Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 34.
03:46 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I like your central idea and comparison you use to form your critique. You have multiple errors in grammar and spelling though that detract from the quality and validity of your review. I would suggest rereading your review just for any errors or awkward sentence structure. It will make your review that much better. For example This structure is just awkward. If you said something like, " 'The Worst In Me' begins the album with a dark sounding orchestration." I feel as if it would just be easier to read and have a better flow. I do not mean this in a condescending way, or to sound pompous or pretentious. Just some constructive criticism. I really like the reference to the Resident Evil films it was a great way to start the review. I have yet to listen to this album. I thought their debut was mediocre. The song You Won't Be Missed, although it lacks originality sounded pretty great for the genre. This song made me semi-excited for the album

No offense taken, duly noted, and will be fixed when I'm not on mobile AP. Thank you for both the compliment and the criticism! If you liked that song I'd listen to "Faithless Living" and "Praise Feeder" for sure, as they aren't breakdown crammed songs (though they are very much there). Thanks again!
06:11 AM on 11/14/11
deadelement
magic asian
User Info.
Decent review and pretty valid points, though standard (as are the flaws of this album) as they are.

In particular,

"The clean vocals, too, seemed to have regressed either by means of overproduction or by wear and tear on Roetter"

I was really disappointed with the new version of "Real Talk", thought Chris' singing got worse and the creative changes from the EP turned out worse (like the ending).
06:30 AM on 11/14/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
good RE comparison and good review but this album is so generic that i would've given it close to a zero. completely forgettable, and seems it was made as a guilty pleasure, an instant gratification for breakdown junkies. i've come to stop expecting anything good from metalcore these days. if it doesn't come close to tdwp's dead throne or abr's leveler, i never come back to it. there are bands that are not oversaturating the scene with this senseless garbage (i.e. the bands mentioned prior) and this is an embarrassment. at least bands like transit, man overboard, a loss for words, and tdwp are doing all they can to redeem this label, but 75% of rise bands need to be dropped. rant over.

Idk, I love metalcore in general and while I can surely see the genericness I feel that generic is often confused with 'bad'. This album (non subjectively) would be maybe 3.5/5 stars for me perhaps 3. While TDWP's DT was a showcase of better talent it was very forgettable. Coming from a longtime fan, after listening to it 4-5times I'm good.
08:06 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Idk, I love metalcore in general and while I can surely see the genericness I feel that generic is often confused with 'bad'. This album (non subjectively) would be maybe 3.5/5 stars for me perhaps 3. While TDWP's DT was a showcase of better talent it was very forgettable. Coming from a longtime fan, after listening to it 4-5times I'm good.
Not to be argumentative but I think typically generic equates to bad, in terms of musicianship. It could be fun, sure, but I would much rather listen to something that stands out.
08:32 AM on 11/14/11
pj4353
Pj Pajamas
User Info.
Word I'll check it out bro. Great review of Conversation Piece as well. Are you a music major?
08:43 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Word I'll check it out bro. Great review of Conversation Piece as well. Are you a music major?
Nah I'm not, I'm still in high school. Thanks though man!
10:03 AM on 11/14/11
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nah I'm not, I'm still in high school. Thanks though man!
i honestly think u are a jerk off and do not know what u are listening too
10:21 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
i honestly think u are a jerk off and do not know what u are listening too
Thanks for the input!
10:49 AM on 11/14/11
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
i honestly enjoy this record, i'm not much on full blown metalcore, but i enjoy this guys screams. and a lot of the chorus's on this album are catchy as hell, especially on you won't be missed. so imo the debut lp is much better than the ep. still it is nothing ground breaking but i do enjoy this album over many in this genre.
11:00 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
i honestly enjoy this record, i'm not much on full blown metalcore, but i enjoy this guys screams. and a lot of the chorus's on this album are catchy as hell, especially on you won't be missed. so imo the debut lp is much better than the ep. still it is nothing ground breaking but i do enjoy this album over many in this genre.
Yeah I could listen to this more than the EP. They progressed, (except Roetter's clean vocals in my opinion) but I would have liked to have seen more of that
11:29 AM on 11/14/11
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
Yeah I could listen to this more than the EP. They progressed, (except Roetter's clean vocals in my opinion) but I would have liked to have seen more of that
yeah i agree they progressed but it'd been nice to see a little more of it. but the clean vox to me are great. maybe it's that they show up when they need to, i'm not real sure, but i love the cleans in you won't be missed and faithless living. you won't be missed is by far the highlight on this album for me.
11:39 AM on 11/14/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
At first I thought the beginning comparison was to the Resident Evil games, at which point I was about to get upset because RE4 is fantastic and amazing. However, your film critiques are accurate and so is this review!

The first demo they ever released "Dead Routine" had my hopes up for this band, but I have zero interest now. The Dead Routine on their last EP was much worse than the demo as well. It's a shame, Emarosa's This Is Your Way Out had such incredible vocals and lyrics. I don't think we'll ever hear anything that good from Roetter again.

Sadly, this.
12:52 PM on 11/14/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
At first I thought the beginning comparison was to the Resident Evil games, at which point I was about to get upset because RE4 is fantastic and amazing. However, your film critiques are accurate and so is this review!

The first demo they ever released "Dead Routine" had my hopes up for this band, but I have zero interest now. The Dead Routine on their last EP was much worse than the demo as well. It's a shame, Emarosa's This Is Your Way Out had such incredible vocals and lyrics. I don't think we'll ever hear anything that good from Roetter again.

qft
04:30 PM on 11/14/11
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
if you give an album a 4/5 but say it's forgettable, then i don't understand your logic on ratings, although they're already abstract and subjective in nature. if dead throne was forgettable with 4/5, then lmtf's album (3.5/5) is absolute garbage, right?

nonetheless, dead throne is leaps and bounds above this. they travel out of genericore by mixing ambiance and hard-hitting chugs on kansas, and creatively shred to the best of abilities with songs like constance. and that's only two songs. the only things i can remember from this album were those times when i heard chugs, breakdown after breakdown, and senseless overdone lyrics. fun? maybe for 1 listen. honestly, i couldn't even get through the whole album.
11:03 PM on 11/14/11
First_And_Last
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You know that Chris didn't do the cleans on the EP, right? Their bassist left the band when vocals were being recorded, so Chris did them on the full-length.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums