Username
Password

07:41 AM on 01/15/12 
User Info.
Godfather4182
No Avatar Selected
Knoxville
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm in my first year now. I applied to eight programs and it was a pretty brutal process. I don't know about anyone else but getting letters of recommendation was like pulling teeth. Hands down, waiting to hear back is the worst part though.
09:56 AM on 01/15/12 
User Info.
horsetheman
CT
Male - 27 Years Old
I thought the interviews were the worst. I feel like a lot of them were intentionally going out of their way to bust balls.
04:00 PM on 01/16/12 
User Info.
JALT
Professional Concertgoer
Female - 28 Years Old
I'm in my first year now. I applied to eight programs and it was a pretty brutal process. I don't know about anyone else but getting letters of recommendation was like pulling teeth. Hands down, waiting to hear back is the worst part though.

I'm completing my Master's right now, and while my letters of rec weren't really difficult to get, just psyching myself up enough to ask was the most painful part. Plus reminders, getting them on time, etc. I'm already stressed about getting more for my PhD. I'd gladly pay twice the application fee if they waived the letters.
04:25 PM on 01/19/12 
User Info.
Godfather4182
No Avatar Selected
Knoxville
Male - 26 Years Old
... Plus reminders, getting them on time, etc.

This was what I was referring to. I had one professor I asked for the letter four months ahead and he was still late getting it in.
01:20 PM on 01/26/12 
User Info.
RyBall
www.ryball.com
Dayton, OH
Male
I'm a Sophomore in college right now already thinking about Grad Schools; I was just wondering if anyone would care to take the time to talk about the process a little bit!

I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications!
11:17 PM on 02/14/12 
User Info.
gjpinizz
Life With People
Seattle, WA
Male - 23 Years Old
thinking about going to seminary. probably wont happen this fall since i've waited so long. but I'll proabably do it eventually if I don't figure out something else to do
09:10 AM on 02/15/12 
User Info.
reachforthesun
'take me to where the kids drink'
detroit, mi
Male
i would suggest getting your employer to pay for grad school if possible- most big companies pay up to 5k a year for education (that's 2-3 classes) while you work full time. im just wrapping up my MS degree (took about 4 years this way) and then headed into my PhD this fall. All of my MS classes have been part-time and completely paid for by work.

I've also enjoyed quite a bit of perks from work (getting to leave early, boss gives me time to work on some hw, etc.) and will be getting a nice big raise in a few weeks because of my studies. honestly, I would not have paid my own way- it's too expensive and the pay off of having the piece of paper does not compare with professional experience. if you can handle working full time and school part time, i'd definitely go for it.
01:52 PM on 02/15/12 
User Info.
TwelveTribes230
<>
Saugus, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
I should be starting my masters classes by next year in Management with a concentration in information technology. Lucky my current college has a plus one program where they wave all fees and the GMAT test...just need a 3.2 GPA or higher. Also getting a letter grade of B or higher in the 6 "foundation courses" allows you to not have to take the graduate equivalent of the courses. So...if I go full time, I'll get my masters in one year.
02:08 PM on 02/15/12 
User Info.
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
Chicago, IL
Male - 25 Years Old
Current in my first year of grad school at Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois studying quantitative psychology. It's kind of a bit of culture shock to me to move all the way out here considering I'm originally from Virginia. It's all definitely worth it in the end though. I get a degree which will very likely get me a good job or enable me to get into a solid PhD program should I decide to go that route (Depends on whether or not I really enjoy doing my thesis). I have an assistantship that pays for my tuition too. I get a small stipend with that too, which isn't that great, but I can definitely live on it. It does cut into my vinyl budget a lot, but that's something I can deal with.

General advice: Don't pay for grad school unless you absolutely need to. Don't be afraid to go to a smaller institution if they give you money. That's what I did and I don't regret it one bit.
08:34 AM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
reachforthesun
'take me to where the kids drink'
detroit, mi
Male
great advice swboyd
12:24 PM on 02/24/12 
User Info.
hypa_dude
Memphis, TN
Male - 30 Years Old
I will be graduating with my Ph.D. in neuroscience in a few months. I was an electrical engineering undergrad and my project was on neocortical electrophysiology. I got a full stipend, insurance, and tuition coverage. let me know if anyone has any questions about being a graduate student in science.
04:10 PM on 02/24/12 
User Info.
suburbn_thrills
@thejenzink
New Jersey
Female - 25 Years Old
I just got accepted into University of Miami today.....my last choice of the 4 I applied to, but still nice to hear anyways!
04:13 PM on 02/24/12 
User Info.
suburbn_thrills
@thejenzink
New Jersey
Female - 25 Years Old
General advice: Don't pay for grad school unless you absolutely need to. Don't be afraid to go to a smaller institution if they give you money. That's what I did and I don't regret it one bit.

This is definitely my biggest hesitation. I don't feel as if I need to go, but I've had bad luck with the job hunt and am kind of just tired of waiting around for something to happen. Even though I don't think I need it, I do feel like it is something that would make a difference in my having a career I love vs. just a job....which, if true, is worth the time and money for me.
05:15 PM on 02/24/12 
User Info.
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
Chicago, IL
Male - 25 Years Old
This is definitely my biggest hesitation. I don't feel as if I need to go, but I've had bad luck with the job hunt and am kind of just tired of waiting around for something to happen. Even though I don't think I need it, I do feel like it is something that would make a difference in my having a career I love vs. just a job....which, if true, is worth the time and money for me.

What was your major in college and what would you want to go to grad school for? What kinds of jobs have you been looking for?

In the long run, grad school typically pays off depending on what you want to do. There are a lot of options to help you get through it.
09:07 AM on 02/25/12 
User Info.
Sp33dplay
No Avatar Selected
Marion, IN
Male
I plan on going to Grad School after I finish my under grad.

Ill be going for Marketing

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version