nailed in the head with a glazed donut. We soon notice that there was a donut fight happening at the outdoor stage and I was hit in the cross fire. Needless to say, it was quite hilarious.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A great way to find out about new bands and keep all us hungry music fans fed with the breaking news we desire.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Warm Warm Water". The energy that song brings is untouched by our other tunes.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
East Tawas which is around the thumb of Michigan. We camp, we hang in nature, we love it.
San Louis Obispo, California. Great town, chill vibe, beautiful weather.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Paul Simon- Graceland. My sisters and I have that record engrained in our brains. John Prine was always in the car. Green Day Dookie was my first CD, and the reason I wanted to play guitar.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flight. Cant be everywhere at once, but if I could fly, I could sure as hell get to places much faster.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Band huddle or shots of whiskey usually does the trick.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I work on sailboats in Chicago, and I can make a delicious cappuccino.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Long live college radio! There are also still some great major radio stations out there (KFOG in San Francisco, XRT in Chicago) that take pride in their city, know their listeners and pay attention to the quality of their programming. Yes, I want my songs on the radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to draw, sail, and think up absurd scenarios that will eventually be made into the 500 Club movie:)

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I love to cook, so I'm always experimenting with new recipes. No cook books, just a little this, a little that and a frying pan. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it sure is fun.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version