AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 5
Production 10
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.08
Musicianship 3.22
Lyrics 2.56
Production 4.14
Creativity 3.42
Lasting Value 3.42
Reviewer Tilt 3.36
Average: 33%

Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Reviewed by: shallows69 (10/04/11)
Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
Record Label: Mou5trap Recordings
Release Date: October 22, 2010

First off, I just began listening to dubstep/electronic music within the last year, but have listened to many artists since the interest in this music. Coming from a former From First to Last fan, I expected Sonny (Skrillex) to absolutely blow my mind.

Among first listen it was hard for me to get into because it was a new sound for me. I was used to the post-hardcore feel that made From First to Last famous. On a laptop you can't really get the full feel of the album. It starts off with a club hopping dance number with a little dub sound called Rock n Roll (Will Take you to the Mountain). This happens to be my least favorite song on the album but it still will get your blood flowing. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites and Kill Everybody really are heavy hitters on this album. Mixing melodic tunes and vocals with absolutely gut wrenching, back bending drops. These two songs really showed the progression from his earlier EP My Name is Skrillex. No matter if your in a club, in a car, working out, or just sitting at home, it's hard not to get in "the zone" and move a little bit when listening to these songs.

Track 4 titled, "All I Ask of You," changed up the pace a little bit with a more soothing, mellow sound. Female vocals are added in by Penny and she adds a great contrast to the rest of the album. As soon as you are chilled out and digging the mellow sound, your half closed eyes will peel back to WIDE open when track five begins. Enlisting the Foreign Beggars and Bare Noize to collaborate on "Scatta" was a genius bring back to the energetic feel of the album. The drop in this song in my opinion is the hardest hitting drop on the record. The two rap verses in this song really go well with the hard hitting direction of this song. Leading up to the drop the vocalist spits out " Scatta as if I had the clutch on a magnum." After this hell breaks loose. I am pretty sure I have broken things when listening to this part. The last track on the album thats not remixed is called With You, Friends (Long Drive). This track is a trip. I have to say I was not in my right mindset when first listening to this tune, and it was quite an experience. Skrillex actually uses vocals in this song pretty heavily at the beginning creating the music with his voice. Whether it be an advanced autotune or whatnot, the sound is unique. After a killer keyboard solo in the middle of the song, the beat comes and is a dance anthem for the rest of the song. Great way to close out his original songs.

The remixes on the album are also very strong and of the three songs remixed, Kill Everybody is easily the best. The drop is amazing, and it adds melody into the drop that makes it different than the majority of Dubstep songs. Overall I would give this album a 9/10 because it's very unique and is more advanced than many other albums in this genre. The transition from From First to Last and Skrillex was an easy one. I recommend this record for anyone who enjoys different music and doesn't mind getting down and dirty.

Recommended If You LikeBassnectar, Foreign Beggars, Glitch Mob.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
10:39 AM on 10/09/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Wompwompwomp
04:06 PM on 10/09/11
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
lol creativity should be a 0.25
08:19 PM on 10/09/11
KillHipsters
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After all this time, I still just don't see the appeal of Skrillex whatsoever. Do people genuinely like his electronic vomit or am I the only one not off my face on amphetamines? I've tried and tried liking just a tiny bit of Sonny's pill-popping dubstep project, but can't bring myself to finishing even one track without wanting to take a whole bottle of pills and wear fluoro and I am never going down that path. Don't get me started on what this guy did to Korn.

Can't believe this guy was the front-man of one of my all time favourite bands during my teenage years From First To Last.
03:04 AM on 10/10/11
Calzum
User Info.
Crappy album, even at Dubstep standards....
09:41 AM on 10/10/11
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Awesome album. I enjoy it.
07:27 AM on 10/11/11
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
Skrillex is terrible. All his drops are identical, his transitions aren't flawless and he pushes buttons on his laptop. He can't be categorized as a real dj if he doesn't even spin. I feel like his only fans come from the once angsty teens that cut their wrists and blacked their eyes.
08:56 PM on 10/12/11
zephyrsong12345
solitary WEASEL
User Info.
Sonny Moore is a sad excuse for a musician. Never been able to stand him.
10:00 PM on 10/12/11
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
I don't understand the appeal of dubstep whatsoever
11:30 AM on 10/16/11
Iownaps3
User Info.
This thread is filled with so much ignorance and stupidity...
11:36 AM on 10/16/11
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.

Expressing your opinion is neither ignorant nor stupid.
11:48 AM on 10/16/11
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
And it's all in your post.
02:16 PM on 10/16/11
Iownaps3
User Info.
Expressing your opinion is neither ignorant nor stupid.

An opinion can't be stupid, you're right, but it can be ignorant. Ignorance is not knowing something, if an opinion is uneducated, it's an ignorant opinion. I respect people's right to an opinion, as long as its educated.
06:51 AM on 10/21/11
farrrell504
User Info.
I Love Womp Womp Womp Music!!!
04:02 PM on 11/03/11
FromHereOnEvan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really don't understand dubstep, but this guy knows how to write songs, which just shows that it doesn't matter what medium you work in if you've got the skill to back it up.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version