AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Interpol - Our Love to Admire Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.17
Lasting Value 9.58
Reviewer Tilt 9.67
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Interpol - Our Love to Admire

Reviewed by: shaysexpanther (07/04/07)
Interpol - Our Love to Admire

A quick couple clicks on Wikipedia can tell you what the definition of Equilibrioception is:

"Equilibrioception or sense of balance is one of the physiological senses. It allows humans and animals to walk without falling."

Our Love to Admire is the personification of Equilibrioception. It's a high wire act made to look easy, a passionate fight between two opposing forces that can't have one winner. Old and New have to meet somewhere, right? Life is a straight line with no breaks and Interpol has found that space in-between to settle down in. That place where somber depression and fun in the face of doubt connect. That place where drowning lungs meet hearts on fire. That place where Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics meld in a wonderfully harmonious way. This is the polar assault that Our Love to Admire fights in a great measure, but thankfully, this is no losing battle. Interpol have returned forlorn and tired, but they're in no way ready to give up all they've won just yet.

It should come as no surprise then that quite a few of the lyrics bring up fighting: "I'll take you on / I'll take you all on" "I came to fight / I am in the air" "Slow decay / I won't stop fighting". This record knows what it is, but pushes on nonetheless, touching on themes of restlessness, breaking up, and breaking down along the way. Their debut dealed with loneliness as a whole, but Our Love to Admire brings up it's causes and why thing go awry in such a horrible way. It's almost apocalyptic in its breadth, complete with self-destructive topics and harrowing imagery. It's a manic-depressive's descent into the abyss, but it's a fall met with a sentient grace rather than an incongruent stumble.

The album rings like the bells on a church during your funeral. Sure, it's got it's fair share of bereft rockers ("The Heinrich Maneuver", "Mammoth", "Who Do You Think?"), but a majority of the record is a dirge...yet somehow it still manages to be uplifting. It rolls along with the pace of a heartbeat, pounding its way into your subconscious like "NYC" used to so many years back. The band has thoroughly improved over the years too. Long gone are the days of solitary echoes and strums propelling a song from beginning to end. Changes of pace are standard now, making each verbal twist of affliction that much more gripping. Human relationships are still the centerfold, but Our Love to Admire is more like a book off the shelf, as opposed to Antics' magazine off the rack. This is a much more focused and hard earned effort by the band (the pain Daniel Kessler suffered from that toxin laden 50 year old guitar was well worth it to create the most immense track on the record, "The Lighthouse"), giving Our Love to Admire a depth that consumes the listener and a voice that speaks with authority.

That voice belongs to front man, Paul Banks. He's always taken risks with his writing, but the key to his lyricism is that, when it's good, it actual compels you to come up with a meaning when it's not obvious. On the previous album, he seemed to think he could get away with whatever he could think up. He seemed lost, without direction, and almost on the verge of burning out. Now he's back with a grander scope and much more confidence in what he's throwing at us, attacking the record with a fighter's spirit. Turn on the Bright Lights was him giving his best shot, Antics saw him emptying the tank, and now Our Love to Admire is his exhaustive final stand, a pensive response to his world weary travels. He's more earnest in his tone, allowing the listener to find their own trust and meaning in the words, much akin to Turn on the Bright Lights, but also nearly as talkative as Antics. You could truly get swept up in a majority of these relatable lines and getting them stuck in your head for days should be no problem. Once again, there's a balance between the two worlds of their preceding records, a comfortable peace worth getting lost in.

Let's be real though: There will never be another Turn on the Bright Lights. There will never be another Antics, either. Our Love to Admire confirms some people's worst fears and other's wildest hopes. On the surface, it may seem like a retread, but just like anything that's any good in this life, a second look below the exterior can reveal so much more. Interpol once again inhabit that big city atmosphere, but they've arrived at a point in their careers where they can take on everyone in that city at once, instead of one lonely soul at a time. They've achieved total Equilibrioception with a bold scope and heartfelt sentiment towards their music that's been missing since their debut. Our Love to Admire isn't a landmark like Turn on the Bright Lights has become, but in the five years since they kick started emotional Post Punk from the shallow grave it was buried in at the end of the 80s, they've proven themselves to be capable of dropping a notably fantastic record that anyone worth their red neck ties and black suits can appreciate as one of the year's finest. This is what Interpol's always been, what they never were...and what they'll never be again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
06:15 PM on 07/06/07
airik625
you mess with the bull...
User Info.
Wow, great review. Awesome album
10:38 PM on 07/06/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
fantastic review, really really great.

I need this album.
02:12 PM on 07/07/07
sandro
Sandro Jua˝dez
User Info.
I love this album. Track #1 is epic.
10:28 PM on 07/07/07
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
this cd is awesome.
07:59 AM on 07/09/07
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
awesome review, will pick up the cd when i have the chance
08:21 AM on 07/09/07
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
I think it's as good as their debut, if not better
08:33 AM on 07/09/07
angelusdomini
Thiago (Tee-Ah-Go)
User Info.
great CD
07:38 AM on 07/10/07
tuxiboy
Polarbear
User Info.
I've seen this band live and it was really boring. The band seemed very uninspired. Haven't heard much of their studio work, though.
07:40 AM on 07/10/07
angelusdomini
Thiago (Tee-Ah-Go)
User Info.
I saw them live also and was not impressed.
It wasn't a bad show, just nothing special about it at all.

I do enjoy all the stuff they've put out though.
10:00 AM on 07/10/07
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
excellent cd, it'll be stuck in my head for a while.
07:52 PM on 07/29/07
AlexisonfireNZ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've seen this band live and it was really boring. The band seemed very uninspired. Haven't heard much of their studio work, though.

It might seem to be boring because some of us are into more a active onstage performance from our other music. I like how they really laid back, collective and really (dare i say it) 'new wave' like.

I really like the review and Interpol = awwwwesome
04:25 PM on 12/12/07
cocopops07
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Seen them live. One word:AMAZING! They finished up with PDA, they played 'Stella...', and they played lighthouse which has got to be the best piece of music played in front of my eyes EVER. Heres the URL if you wana see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmloCrPQ9gg. LOVE the new album. Especially Mammoth and Lighthouse. They both really got to me
02:56 PM on 11/26/08
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
Wow, I couldn't agree more with this review
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives