Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Follow-Up: UMG Has 'Backdoor' into YouTube

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/16/11)
The Verge is reporting that when Universal Music Group removed the video for "I Use Megaupload," they did so by using a backdoor into YouTube because "the music label has a special agreement with YouTube that allows it to directly remove content even when it doesn't infringe a copyright it holds." Ummm...

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
02:39 PM on 12/16/11
ETGsynth
IWillBuryYou&EverythingYouBelieveIn
User Info.
The fuck is that.
02:40 PM on 12/16/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
huh?
02:42 PM on 12/16/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
whoaaaa
02:42 PM on 12/16/11
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
but didn't they use DMCA to get it off of other sites aswell?

This is probably a good thing to be happening now, as it can be an example of why SOPA should not be passed.
02:43 PM on 12/16/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is news?

http://www.youtube.com/cvp_app

anyone can apply for one. just doesn't mean you'll get it. totally legitimate tool for content owners, and UMG seems to have abused it.
02:44 PM on 12/16/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
but didn't they use DMCA to get it off of other sites aswell?

This is probably a good thing to be happening now, as it can be an example of why SOPA should not be passed.
Nope. From the linked article:

You see, even though we all saw Megaupload's video repeatedly taken down and Tech News Today's news report censored as well, UMG lawyers claim that's the work of a "reference file" created when the original video was pulled, and that YouTube's automated removal process is responsible for all the other removals we saw.
02:46 PM on 12/16/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
this is news?

http://www.youtube.com/cvp_app

anyone can apply for one. just doesn't mean you'll get it. totally legitimate tool for content owners, and UMG seems to have abused it.
From my reading of that page it just submits the information to YouTube (and which provides YouTube with enough information to enable us to locate that material and on the subsequent page: If your application is approved, you will be given access to a tool that allows you to specify content for removal) using their tool, but not one that allows for them to pull any video they want on the site.

02:46 PM on 12/16/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
that doesn't seem right or a legitimate practice
02:48 PM on 12/16/11
NickHTL
User Info.
YOU GUYS: I'm sure Universal knows what they're doing. I have complete faith in the label.
02:48 PM on 12/16/11
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
Nope. From the linked article:

You see, even though we all saw Megaupload's video repeatedly taken down and Tech News Today's news report censored as well, UMG lawyers claim that's the work of a "reference file" created when the original video was pulled, and that YouTube's automated removal process is responsible for all the other removals we saw.
ahh. I didn't read this actual article, I had been reading other ones on the internet, but none of them mentioned that fact.
02:52 PM on 12/16/11
raptorz44
One Who Gets Away/NJ Success Story
User Info.
"Ummm..." was my instant reaction as well.
02:56 PM on 12/16/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
From my reading of that page it just submits the information to YouTube (and which provides YouTube with enough information to enable us to locate that material and on the subsequent page: If your application is approved, you will be given access to a tool that allows you to specify content for removal) using their tool, but not one that allows for them to pull any video they want on the site.

i understand what you're saying, and i agree with you that that is the idea behind it. I'm saying it was used improperly and someone at Youtube (if there's a vetting for marked files from trusted partners) probably missed it.
02:59 PM on 12/16/11
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
If the lawyers for UMG are lurking this thread, I would want to suggest to them to check out the link below hahaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
02:59 PM on 12/16/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Major labels can do whatever they want, this is news to who..?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests