AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Dessa - 10.14.11 (Part II)

Dessa - 10.14.11 (Part II)

Interviewed by
Dessa - 10.14.11 (Part II)This is the second installment of our interviews with Dessa, which focuses on Doomtree. Part I can be read here.

We all know the story of how you joined, but what would you say actually drew you to the crew?

I was a fan of Doomtree before I was a friend of the crew. And I was a friend of Doomtree before I was a member. I think I was drawn to the collective for the same reason everyone else is: they're authentic, charismatic, and they make irreppressible music.

Seems like an obvious question, but how did your involvement change the dynamics of the group given that you’re the only female?

Good question, but I might be the last to know the answer. If the guys change their behavior around me, I'd probably be the member with least awareness of the shift. Sort of a quantum dilemma.

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of being a hip hop collective?

I've never been a rapper without a collective--Doomtree has been the center of my professional life for as long as I've made art for a living. In a collective--well, our collective anyway--members share resources and knowledge that might take any single member many years to amass. For example, Lazerbeak manages the finances of the collective; he handles our taxes, runs payroll, and negotiates with our vendors. I run point on our hometown promotions: write the press releases, try to score some ink. If Lazerbeak and I couldn't rely on each other's skill sets, I'd have to get Quicken and he'd have to start a press rolodex and we'd each spend months embroiled in tasks that aren't nearly as satisfying as making art.

You’ve been a guest on many of the records that the other members have put out. Which would you say has been a favourite?

The song "Kid Gloves" was released on Doomtree's self-titled crew record; Lazerbeak produced it and Mike Mictlan and I rap on it. Every time Mike and I share a stage together, I'm pining to perform that song. I effing love rapping that one with Mike.

What about the False Hopes release – what’s your favourite been so far?

The sitter never reveals her favorite child, I'm afraid.

You just reached the Billboard 200 with a DYI model, which is extremely impressive and inspiring. How do you build on that? Do you think this success will affect your approach to future projects?

Ugh, such confusion. We hit #177 with Soundscan (they're the people who count how many records you sell), but there was a discrepancy with Billboard that week, so we didn't appear on the Top 200 charts. A girl could pout all day if she let herself. Castor, The Twin hit #8 on the Heatseekers chart and #26 on Rap/R&B, so I'll just have to console myself with that. As far as changing my approach--didn't occur to me. Our successes are still relatively modest and no matter what level we're working on, I'd hope our motivations would remain the same: make the best music we can and work like hell to promote our best material.

Why has the collective stuck to this business model? In what ways has this been beneficial and/or hurtful? Do you think this is the future of the music industry?

This model is the only one we know. We started as friends, and we built a business together to release and promote our music. The rest of industry can occupy itself with whatever tactics it likes, I don't follow it too closely.

What is it like touring by yourself vs. touring with the rest of the boys?

Doomtree sets are athletic marathons. They're sweaty and ferocious. The music is loud and the energy stays high all night. You burn a lot of calories on a Doomtree stage. My sets backed by the live band are part rap show, part cabaret--they run on dry banter and rap narratives, the occasional torch song.

On a related note, what are the go to albums for a long drive on a Dessa and/or Doomtree tour? What selections would no one ever guess came out of the van speakers?

We listen to podcasts most of the time. I'm not sure that most Doomtree fans would expect us to be blasting Radiolab, but that's what we do.

How did the recording of No Kings go? Any new details that you can share with us? We’re all anxious to know more about it.

Doomtree sequestered itself in a cabin with several bottles of booze and a week of sandwich fixings. For several days, we played beats on repeat and stayed up til just before dawn. By the time the provisions were consumed, we had the better of No Kings written.

If you were stuck on a deserted island, which Doomtree member would you want to be stuck with you and why? We mean no harm by this!

Ander Other, our technologically masterful intern. He'd fashion a wifi hub from seashells within an hour. Helicopter rescue by nightfall.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
11:51 AM on 10/20/11
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
I loved this interview even more than the first.
12:08 PM on 10/20/11
Oddpac87
http://www.mixcloud.com/APFC/
User Info.
Great job on these Lueda.
12:11 PM on 10/20/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Unbelievably excited that her favorite song is "Kid Gloves" -- my favorite Doomtree song by a good margin and Mike's second verse is one of my favorites in hip hop history. And they're podcast fans. Awesome.

Another great interview! Keep 'em coming.
Her answer to the last question made me laugh out loud. So awesome.
12:18 PM on 10/20/11
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
These questions are really good.
12:21 PM on 10/20/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
These questions are really good.
I know right?
12:22 PM on 10/20/11
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
01:23 PM on 10/20/11
MADSTA
~
User Info.
Unbelievably excited that her favorite song is "Kid Gloves" -- my favorite Doomtree song by a good margin and Mike's second verse is one of my favorites in hip hop history. And they're podcast fans. Awesome.

Another great interview! Keep 'em coming.
I definitely feel like Dessa and I should be good friends since she said that about Kid Gloves. My fave Doomtree song as well.
02:19 PM on 10/20/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
"a quantum dilemma"

Love this woman.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT