Password

Album Review

Silverstein - Arrivals and Departures Album Cover

Silverstein - Arrivals and Departures

Reviewed by
Silverstein - Arrivals and Departures
Released July 3rd, 2007
Victory Records

To say I have a slight interest in Silverstein is somewhat of an understatement. It started with When Broken Is Easily Fixed. Back then, we saw a much more volatile band -- perhaps verging more on screamo bands of the past like Heroin or Indian Summer rather than adhering to the number of other growing styles within the genre at the turn of the century. Despite this, there are some dead-set on railing these guys for various things simply because of their association with Victory. I'd love to sidestep into that crowd, but I can't erase that feeling of "oh, this is something" I had when first hearing the song "November". Come time for a third proper full-length, however, Silverstein are significantly more comfortable in the scene they've gradually become a staple within. Veering away from the seemingly no-limit hardcore the band grew up getting a feel for, they've instead implanted a sort of pop/post-hardcore venture within the confines of Arrivals and Departures.

Whether it spawns from Silverstein's killer list of influences or something thats less of a stretch, this band just does something right. I'd figure the band's perpetual use of catchy elements, commonly found in choruses, and their outright post-hardcore composure would be an abrasive combination. However, Arrivals and Departures sees the band pull it off nearly flawlessly. This is not to say Silverstein is the second-coming, but its refreshing for me to find a band with "Screamo" listed under the genre assortment in Myspace that doesn't turn me in the other direction almost immediately.

There is something almost cringe-worthy about the lyrical element in the album, though. Vocalist Shane Told gets more shit as a vocalist than a lyricist, which is almost laughable considering I have much less of a problem with his singing capability than his ability to write a verse that doesn't come off as "this has been said a million times before". Told is able to carry a chorus quite well this time around, actually. "Worlds Apart" finds him do just that towards the last half of the song, that furthers the notion that not all of the meat of Arrivals and Departures lies just in those two or three single-worthy tracks. The album holds some other surprises in the vocal department, such as a notable gangchant in "My Disaster" and several well-placed screams from either Shane or bassist Bill Hamilton (I can never tell which one is doing it, unfortunately). The above are all perfectly mixed and produced. In fact, the entire album is. There'll always be a knitpicker in the crowd disagreeing about production, but seriously, the casual listener won't have a second thought about Trombino's work this time around.

Silverstein could have done a bit more to help differentiate this album from Discovering the Waterfront, but all in all Arrivals and Departures is a thoroughly more satisfying than the 2005 full-length. "Sound of the Sun" and "If You Could See Into My Soul" are both fantastic songs and sort of hallmarks of the band's growth since we last heard from them. Neil Boshart and Josh Bradford display an improved in both the technical/progressive ("If You Could See Into My Soul") and low-tempo amble ("True Romance") styles. Paul Koehler and Bill Hamilton make up quite an underrated rhythm section. It's neither florid nor bombastic, but they get the job done with a sort of flair all their own. The album is better for it because even if you're only five songs in on your first spin of the album, you'll notice its an attention-grabbing set of songs that ultimately make up a more rewarding listen than Discovering the Waterfront.

Arrivals and Departures may not be album-of-the-year worthy by any means, but its a solid album that is without a doubt Silverstein's best to date. We've seen the band slowly grow out of their hardcore roots into a pop-tinged post-hardcore prodigy, and I'm glad I've seen the progression since I was first coaxed by a friend into buying their debut. Victory has put out some great albums by bands like 1997 and The Junior Varsity this year, and now that we've seen what Silverstein can do this time around -- let's ease up, eh? Hostility in a scene as fragile as this one is something best avoided. Regardless, I think this is the Silverstein everyone has been waiting to hear since we first heard how promising they were some four years ago.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
12:18 AM on 07/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great review, you've convinced me to give this a shot.
02:54 AM on 07/02/07
Mattx
User Info.
I've never been a big fan of Silverstein but was pleasantly surprised by this. Sure, as the review says this doesn't break any new ground in its genre but Silverstein do pull it off really well, which is certainly worthy of credit. For me this album actually seems like a bit of a departure from the previous efforts of Silverstein, something that I preferred, so if you've written this band off I suggest giving this album a chance. It's nothing revolutionary but it isn't bad at all.
06:13 AM on 07/02/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I've never been a big fan of Silverstein but was pleasantly surprised by this. Sure, as the review says this doesn't break any new ground in its genre but Silverstein do pull it off really well, which is certainly worthy of credit. For me this album actually seems like a bit of a departure from the previous efforts of Silverstein, something that I preferred, so if you've written this band off I suggest giving this album a chance. It's nothing revolutionary but it isn't bad at all.

Well said.
06:32 AM on 07/02/07
4N6 science
You look nice today.
User Info.
i like the review. i got into silverstein about a year and half ago and they've grown on me ever since. i will definitely pick this up.
06:51 AM on 07/02/07
Hainzey X
destiny found.
User Info.
nice review man. definitly gonna be picking this up tommorow. does anyone know anything about stores that are carrying versions with bonus tracks, free downlaods, bonus dvd, ect. ?
07:12 AM on 07/02/07
Momo32T
User Info.
Thanks Scott, your review gave me a sigh of relief. I preordered the album (should be getting it today I guess) and I was concerned that this album would falter based on some hater posts in regards to "If You Could See Into My Soul" and "Sound Of The Sun", even though I enjoyed both songs. Still, when I saw them at Bamboozle under the name xcanuksx the new songs they played sounded great. "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" (aka the tribute song to Beats of Bayside) seemed suprisingly fresh for Silverstein, while "My Disaster" proved that Silverstein isn't abandoning their hardcore influences. I am glad you believe that one of my favorite bands is taking a step forward, even if its a small one at that.
07:13 AM on 07/02/07
Momo32T
User Info.
nice review man. definitly gonna be picking this up tommorow. does anyone know anything about stores that are carrying versions with bonus tracks, free downlaods, bonus dvd, ect. ?

Best buy includes two bonus tracks
07:14 AM on 07/02/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Solid review; I'll be getting this one tomorrow. I like your statements about the fragile scene in your closing paragraph.

2 edits that I would make... in the 2nd paragraph change they're to their. I'd also nix irregardless in the final sentence. Not to be too picky or anything.
07:33 AM on 07/02/07
LithiumxChaos
User Info.
good review, picking it up this weekend.
08:00 AM on 07/02/07
ACA
Next Show: RIOT FEST CHICAGO!!!!!!!
User Info.
Good CD; not their best.
08:10 AM on 07/02/07
TBSguitar
Odd Man Out
User Info.
it's definitely "Discovering The Waterfront: Part 2" but not as good of songs. Some are great, but others get boring with the lack of good lyrics and such. Good review though.
08:18 AM on 07/02/07
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
it's definitely "Discovering The Waterfront: Part 2" but not as good of songs. Some are great, but others get boring with the lack of good lyrics and such.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This album lacks progression.
09:03 AM on 07/02/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
Solid review; I'll be getting this one tomorrow. I like your statements about the fragile scene in your closing paragraph.

2 edits that I would make... in the 2nd paragraph change they're to their. I'd also nix irregardless in the final sentence. Not to be too picky or anything.
Or just change it to regardless...
09:07 AM on 07/02/07
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
"Irregardless" is not the correct term, as it uses two negatives. You just want "regardless."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos