AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Matt Pond PA - If You Want Blood EP Album Cover

Matt Pond PA - If You Want Blood EP

Reviewed by
Matt Pond PA - If You Want Blood EP

Another year, another Matt Pond PA album -- sometimes I think we're much more fortunate than we really know.

The If You Want Blood EP represents the Philadelphia band's sixth effort in seven years and the act has yet to grow old or out of touch. While representing not so much an evolution as a graceful aging process, this EP provides five diverse tracks linked by group-originator Matt Pond's quaintly clever lyrics and lovely melodies. The opening track, "Reading," follows the successful formula of upbeat rock mixed with infectious hooks that worked so well on the group's 2005 release Several Arrows Later. "Magic Boyfriend" delivers an excellent, albeit concise (coming in a 2:21), change of pace in an alt-country flavor complete with jangling backup guitars and bluesy lyrics such as "It's kinda hard to trust/without innocence and luck/ You need a magic boyfriend." Maybe it's because I'm an East Coast guy myself but track three, "Everything Until the East Coast Ends," is a clear standout track in my mind. The classic Matt Pond PA guitars layer loosely over a subtley singular background organ line until the song decays into a gloriously reverant guitar progression with ethereal organ and piano parts reminiscent of Death Cab for Cutie's "Transatlanticism." When I hear this song, I'm standing on the Jersey shore, staring at the ocean and humming along as Pond sings "If there's any truth/ it comes from you." "If You Live" rocks to a lilting violin and honest lyrics (for example "Your lower teeth stuck out the same way mine do") that can't help but tug a smile from my lips.

The EP closes with the title track whose chorus guitars bring to mind Snow Patrol's persistant rhythms while the verses are strictly more of the same from Pond and Co. It's a fitting, and not unexpected, close to an album that maintains pace and style without breaking form. The If You Want Blood EP won't ostracize fans of Matt Pond PA's familiar, good-natured rock traits but might be a bit too close to pattern to bring hordes of new fans into the fold.
This review is a user submitted review from Travis Parno. You can see all of Travis Parno's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:26 AM on 06/17/07
OptimusBeard
User Info.
Nicely done. Pretty good release overall. Not a lot really reaches out and grabs me, but there is also nothing that turns me away. On a side note: it has some pretty bitchin' album art if you ask me.
12:32 PM on 06/18/07
Listofsound
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ever since i listened to the Green Fury and Nature of Maps, I've been hooked on this band. I've seen them 14 times in about 3 years and have enjoyed every release they've put out, including If You Want Blood. THough, not their strongest EP, this portrays the bands new direction in their music. However, there are still hints of classic mpPA in all 5 songs on this EP. It's a great teaser for the upcoming full lenght thats due out in late september.

If you are just getting into this band i would not only check out this release but go back and listen to their 5 albums and 4 or 5 other EPs that have been released over the years.
02:32 PM on 07/09/07
SwishMX48
In December, drinkin' Horchata
User Info.
Ever since i listened to the Green Fury and Nature of Maps, I've been hooked on this band. I've seen them 14 times in about 3 years and have enjoyed every release they've put out, including If You Want Blood. THough, not their strongest EP, this portrays the bands new direction in their music. However, there are still hints of classic mpPA in all 5 songs on this EP. It's a great teaser for the upcoming full lenght thats due out in late september.

If you are just getting into this band i would not only check out this release but go back and listen to their 5 albums and 4 or 5 other EPs that have been released over the years.

Exactly. Awesome EP for the summer...this is my favorite band and Last Light is my most anticipated release this year, hopefully it gets them a little more recognition

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos