AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Cozyrs - 11.30.11

Interviewed by
The Cozyrs - 11.30.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Cozyrs

http://thecozyrs.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/thecozyrs

1. How did you get your band name?
It’s maybe a long story. Mark got a microphone for his twelfth birthday, which is a pretty weird birthday present for a twelve-year-old, but he asked for it, which is maybe even weirder. Mark was pretty unhinged, even back then. He used to record himself screaming at the top of his lungs because it seemed hilarious at the time. Fab somehow also thought this was hilarious, so he got in on the action. So now there were two twelve-year-olds hiding in the basement and screaming into a microphone whenever their parents were gone, smashing old jugs and running vacuum cleaners in the background to fill out the sound. Mark just named the band The Cozyrs completely randomly before one of these scream-fests, and for some reason, it’s stuck. Later, Fab’s parents got him a cheap electric guitar with a tiny black amp that you were supposed to clip onto your belt buckle and walk around with as you played. Not knowing any better, we thought this was awesome, so we actually used it to start writing music. The rest is history. Some might say we haven’t really come very far since.

2. How did this band get started?
See above.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
That’s hard to say, because the music we made in the beginning was absolutely nothing like any of the music we liked. We loved The Dead Milkmen, especially the Beelzebubba album, and we sounded a lot like Wesley Willis (though we’d never heard of him back then). Most of our earlier stuff was just ridiculous profanity, like Willis and the Milkmen. Now we’re into the White Stripes and Death From Above, 1979, because both singers have that high-pitched, glass-smashing voice that Mark has. Johnny Marr was a huge influence on Fab’s guitar playing, and The Future of the Left was a huge influence on the sound we were going for. The Pixies were great too, of course.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Arcade Fire. And we could sit in a drum circle with them and talk about how flowers and patchouli oil are just the best.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
We don’t tour, so we don’t know. But pizza’s good.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I don’t know. We like it, and that’s about all the thought we’ve put into it. We’d be doing this even if we didn’t have a single listener, so any fans are just gravy. Also, we’re very handsome and I think that comes through in our music.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Uhhh, probably a baseball player. They look like they don’t have to work very hard.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Whoever bribed the judges on our behalf.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
For the love of God, Music Industry, will you please stop churning out the same old crap and putting it on heavy rotation for months and months until I actually know all of the words to a Lady Gaga song completely against my own will? I think it’s a violation of the Geneva Convention. If it’s not, it needs to be.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We haven’t toured before. We’re pretty much a studio band (studio being Fab’s basement).

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is one of the most badass sites on the internet, because it gives as much exposure to completely unknown bands like us as it does to established artists. And what’s more punk than a level playing field?

12. What is your favorite song to play?
As a band, I think we’ve probably had the most fun playing an old song of ours called “Gini.” We did that one live at a party in a friend’s basement, and it went over well. Mark’s spent years trying to master “Winter Solstice,” while Fab just likes to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Japan.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I think both of us would say New Order for sure. We were into that electronic stuff back in the ‘80s.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
We’re already highly super-powered. We wouldn’t want to hog them all. That’s not fair to other non-super-powered bands.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Nope.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Our existence.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
See number 9.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We actually brewed our own beer once - Cozyrs Ale. It was terrible. We couldn’t get through half a bottle.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We are both very good in the sack.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums