AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tegan and Sara - The Con Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.39
Musicianship 9.31
Lyrics 9.42
Production 9.64
Creativity 9.39
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.69
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Tegan and Sara - The Con

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (08/03/07)
Tegan and SaraThe Con
Release Date: July 24, 2007
Record Label: Sire/Vapor

Being in an indie folk/pop band usually draws a fair share of labels and/or stereotypes. When you add in the fact that band is fronted by twin sisters who are lesbians, well, the labels and stereotypes just pour on in. For the Canadian-born sisters, Tegan and Sara Quin, it would seem that the media would rather focus on their personal life rather than their music, which is a shame, because if you look through their back catalogue, you will find solid releases, including 2004’s So Jealous. And with the release of their fifth studio album The Con, the sisters hope to generate a new label: great songwriters.

Produced by Death Cab For Cutie’s Christopher Walla, The Con features contributions from a few popular names. Along with Walla playing various instruments throughout, Death Cab’s drummer Jason McGerr plays on each track, while AFI’s Hunter Burgan played bass on all of Tegan’s songs and former Weezer bassist Matt Sharp played on Sara’s tracks. And with all that we get an album that has variety yet remains cohesive throughout.

The vibe and mood of the album change with each track, which is evident early in the album. “Relief Next To Me” is carried by Sara’s forceful vocals during the chorus while faint guitars and keys steadily move behind her. The title track is an emotional rollercoaster, with franticly paced verses followed by huge vocals from Tegan. With moody keys, a deep drum beat, and buzzing guitar work from the Quin's, this is my favorite track on the album.

“Are You Ten Years Ago” is about how Tegan finds a new love and feels 15 all over again. The anxiety in the vocals and lyrics are complimented nicely by the heavy industrial/techno vibe of the song. The album’s first single, “Back In Your Head,” features poignant piano keys and the catchiest chorus of the entire album. Sara is on point vocally, singing to the top of her lungs “When I get a little scared, I run, run, run.” “Hop A Plane” is the poppiest track with a striking guitars and sweet bass work by Burgan, while “Soil, Soil” is a stripped down piano-backed ballad from Tegan.

With The Con starting off so well in the beginning, one would expect it to lose steam towards the end, but thanks to tracks like “Nineteen” and “Like O, Like h,” the second half is just as strong. Tegan reminiscences about lost love in “Nineteen,” a guitar-driven track with a soaring chorus, while dark vibes encompass “Like O, Like h” and “Dark Come Soon.”

The Con bleeds with such emotion that the listener automatically connects and falls in love with the Quin sisters. I’ve always been a sucker for “heart on sleeve” albums, and The Con is no exception. Each song is relatable, as they focus on heartbreak, insecurity, and love while being ambiguous about whom they are singing about. With members of Against Me!, The All-American Rejects, and Cancer Bats already some of their biggest fans, The Con is the perfect starting point for new listeners, as Tegan and Sara take the good from previous albums and expand on it, resulting in the best album they’ve ever written and one of the better albums of 2007.

9/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I Was Married
2. Relief Next To Me
3. The Con
4. Knife Going In
5. Are You Ten Years Ago
6. Back In Your Head
7. Hop A Plane
8. Soil, Soil
9. Burn Your Life Down
10. Nineteen
11. Floorplan
12. Like O, Like h
13. Dark Come Soon
14. Call It Off
Produced by: Christopher Walla

Tegan and Sara are:
Tegan Quin – vocals/guitars/keyboards
Sara Quin – vocals/guitars/keyboards

Additional contributions from:
Hunter Burgan – bass
Matt Sharp – bass
Christopher Walla – tiny guitars/cymbals/bass/organ/guitars
Ted Gowans – guitars/keyboards
Jason McGerr – drums
Kaki King – guitars/lap steel

Buy it now:

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
10:27 PM on 08/03/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
i've got a good friend who went to highschool with these girls. they were super good friends, but tegan and sarah chose music and my friend chose school, and i guess they fell apart. either way, i'm not a fan.

this new stuff sounds decent though.
06:47 AM on 08/04/07
Dr. Acula
www.twitter.com/ericflaris
User Info.
Good review Drew. One of my top albums of 07 fo'sho.
07:14 AM on 08/04/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I love this album. It is definitely up there as one of my favorites of the year so far, but I agree with your score and review because it is how I feel. Great Review Drew.
07:42 AM on 08/04/07
waltz_alone
KiKi Gaff
User Info.
this is such a good record. and live it is even more stellar

-k.
07:47 AM on 08/04/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Really pretty good stuff.

Isn't this their fifth album though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegan_and_Sara
08:00 AM on 08/04/07
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I think this album is great.
08:32 AM on 08/04/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
I need to hear this.
09:16 AM on 08/04/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
I guess I'm the lone member in the "do not like camp" then haha
09:30 AM on 08/04/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
actually, this would be alot better if Sara stuck too the songwriting.
09:56 AM on 08/04/07
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
This is their fifth studio album, from my understanding. Also, the intro to your review follows way to close to the article Alt Press wrote on them this month, with the whole "label" deal.

In my opinion, I'd tell newcomers to Tegan & Sara to check out So Jealous before The Con. I feel that album is a lot more accessible.
10:41 AM on 08/04/07
gnp8472
sever your leg please
User Info.
if Chris Walla produced and Jason McGerr did drum work, i need to check this out... ive never been a fan, but at good pair of drums and some stellar producing could change that.

nice review, drew
11:26 AM on 08/04/07
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
If their "label" shouldn't be a big deal, though, you probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
12:35 PM on 08/04/07
CircaEnder
act appalled
User Info.
This is their fifth studio album, from my understanding. Also, the intro to your review follows way to close to the article Alt Press wrote on them this month, with the whole "label" deal.

In my opinion, I'd tell newcomers to Tegan & Sara to check out So Jealous before The Con. I feel that album is a lot more accessible.

I agree, So Jealous is the easiest to get into out of the 5 albums. The con is amazing, it just takes more time to get into.
01:32 PM on 08/04/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Didn't even know they were in AltPress.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News