Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

Sound Fest Loses Bigtime

Posted by: Dre Okorley (09/26/11)
The Seattle Weekly reports that some bands still haven't been paid in full a month later for performing at Sound Fest, which featured Broadway Calls, Lucero, Jello Biafra and many, many more.
Quote"To fans who attended, the event went off smoothly, but behind the scenes it was a different story, almost from the beginning. When word of Sound Fest made its way to Shawn Stern, founder of punk stalwarts Youth Brigade and the organizer of the annual Punk Rock Bowling Tournament in Las Vegas, he sent an e-mail to bands and agents warning them against playing. 'After witnessing his disastrous attempts at promoting concerts around L.A.,' he said of promoter Lou Medrano, 'my friends and I felt it was important to warn others against working with him.' Unlike most punk festivals which start small and grow organically, Medrano and Early had no previous festival experience to draw on or financial figures to go by. The duo dreamed big, gambled big, and ultimately lost big. 'We knew going into it that all festivals don't make money in their first year,' Medrano said. 'But we didn't suspect that it would be this bad.'"

Submitted by AP_Punk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
10:51 AM on 09/26/11
kidinthebushes
User Info.
Never heard of it, but it sucks for the bands involved.
10:53 AM on 09/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
That's probably why this happened.
10:54 AM on 09/26/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Interesting read but I would've liked more details.
10:54 AM on 09/26/11
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Dude seems like he just doesn't have the money to pay, not that he was a scammer. If the show makes no money, it's punk rock. Shut the fuck up and live with it. You weren't scammed.
10:55 AM on 09/26/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Wow that's horrendous. Are they going to sue the festival?
10:56 AM on 09/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Dude seems like he just doesn't have the money to pay, not that he was a scammer. If the show makes no money, it's punk rock. Shut the fuck up and live with it. You weren't scammed.
He shouldn't have done the festival then?
It's "punk rock" not to feed your families or pay your bills too, then, I guess.
11:02 AM on 09/26/11
gold soundz
User Info.
You are an idiot.
11:03 AM on 09/26/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.

I never thought about it like that. Bands should get cheated out of their money more often- it's totally punk rock bro. Fuck them for expecting to get paid for doing their job, right?
11:04 AM on 09/26/11
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Don't most bands have a guarantee that is agreed upon that the receive before they would even leave the show??
11:08 AM on 09/26/11
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
"Hey, ______. I know I guaranteed to pay you $5,000 but I thought you were really here for punk! Isn't that what matters?!"
11:09 AM on 09/26/11
TheNewBlack88
We'll say no to love, yes.
User Info.
Don't most bands have a guarantee that is agreed upon that the receive before they would even leave the show??
Typically yeah, but money doesn't grow on trees. If the money doesn't exist, you don't just reach up your ass and pull a hundo out.
11:20 AM on 09/26/11
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
So getting ripped off after flying from across the country on your dime to play at a festival that made no money is punk rock? I never knew, you must be the greatest punk ever or something!
11:21 AM on 09/26/11
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
So I know a few people have already let you know that you're an idiot.

But yeah you're an idiot.
11:22 AM on 09/26/11
chokeychicken
A long time ago..
User Info.
lol. grow up. this is real life.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums