AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mayday Parade - Mayday Parade Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.67
Musicianship 8.67
Lyrics 6.67
Production 8.67
Creativity 7.33
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Mayday Parade - Mayday Parade

Reviewed by: Rysker6 (10/09/11)
Mayday Parade - Mayday Parade
Record Label: ILG
Release Date: October 4th, 2011

“Oh well, oh well I still hope for the best” are among the first words Derek Sanders sings on Mayday Parade’s brand new album. Being the bands third full length LP and second post-Lancaster release, Mayday Parade find themselves at a crucial point in their career. Following up a debut record such as A Lesson In Romantics proved to be something the band had underestimated to an extent when putting out the sophomore Anywhere But Here. Met with mixed to negative reaction from fans and critics alike for reasons ranging from the change in style, to its many co-writers, not being ALIR pt. 2, or the most obvious; the absence of former leader Jason Lancaster. With that said, where do Mayday Parade find themselves in 2011?

Opening with the track “Oh well, oh well”, Mayday Parade begin with a slow balladesque introduction, typical Mayday, nothing new there. Around the 50 second marker the song turns into a full on rock bonanza, and we’re finally getting a taste of what Mayday Parade has to offer. The song is a solid opener, and also serves as the records first single. I admit I was mixed upon first hearing the song, but it grew on me. I had this feeling a few times onMayday Parade, but that’s not a bad thing necessarily. “No Heroes Allowed” follows suit and is a slow to mid tempo song with some strings added into the mix. Complimented by the infectious, yet dancey chorus “My hero she’s the last real dreamer I know”, Derrick Sanders sounds as confident as he ever has.

“When You See My Friends” and “You’re Dead Wrong” further prove that Mayday Parade is a far more cohesive effort than its predecessor. Among the records notable highlights is the track “Priceless”. Providing a solid rockfest, and an opening guitar riff that is quite honestly, pretty. Reaching the official halfway marker of Mayday Paradeis the song “Stay”. A slower song full of orchestral accompaniment, paired with Sanders trademark soft crooning is everything you’d expect from a slower Mayday song. Halfway into LP 3 and the most notable thing present is how confidant the band sounds this time around. Additionally, the noticeable re-introduction of dual vocals is an effective, and an extremely welcomed occurrence for the record.

Losing a band member is tough, losing a voice, a leader, is even tougher. Mayday Parade prove that they can do more than just get by in their post-Lancaster existence. Leading the charge of the latter half of LP 3 is “Call Me Hopeless, Not Romantic” which is sure to become a fan favorite. Following suit is the infectious “A Shot Across The Bow”. “Everything’s An Illusion” explodes as Sanders sings with every fiber of himself “Sleep well my friend”. Confidence people, confidence. Finally up to the plate is my favorite track off of Mayday Parade and that’s “Id Rather Make Mistakes Than Nothing At All” (Seriously, how Mayday Parade is that title?) This song is classic Mayday Parade, and ALIR diehards should devour this at any chance they get.

Closing out the record are “Without The Bitter, The Sweet Isn’t As Sweet”, an acoustic number where the band find themselves showing their countryish side. Ending the record is “Happy Endings Are Stories That Haven’t Ended Yet”. The track is very climactic as it builds to end what has been a true journey for a band who have very much found themselves again. Mayday Parade is probably the most authentically themselves that Mayday Parade have sounded well, ever. Rather than reinvent the modern rock wheel, Mayday Parade stick to doing what they do best, rocking. It’s been a long journey for the band that so many of us remember handing out a little EP in the Warped tour parking lot, just begging for us to listen too. I’ve waited a long time to say this, welcome back Mayday Parade.

Recommended If You Like: Mayday Parade; Go Radio; Taking Back Sunday with less drama; Rising from the ashes

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:44 PM on 10/27/11
Clockwork00
Write it on the walls and read it.
User Info.
Why isn't this in the reviews? And why doesn't it come up when I search for "Mayday Parade"? Weird stuff is goin' on in AP's review department. :/

Anyway, good review. You said a lot of what I was thinking, although I think something about the lyrics would have been welcome, since that's always been a constant point of discussion for Mayday fans.

It's "Derek," by the way. Also, "Rising from the ashes" killed me. XD
03:03 PM on 10/31/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Why isn't this in the reviews? And why doesn't it come up when I search for "Mayday Parade"? Weird stuff is goin' on in AP's review department. :/

Anyway, good review. You said a lot of what I was thinking, although I think something about the lyrics would have been welcome, since that's always been a constant point of discussion for Mayday fans.

It's "Derek," by the way. Also, "Rising from the ashes" killed me. XD
Thank you so much, really. I didn't know that anyone had even seen this to be honest, and I noticed the same thing when searching. Thanks for reading!
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests