AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Scissors For Lefty - Underhanded Romance Album Cover

Scissors For Lefty - Underhanded Romance

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Scissors For LeftyUnderhanded Romance
Record Label: Eenie Meenie Records
Release Date: June 12, 2007

Some records just make me feel trendy. I call this the “fish out of water” effect. Scissors For Lefty’s Underhanded Romance, with its dancey mix of indie rock and indie-pop, is undeniably hip. It’s the guy in tight jeans and striped shirts I mock openly but oh-so-secretly long to be. He’s read way more books than me and has an appreciation for most things ending in –latte. Curse these genes! Curse these jeans!

The vibe throughout Underhanded Romance is rightfully laid back, as one listen to the boisterous shouts and parlor piano of “Mama Your Boys Will Find A Home” makes this point very clear. Oh yeah, it has whistling. You all know how my knees go weak when I hear whistling. And whether the group is flirting with retro twee (“Got Your Moments”) or getting funky with electronics (“Lay Down Your Weapons”), Underhanded Romance begs the listener to turn on a strobe light and cut some freakin’ rug.

Scissors For Lefty isn’t from England, but its members do the jagged guitars and mesmerizing synths better than many of the Queen’s finest. “X’s Are Forever” quiets and slows the pace, while Bryan Garza sounds extremely foreign. His staccato delivery of, “O, V, E, R we are / but never through / X’s are forever baby / O, V, E, R, we are / I still love you,” on top of the light chord progression makes for a delicate breakup song. “Save It Cory” is a fine example of the dichotomy within songs. The high-pitched harmonizing and excitable drums of the chorus finally overtake the sweetly soft verses to great effect. It’s not quite a two-for-one deal, but these tracks are far from stagnant.

Bryan Garza’s voice is finicky and animated. He shies far away from the normal polish of today’s indie rock. Post-punkish “Nickles And Dimes” might have been recorded in a New York subway station, for example. Garza channels a lounge singer on “Got Your Moments.” Well, he’s a very sleep-deprived lounge singer. Honestly, the term indie rock doesn’t do Underhanded Romance justice. Scissors For Lefty jumps from each influence as quickly as the listener can identify them. And if you don’t care about the large amount of genres represented, simply enjoy the many handclap sections.

Underhanded Romance screams summer. It might lack fancy, big-worded political discussions, but there is plenty to gab about with friends. Here’s to hoping your “round table” goes better than mine:

Trish: “Is this The Beatles? I thought they were dead.”
Me: “Yeah, how’d you know?”
Trish: “All these British bands sound the same. I can almost picture their gross teeth.”
Me: “I bet MIMS is on right now. Let’s try the radio.”
Trish: Even better, Daughtry!”

Recommended If You Like: Menomena, The Strokes, being asymmetrical, Brave Rifles, drunken karaoke

This doesn't taste anything like shnozberrieswww.myspace.com/scissorsforlefty

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:36 AM on 08/08/07
jasoneyeball
such a registered user
User Info.
Not only is this record catchy as hell, it was also made by some of the most honest and amazing dudes I've ever met. I hope more people notice this band right quick.
11:24 AM on 08/08/07
radio napalm
User Info.
seriously.. such a good fucking album. i suggest everyone checks them out.
11:55 AM on 08/08/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
God, dude. I LOLed at some of your lines in this review. I definitely think this is right up my alley.
01:18 PM on 08/08/07
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
These guys played at my school, I went on a whim not even knowing who I was seeing. Best 2 bucks I ever spent, the show was fun as hell. This cd is great, you give lots of positives, but give it a 78%, hmm, I'd say it's deserving of at least an 85%.
01:29 PM on 08/08/07
radio napalm
User Info.
These guys played at my school, I went on a whim not even knowing who I was seeing. Best 2 bucks I ever spent, the show was fun as hell. This cd is great, you give lots of positives, but give it a 78%, hmm, I'd say it's deserving of at least an 85%.

agreed. i'm still puzzled at the 78%
01:48 PM on 08/08/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
reviewer tilt: 8.25

always keep your eye on the reviewer tilt!
08:16 PM on 08/09/07
theshareef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome music. :) I haven't had a musically induced smile like this since I'm From Barcelona popped up.
06:42 PM on 08/13/07
punk_rock609
User Info.
dude
this album fucking rocks
im gonan get it ASAP
i listened to some of it at a friends
wow
its so rad!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates