AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Saves the Day News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Chris Conley Talks Music

Posted by - 09:52 AM on 08/26/11
In a new interview with Blare Magazine, Saves the Day's Chris Conley talks about the importance of role models in music and how "emo" tried to be famous.
QuoteI remember when I was young we had the New Kids On The Block and cheesy late 80sí and 90sí dance music and that was really popular for years and years. Then all of a sudden you had the grunge bands who didnít care and they came in and tore that all down because people had gotten tired of the hollow sound of dance beats. It looks to me like that happens in cycles. For the last five or six years itís been pretty much pop music, like even the emo bands were going pop. That happened around 2003; all of the emo bands tried to be famous all of a sudden and since then the songs have become more dance-like. People need more honest content; itís what creates the cycle, the waves of honest music and dishonest music.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
09:56 AM on 08/26/11
3ver So Sweet
User Info.
such a well spoken guy who is honest and speaks the truth, can't wait for the new STD record.
10:06 AM on 08/26/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Such a great guy, he knows his stuff too.
10:07 AM on 08/26/11
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree pretty much 100%.
10:09 AM on 08/26/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Took a while to get through it but a decent read. I wonder if he was referring to Fall Out Boy with the 2003 everyone wanted to get famous bit.
10:13 AM on 08/26/11
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
I agree with him except for the fact that:

A. Honest music is a reaction to dishonest music. So it seems to me you cannot have one without the other.
B. Pop music =/= dishonest music
C. Being famous =/= dishonest
D. This is fairly typical lip service that bands tend to get into when they try to break through and really don't. Not to say that Saves the Day never "broke through" but certainly not to the extent that their peers did (i.e. NFG, Yellowcard, Dashboard).

I love Saves the Day. But let's not kid ourselves, they flirted with the mainstream, they tried. It didn't happen for them like it did for a band like Yellowcard. Not to say that YC and STD sound the same or anything, but they are part of the same "class" if you will.
10:17 AM on 08/26/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
The Man.
10:19 AM on 08/26/11
3ver So Sweet
User Info.
I agree with him except for the fact that:

A. Honest music is a reaction to dishonest music. So it seems to me you cannot have one without the other.
B. Pop music =/= dishonest music
C. Being famous =/= dishonest
D. This is fairly typical lip service that bands tend to get into when they try to break through and really don't. Not to say that Saves the Day never "broke through" but certainly not to the extent that their peers did (i.e. NFG, Yellowcard, Dashboard).

I love Saves the Day. But let's not kid ourselves, they flirted with the mainstream, they tried. It didn't happen for them like it did for a band like Yellowcard. Not to say that YC and STD sound the same or anything, but they are part of the same "class" if you will.
he was trying to say that people/musicians made pop music because history had shown that was extremely popular before and they were doing this not because they thought it was right but because they wanted to be rich and famous. i think he can respect music that goes mainstrain if your musical integrity isn't being challenged or thrown away. he wasn't saying pop music was really dishonest, just shallow and already done and done over because people wanted to be rich and famous.
10:25 AM on 08/26/11
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
he was trying to say that people/musicians made pop music because history had shown that was extremely popular before and they were doing this not because they thought it was right but because they wanted to be rich and famous. i think he can respect music that goes mainstrain if your musical integrity isn't being challenged or thrown away. he wasn't saying pop music was really dishonest, just shallow and already done and done over because people wanted to be rich and famous.
That's great, but when I listen to Saves the Day...I mean, I hear pop music. Maybe it's just me, but Saves the Day songs are generally paint by numbers emo pop song. They do a great job at it, and that's why I love them, but they are what they are.

And Saves the Day have gone through some pretty drastic changes in regards to their sound. Why? Couldn't tell you. Does it matter? Nope. If it's because they wanted to be famous or because that was the music that made them happy, if it's good it's good.
10:28 AM on 08/26/11
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
good thing he hasnt done anything thats good since 2001.
10:29 AM on 08/26/11
3ver So Sweet
User Info.
That's great, but when I listen to Saves the Day...I mean, I hear pop music. Maybe it's just me, but Saves the Day songs are generally paint by numbers emo pop song. They do a great job at it, and that's why I love them, but they are what they are.

And Saves the Day have gone through some pretty drastic changes in regards to their sound. Why? Couldn't tell you. Does it matter? Nope. If it's because they wanted to be famous or because that was the music that made them happy, if it's good it's good.
yeah but i think it's a totally different pop than what he's referring to, to be honest. (and you know what that pop is...crap on top 40 radio stations and myspace bands such as the maine?) and they gone through changes because that's the type of music he wanted to make as he matured, which is completely understandable. and he's says in the interview it's not because he wanted to be famous, but becasue he wanted to make something he was proud of. and honestly, i could careless, because just like you, i enjoy every STD album for what it is, because like Chris said it's unique and honest.
10:30 AM on 08/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2415142 Now you can ask him, haha.
10:31 AM on 08/26/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
What a great interview. This is why Saves The Day remain relevant.
10:31 AM on 08/26/11
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
yeah but i think it's a totally different pop than what he's referring to, to be honest. (and you know what that pop is...crap on top 40 radio stations and myspace bands such as the maine?) and they gone through changes because that's the type of music he wanted to make as he matured, which is completely understandable. and he's says in the interview it's not because he wanted to be famous, but becasue he wanted to make something he was proud of. and honestly, i could careless, because just like you, i enjoy every STD album for what it is, because like Chris said it's unique and honest.
Yeah I see. But really, how many musicians are going to come out and say that they did something to be famous?
10:32 AM on 08/26/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
good thing he hasnt done anything thats good since 2001.

Are you deaf?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version