AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep Album Cover

As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
As Cities BurnCome Now Sleep
Record Label: Tooth & Nail / Solid State Records
Release Date: August 14, 2007

At first, Come Now Sleep is puzzling. After giant lineup changes and a breakup that never happened, the group should be afforded a little leeway. I don’t normally do this, and it’s not like I owe these guys anything. Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest wasn’t anything spectacular. If anything, it was energetic in the traditional sense of the word. Come Now Sleep matures in the boring sense of the word, like an aging metalhead. But even with the rock turned down and the Christianity turned up, As Cities Burn intrigue. Although, if you’re looking to headbutt your way through another Solid State release, you’ll be sorely mistaken.

Come Now Sleep will really take it out of you as I went through a whole slew of emotions. At first there was anger: “What is This???” Then there was confusion: grunt “Huh” scratch. Naturally I moved on to self-pity: “Why me?” A moment(s) of weakness brought lame wordplay, “Come now, sleep. Please?” Then I warmed up to my situation, I made the best of it. I stopped expecting things from Come Now Sleep and allowed myself to be surprised.

Don’t let such crazy ramblings detract from my point, Come Now Sleep takes many steps into the unknown and finds plenty of bright, shining light. Most noticeable of these new directions is the focus placed squarely on Cody Bonnette. He has taken over all vocal duties for As Cities Burn, and the emphasis has shifted to melodic singing. While alternating chugs and trembles of the guitars are a far cry from Son and its speedy instrumentals, “Empire” starts a theme of distortions over Bonnette’s voice that tends to annoy. See, as evident in the chorus, his amazingly average baritone needs very little help.

I touched on the Christian aspect of Come Now Sleep, but a review of this album wouldn’t be complete without a deeper look. “Clouds” begins with murmured, spoken word ramblings of people and their thoughts on God over a creepy guitar riff - on this site, we call that alienating your fanbase. Yet somehow it never feels like a force-feeding. It’s quite touching really, and easily transferable to whatever questions you might be lacking the answers to.

“New Sun” reminds that, in essence, Come Now Sleep is a debut. Whenever Bonette gears up for a hearty scream, static and other effects dilute him. The mellow-to-heavy aspect starts to become stale, and despite the strong lyrics, this track staggers. “Tides” begins with Bonette’s strongest vocal performance, but once the muffled screams of the chorus start, all positives are overshadowed. A drum solo by Aaron Lunsford is a nice change as it brings pounding snares and catchy rhythms, but by this point the formula is quite claustrophobic.

This review was intentionally mind-boggling. By design, you are to leave here disoriented and, above all, curious. I’ll say this for sure though, Bonnette will do just fine as the group’s leader. As Cities Burn made huge changes to their sound, and most of it works. Like some extremely pretentious, faith-based metaphor, Come Now Sleep confronts the listener with claims both believable and impossible. And me? I’m just your morally challenged preacher-man.

Recommended If You Like: Underoath, Dead Poetic, Psalm 23, Thrice, this movie

Let there be angst!www.myspace.com/ascitiesburn

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 120
08:20 PM on 08/06/07
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
Nice review. After hearing a few songs I have no expectations for this record, though I still listen to Son, I Love You At Your Darkest. I thought it was a great, passionate album and I do not claim to be a Christian by any means.
10:40 PM on 08/06/07
ZDillon
User Info.
This is a weak review. I may be biased because I love ACB, but you didn't really give a lot of details to back up your ratings. I thought that "Son, I Loved You..." was a great record. Yeah, it was screamo/post-hardcore, but it was done so well. It had some of the most passionate lyrics, interesting song structures and unique guitar work in the genre. Now I have yet to hear this record, but it sounds like you have a little too much against God to fairly review this.
10:53 PM on 08/06/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
This is a weak review. I may be biased because I love ACB, but you didn't really give a lot of details to back up your ratings. I thought that "Son, I Loved You..." was a great record. Yeah, it was screamo/post-hardcore, but it was done so well. It had some of the most passionate lyrics, interesting song structures and unique guitar work in the genre. Now I have yet to hear this record, but it sounds like you have a little too much against God to fairly review this.
i don't see too much anti-God at all.
11:03 PM on 08/06/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

1 joke about this website's usual response to Christian music makes me anti-God? Now, leaving my religious preferences completely out of this, I don't feel I was harsh at all. I believe Jesus, just like the rest of us, enjoyed a good laugh once in a while. Look at the lyrics rating for goodness sakes. And I pretty much touched on every aspect of the ratings system. I appreciate you skimming over the review, though.

Also, starting right about now, you can stream the whole album at their myspace. So let me know how big of a fool I am.
11:07 PM on 08/06/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
i hate streaming albums on myspace.
01:38 AM on 08/07/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
1 joke about this website's usual response to Christian music makes me anti-God? Now, leaving my religious preferences completely out of this, I don't feel I was harsh at all. I believe Jesus, just like the rest of us, enjoyed a good laugh once in a while. Look at the lyrics rating for goodness sakes. And I pretty much touched on every aspect of the ratings system. I appreciate you skimming over the review, though.

Also, starting right about now, you can stream the whole album at their myspace. So let me know how big of a fool I am.

So you do you worship Satan now too?!

ilu.
05:07 AM on 08/07/07
AshtonThomas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i hate streaming albums on myspace.

Its the worst thing ever. I do it strictly out of curiosity, but I never judge what an album is going to be like from the "listening party" on myspace.
05:11 AM on 08/07/07
AshtonThomas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i don't see too much anti-God at all.

Definitely wouldnt call it a Anti-god review. The bible does say that "the word will sound like foolishness to someone who is not saved". So its only natural that people wont really understand or relate to what the guys in ACB write about. Blake at least does a good job at respecting their creativeness of linking well thought out bible references to their music......too bad I cant say the same for some bands (see Underoath).
05:21 AM on 08/07/07
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
weak band.
weak review.
05:56 AM on 08/07/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.

The reason no one knows that Jesus joked all the time is because the only "accepted" documents about Jesus' life are those in the bible. I mean, it's not a very good story if every other sentence was:

"Then Jesus said a joke," or, "Then Jesus laughed hysterically. He was just joking around."

It might be fun and cool for a while, but it surely doesn't make people want to read it. And plus, it doesn't give Christians fuel to put on the religious fires.

What makes a more effective story, this or the original:

1Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias), 2and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick and heard his amazing jokes. 3Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples. He said something really funny as they all gathered. 4The Jewish Passover Feast was near. 5When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?" 6He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do, and had to turn away to keep from snickering.
14After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, "Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world." 15Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself. While he was there he came up with a multitude of one-liners.
06:06 AM on 08/07/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Uh oh...this is going to be one of those threads.
06:26 AM on 08/07/07
IcedOpethBlind
User Info.
im thinking this will be much better than a 72%...
06:52 AM on 08/07/07
DanceJamesDance
Elitist- Cause Your Music Sucks
User Info.
Please do not make this into a Jesus/Bible argument thread. This doesn't need to be done. He isn't anti-God and if he is it is his choice. This is a music site so just take his review for what it is.
07:03 AM on 08/07/07
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm scared of change, but I'll give it a listen

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles