AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Darkbuster - A Weakness For Spirits Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Darkbuster - A Weakness For Spirits

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (06/02/07)
DarkbusterA Weakness For Spirits
Label: I Scream Records
Release Date: August 8, 2006

Forget the release date of this album. Dwell on it no longer. Had I heard A Weakness For Spirits last year, it might just have been my favorite punk record (shoving Ignite off their sleazy pedestal). In any event, I just spun it today on a useless Saturday that got a whole lot more, lets say, active. By the time my parents find the hopelessly demolished lamp, I’ll be long gone.

Darkbuster once again gives me hope that there is a relevant place for humor in music. Because, let’s face it, I’m hilarious. But it’s a double-edged sword because the buffoonery makes me look like a Pauly Shore protégé. However, songs like “Gurly’s Cell Phone Number” (it’s about a girl’s digits, duh) and “Cantaloupes” keep things light, even while the drums crash and the guitars rip through mile-a-minute punk riffs. The latter song features a chorus of, “’Loupes, he’s got ‘loupes. He’s got balls the size of cantaloupes.” Needless to say, this stuff is right up my dirty, bum infested alley.

It’s not all fast fun and games though, as the reggae and ska tracks are some of the best on A Weakness For Spirits. “Rudy” brings the Caribbean to Boston with melodic harmonies and blaring trumpets. “D.J.” is a ska-punk club track, thus making it fairly speedy. The Bosstones-esque horns and vocals helps fill the large void left by Dicky (who lends vocals on a track) and the boys.

The political tracks are done with extreme satire (see: “Stand and Deliver”) and should be taken a bit more seriously on subsequent releases. But, the strongest track lyrically (and the only song over three minutes) is “Give Up Dope.” About a friend who dies from addiction, the springy bass and sweet (like crack) melodies seem to mock the sadness in Lenny Lashley’s words. The fun has to stop sometime, and this song showcases the emotional side of Darkbuster.

Few things are more satisfying than melodic punk rock done right. The album will be over before you even realize. And hopefully, you’ll be itching to hit the repeat button more than a few times. Darkbuster is working on a follow-up record, and I will not be left out this time around. I hope.

Recommended If You Like: NOFX, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, cans o’ worms, Dropkick Murphys, spoiled milk

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums