AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Alex DiVincenzo

Written by: Alex DiVincenzo (12/01/11)
1. The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All and Now I'm Nothing
Against all odds, The Wonder Years have released the best album for the second consecutive year. Listening to them reminds of me of why I feel in love with this kind of music in the first place: that impossible connection that seems like every word, every note was written for you. They have never let their fans down, and I hope they make the hat trick in 2012.

2. Transit - Listen & Forgive
I have been watching Transit blossom for some time now as they refined their sound with each release, and they may have perfected it this time around. It's great to see that they are finally beginning to get the recognition they deserve. I foresee both the progress and the popularity of the band to continue growing in the years to come.

3. La Dispute - Wildlife
I know it sounds trite, but La Dispute's latest effort literally gave me chills the first time I heard it. It's essentially poetry set to music, with the eloquent threnodies relaying somber stories through the narrator's vulnerable voice.

4. Defeater - Empty Days and Sleepless Nights
Defeater has, quite easily, released the best hardcore album this year. The latest chapter in their ambitious conceptual tale ups the ante from their debut. The addition of an acoustic coda is a nice touch as well.

5. Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me
Touche Amore continue their impressive career with their best effort to date. This kind of passion seems to be increasingly rare these days, but they do it right. The lyrics are honest, the vocals are desperate and the music is raw; when they all come together, it's a thing of beauty.

6. The Story So Far - Under Soil and Dirt
I have been jocking The Story So Far since their first EP, and it's great that people are finally starting to take notice. If The Wonder Years are the current forerunners of pop punk, The Story So Far are making a strong argument to be second in command. At this rate, they could be on top in the future.

7. Childish Gambino - Camp
I am admittedly not a fan of hip hop, but for whatever reason I connect with Childish Gambino. The lyrical content walks the fine line between candid and humorous, delivering both poignancy and punchlines without missing a beat. Donald Glover's rap career taking off almost makes up for Community being shelved... almost.

8. Bayside - Killing Time
I have said it before and I will say it again: Bayside is by far one of the most consistent bands in the scene. Every album they put out is rock solid, and their latest effort is no different. There's a reason the band's fanbase is lovingly referred to as a cult.

9. Man Overboard - Man Overboard
Although I have always been a big fan of Man Overboard, I feared that their appeal may wear thin over time. After all, they've released upwards of 50 songs in their mere four years of existence. Thankfully, they seem to be taking a page out of New Found Glory's book by releasing consistently good pop punk tunes without looking to reinvent themselves with each release.

10. Direct Hit - Domesplitter
Direct Hit really caught me by surprise. Imagine old The Wonder Years partying hard with Andrew WK and writing high energy pop punk songs based on the imagination of a hyperactive 8 year-old. I often find myself returning to this album after wearing out others in far less time. Sometimes you just need to forget the tribulations of everyday life and listen to some fun music.

11. Fireworks - Gospel
12. Saves the Day - Daybreak
13. Junior Battles - Idle Ages
14. A Loss For Words - No Sanctuary
15. Dan Adriano In The Emergency Room - Hurricane Season
16. Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
17. Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor
18. Pianos Become the Teeth - The Lack Long After
19. Balance and Composure - Separation
20. The Swellers - Good For Me
21. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business - Gold Rush
22. Title Fight - Shed
23. New Found Glory - Radiosurgery
24. The New & Very Welcome - What Will You Do When It Happens To You?
25. Patent Pending - Second Family

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
10:51 AM on 12/27/11
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
FINALLY someone offers some love for Gold Rush. "Misery" and "Had To Be There" are two of my favorite tracks this year.
10:56 AM on 12/27/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
thank god, I was afraid that no one would mention Gold Rush
11:02 AM on 12/27/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
FINALLY someone offers some love for Gold Rush. "Misery" and "Had To Be There" are two of my favorite tracks this year.
thank god, I was afraid that no one would mention Gold Rush
I was surprised it didn't get more love. I know it's a departure from his last album, but I prefer it.
11:09 AM on 12/27/11
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was surprised it didn't get more love. I know it's a departure from his last album, but I prefer it.
It didn't make my list because there's a few meh tracks in there, but at least four songs are just sensational. Ace is just too damn likable.
11:11 AM on 12/27/11
gurby
the kids can't lose
User Info.
my list is probably most similar to yours. therefore, i like it. a lot.
11:23 AM on 12/27/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
my list is probably most similar to yours. therefore, i like it. a lot.
11:57 AM on 12/27/11
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Nice hat, dude.
12:30 PM on 12/27/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Thanks! Only cost me about 40 grand.
12:34 PM on 12/27/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I agree with no list more than I agree with this one.
01:35 PM on 12/27/11
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
#18-22
01:40 PM on 12/27/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
The World We Know was better for me, but I think it's still really good, something different for sure. Will be in my top 5
02:14 PM on 12/27/11
roachguy1
@Boomersboro Did u say dick cream?
User Info.
fuck yes direct hit! thank you so much for listing them. Theyre very unknown and underrated for sure. Anytime I need a boost and some fun singalong energy I just them on, so awesome
02:40 PM on 12/27/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
fuck yes direct hit! thank you so much for listing them. Theyre very unknown and underrated for sure. Anytime I need a boost and some fun singalong energy I just them on, so awesome
Agreed. They have filled the void left by The Wonder Years since they abandoned their Get Stoked On It-era sound. (Don't get me wrong - all of TWY's stuff after that is far superior in every way, but that record is so fun.)
03:22 PM on 12/27/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
The line in the Childish Gambino blurb about almost wanting Community to be cancelled so Donald continues his rap career...I was all about your list up until that point. But seriously, some great albums on here; no surprise with TWY at #1.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version