AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Run For It - No You Ain't, We Is Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Run For It - No You Ain't, We Is

Reviewed by: WeWereGiants (10/08/11)
Run For ItNo You Ain’t, We Is
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: September 17th 2011

Everybody has a certain band or album that sounds best driving around with the windows down, and everybody loves the memories that those albums bring back. Run For It are a pop punk band from Pennsylvania featuring ex-members of Bangarang and Sincerely Monroe whose new album is one of those albums that is sure to bring back memories of driving your friends and singing aloud at top volume.

The band have tweaked their craft on their first full length No You Ain’t, We Is which blends the lines of Pop Punk and Punk Rock extremely well creating a hard hitting, yet extremely catchy album that blows their first EP out of the water. The self-titled opening song is a perfect example of this, from the crashing guitars to the infectious chorus of “We run for it/We run for anything worth fighting for/We run for it/We run for it because these are our dreams” making it a perfect summer anthem for driving.

The sing-along continues into some of the album’s catchiest cuts like “No Way Out” and “Hidden In Plain Sight” with both sounding like early 'Fall Out Boy' material. However the album isn’t just sing-along’s and pumping pop punk with “In Ruin” featuring crunchy guitars, great gang vocals before Tony Conner lashes out at the haters “For years I’ve taken the worst/from the ones who’ve done nothing with their lives/I’ve always had your back, give me the respect I deserve/I think it’s time to call it quits on you.” The album lags a little in the middle with the somewhat out of place “Untitled Bonus Track” which, although a really catchy song and a nice break from the crush of the full band tracks, does mess with the pacing a bit.

"Untitled Bonus Track" however does serve as a nice intro to the second half of the album, the half where Run For It really shines, with the gritty pop punk of “Renewing Myself” calling back memories of early 2000’s Drive-Thru Records. The guitar work of Owen Grady and Jason Mack really shine through on “Minus One” and stand-out track “Idols” the latter being a perfect example of the bands do-it-yourself attitude and never-say-die resilience “The mirrors shows, how we all grow/I'd break that mirror just to show, a promise to never get old/A man broken, I hope that I never am/I won't get tired.”

The one-two punch of “Idols” and “Hitting Bottom” ends the album with a bang creating a microcosm of everything this band does well from crashing guitar work to infectious choruses, the skillful musicianship on “Hitting Bottom” also suggests that Run For It have more in store for us and could improve even further on their brand of pop punk. On first listen the album may not stick out as well as other pop punk albums from this year but after a few listens the choruses from “Idols”, “No Way Out” and “Hitting Bottom” will come back and haunt you like a ghost, so if you love fast, melodic pop punk give this band a few chances and they definitely won’t let you down.

8/10

Recommended If You Like Punk centric Pop-Punk; Living With Lions; Bangarang; A Punk version of Fall Out Boy’s Take This To Your Grave ; Carousel Kings.

Information Run For It are…
Tony Conner - Vocals,
Jason Mack - Guitar,
Owen Grady - Guitar/Backup Vocals,
Adam Berryann - Bass,
Scott Minner - Drums.

Tracklisting (* Indicates choice cuts)
01. Self-Titled
02. No Way Out *
03. Being The Better Man
04. Hidden In Plain Sight
05. In Ruin *
06. Untitled Bonus Track
07. Renewing Myself
08. Minus One
09. Idols *
10. Hitting Bottom

Click here to watch the video for Hidden In Plain Sight.
Stream the album and then buy it here

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News