Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
01:04 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Really disappointed that this is the second single. It sounds like a bad AVA b-side IMO.
01:12 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
For some songs on the album, I get this criticism, but I can't get on board for any that include Mark in them.

Same here, but this one doesn't have Mark on it which is why I feel that way. Mark saved the album for me. If there had been another song that sounded anything close to Love Is Dangerous on the album I may have been tempted to write the thing off as a let down.

EDIT: Was totally thinking of Wishing Well for some reason. Retract statement (even though I don't think After Midnight is that good either).
01:14 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
For some songs on the album, I get this criticism, but I can't get on board for any that include Mark in them.

Wow, I was thinking of Wishing Well for some reason. Nevermind.
01:17 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Out of all the songs you think sound like AVA you think After Midnight is? Definitely the one song on the whole album that sounds anything close to what the self titled album was imo

I think that Up All Night, This is Home, and (to some degree) Kaleidoscope all sound like the self-titled. I can agree that the chorus of After Midnight sounds like the self titled, but I don't like how slow it is. I guess its all opinion anyway.
01:32 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
In regards to previous comments..

I really fucking hate seeing songs off Neighborhoods being called "too much like Angels and Airwaves", or other phrases along those lines. Of course there going to have some tracks that sound like they could have been written by Angels, they have the same singer/guitarist/songwriter! It's bound to happen! But Neighborhoods is very much Blink.

And I put it to you that had Asthenia been released on Neighborhoods, it would have instantly been regarded as too AVA-ish. The seeds had already been sewn in Blinks sound.

Rant over.

I see what you're saying, and I partially agree, but Asthenia was put out before AVA existed, so if AVA had never come to be I doubt they would have continued to go down that road. But with Tom writing songs that way for six or seven years it bled into the new blink album. And sure they have the same singer/guitarist/songwriter but you didn't hear Alexisonfire putting out a bunch of songs that sounded like City & Colour did you?
02:44 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
AVA songs were blink demos.

Yes; they would have gone down that road.

Are you saying the album blink would have put out if they hadn't broken up would sound like Whisper? Not likely at all.
11:15 PM on 11/30/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Yeah, they would have. Because Tom took the songs blink was working on and recorded them for AVA. Blink would have most certainly sounded at least somewhat like AVA. Songs on untitled sound a lot like AVA to begin with.

He used ideas from blink demos for AVA songs. To infer from that that blink would have sounded like AVA down the road is pretty unrealistic. I doubt that their sound would have gotten any closer to AVA than it was on the self-titled.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests