AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lesbians on Ecstasy - We Know You Know Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 6.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Lesbians on Ecstasy - We Know You Know

Reviewed by: average_jane (08/08/07)
Lesbians on Ecstasy - We Know You Know
Label: Alien8 Recordings
Release Date: April 4, 2007

What if the Indigo Girls suddenly decided that they loved electronica and headed to the dancefloor? You'd get Lesbians on Ecstasy and for once, a band's name that tells you precisely what to expect.

Now, one might think that this record would be total garbage, for exactly the reasons I've just stated in the sentences above. Instead, it's a hand clapping, foot stomping good time. The girls in the band draw heavily from 1970s disco and dance music with everything from the album art, to the vocals, to the programmed beats.

The Montreal quartet is fronted by a woman who calls herself "Fruity Frankie." Her voice, while rather monotone, acts as a clarion call to any and all women who just want to love and dance. She takes on a much darker tone in "Sedition," but any fan of the Faint (provided they have very liberal leanings) will take to this track immediately. It's hypnotizing in a way, and even with lyrics like ‘We are lesbians / We're creeping down the stairs,’ you'll probably want to sway along with the beats.

The lyrical content never veers from the obvious topic, which does become tiresome after a bit. However, the heavily produced music and vocals keep the listener hooked and wanting to see just how much farther this band is going to push it. And push it they do. As I've said, every song is about lesbians... and most of them are about how many lesbians there are and how they are taking over. It's all done in good fun though.

The most upbeat track is "Party Time (A Womyn's Love)," in which Fruity Frankie is singing so quickly she’s practically rapping. The electric beats still give the song a black undertone though.

I suppose I was looking for a sunnier album than We Know You Know turned out to be. Nevertheless, it's still a record that will shake the dancehalls, provided that people are willing to open their minds enough to let in these crazy Canadians. Until then, I'm sure plenty of people will make Lesbians on Ecstasy their guilty pleasure.

Tracklisting01. Sisters in the Struggle *
02. Sedition
03. The Cold Touch of Leather
04. Victoria's Secret
05. We Won't Give It Back
06. Party Time (A Womyn's Luv) *
07. Is This the Way?
08. Alone In Madness
09. It's Practically Freedom
10. Mortified

* - standout tracks

For fans ofkd lang, The Faint, Indigo Girls

Website | Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
10:37 AM on 12/14/07
X__XSaMX__X
Punk Rock Ninja
User Info.
It sounds like a fun cd to listen to:-D . I'm gonna check it out, DEFINATELT!!!!!!!!!

Good Review
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests