|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Rise To Remain - 12.20.11
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
RISE TO REMAIN (Questions answered by Ben Tovey)
*New album CITY OF VULTURES out on January 24th
1. How did you get your band name?
Back in 2008 we got an offer to play Download Festival as Halide but we felt the name wasn't strong enough to make the most of the opportunity. After Joe and Pat joined the band we started to brainstorm ideas but nothing surfaced until a few days before Download at our warm-up show in Camden. Last minute, just about 2 seconds before hitting the stage, Joe got on the phone and called his friend to ask if we could use their old band name ( Rise To Remain). By this point we had to choose something. A bit rushed but it worked out great!
2. How did this band get started?
Me and Will met at high school in 2006 and decided to put Halide into motion. In 2007 we saw Austin at a UK unsigned show performing with his old band, The Oath, and asked him to join. From there we went on our debut UK tour and created a small buzz in the London underground scene which lead to our first Download offer. From there Joe and Pat joined and we gave the band a makeover, changed the name to RTR and the rest is history!
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura, Fear Factory, Shadows Fall, Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine, Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, Ill Niño, Limp Bizket, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, All That Remains... to name a few!
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Pantera - That would of been our dream tour. We love everything about this band, it would have been great to Jam with Dime (R.I.P brother!)
Killswitch Engage - We'd love to get the chance to share the stage with these lads! They're such a killer live band, plus Adam D is a joker.I'm sure we'd have good times!
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Good wholesome food with a healthy portion of veg, carbs and proteins. Petrol station pasties and sandwiches are the worst thing to live off! Driving and sitting down for long periods of time can make you lethargic. A meal with all the nutrition you need to keep your energy up is a rarity but the best thing to eat to put on a good show!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we shred and we have big cocks!
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Family, Friends and all the people we work with... Standard, I guess we'll just have to find out!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wish people would buy CD's more just because I miss the glory days of browsing through the massive Metal section of a Virgin Mega store or HMV. There are only a few big ones left now!!
10. Memorable tour experience?
Walking out on stage at Sonisphere France and hearing the scream!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Staying in touch with all the latest news in the US mainly...We'll all be on this everyday when we're out on tour next summer!
12. What is your favorite song to play?
“This Day Is Mine”
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Teleportation! So much travelling!!!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Just a RTR on three lads!!!!
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I love running long distance!
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Hell yeah! We got some radio play on major stations from Fearne Cotton and Zane Lowe! To hear that blaring out the Van speakers was immense!!! It's bringing our heavy sound to the masses.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Exercise and spend quality time with my girlfriend. Not very metal!!! ... Or is it!? Haha you asked...
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can do the whole acoustic singer songwriter thing. I jam that from time to time. Also I'm also an actor and a member of the National Youth Theatre.
05:17 AM on 12/25/11
These guys have a huge buzz in the UK right now, guess they''re close to unknown in the US.
06:44 PM on 12/26/11
yeah dude i know what you mean :) I'm in the UK
More From This Author