Pimping and downloading now.
03:17 PM on 08/12/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I realize what I am about to say will probably piss a lot of people off, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way. I don’t really care what bridges I burn, because clearly these bridges were never bridges at all.

On behalf of everyone who was cut from this “comp” and the rest of the AP forum members, I am calling you out Vince. Look, I like you, and I think overall you are a good guy, but I severely disagree with how you did this.

Let me first say I am NOT going to criticize the music on this “comp”, because it isn’t about that. People have different tastes and musical vision. I am not attacking anyone’s work represented on this “comp”.

What I am saying is that this was gone about completely wrong. Instead of being a representation of what is going on here on this website, it is instead a collection of Vince’s personal friends and favorites.

I basically have two main points behind what I am saying:

1. If you feel so bad about cutting what you claim to be over 100 artists, why are ANY users/members from the last comp even on here? I am sure no feelings would be hurt if you said this was only open to people who were not featured before. No one should have been given a slot on this until you were sure you didn’t have enough to fill it up with new bands/groups/users. As it stands now, roughly HALF of this “comp” is composed of people who were also on the last one. Bogus.

2. If so many people had to be cut, why limit the “comp” to 20? After all, it is a download. Most people will download, listen to it, and keep what they like and delete the rest. It doesn’t make any sense to limit it. It could have very easily been 30 songs, and people wouldn’t have thought any less of it.

I am glad people are excited about this, but quite frankly it was gone about all wrong and should NOT be titled what it is, because it is far from being representative of this forum and the people here.

I guess normally this wouldn’t matter, because we could put stuff like this together any time we want. But the bottom line is there are a lot of people that wanted to submit a track and have it included on something that makes the front page for a week, and got cut. It just seems shady to offer this up, and then select songs from a very large number of the same users as the last one. I thought the whole point of the new comps was to give more people a chance to get some exposure and share what they have created, but apparently it doesn’t work that way.

All of that being said, to all the artists on here, I am looking forward to hearing this, and keep on making music. It’s what we live and die by.

I wanted to go ahead and say that Vince promised me a spot on this before he even released the first one. I wanted the Chemist to on the last one but it was too late (don't get me wrong, I was very flattered that he chose my solo work). I wouldn't consider me and Vince very good friends at all. We just know eachother and respect eachother through this site. So I really don't feel he only chose his friends or only people he knew. There are a lot of new users that were placed on this comp. At least users I've never talked to before.

The comp is a collection of music from the member's of ap.net. I think the title works just fine. I understand where you're coming from but I trust Vince was not really bias at all when choosing these songs. If you'd like to make your own comp with other users here, that would be great. I would listen to it and I'm sure there will be great music on it.
03:37 PM on 08/12/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
your song is fuckin awesome. really solid

Thank you sir. I haven't heard your track yet but I liked the last one. I won't be able to listen to this till later tonight. I'm really excited to hear how this sounds.
03:42 PM on 08/12/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I do recall some discussion of your band and this particular comp before. Truth be told I think your band is one of the best and most creative of the forum members bands. If you guys ever get out to AZ, I will make sure to help you out with a show and a place to stay if you need it.

Reall all I can say is I flat out disagree with you there. No real way to prove either of us right though.

Thank you very much dude! I don't even know any other way to respond to that haha. We'll definitely be heading your way in January/February!

I'm on A06 right now. This comp has been near perfect for me except for one song that I couldn't finish listening to...weird that the song from one of the more famous bands on this site is the one I don't like

hahahahaha I've heard the similar things from others before.
03:53 PM on 08/12/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
You guys have a lot of talent, I'm just not into the screaming at all

Oh its ok, I don't take offense to it at all. I just find it hilarious because I can picture people sitting there and thinking "Okay, starting out cool" then they hear "Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! " and all the sudden they're like "What the fuck is this shit. God damn, it makes want to kill myself.".
04:05 PM on 08/12/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I threw this thing blindly on shuffle as I cleaned my room and I've got to say, this is 1000000x better than the last one. I have no clue who was who so tonight, I'm going to listen to it in its entirety and give praise to each one of you individually because these songs that I've heard so far are just incredibly bursting with talent.

Oh, and thank you all for for the nice words about tcvstc. I'm sure the guys will see this and be just as excited and thankful as I am. Now we have an awesome comp to listen to on the road next month :)
01:30 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I'm now listening to it in order and I have to say, The Winter Mission are fucking BADASS!!! I loving all of it really. I had no idea.
02:21 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Belts are pretty fucking awesome.
09:38 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
The Chemist vs The Computer - Coasting Towards The Tide, Not The Ladder

Obscure titles aside, there is one thing that this band excells at. And that is everything. Switching between melodic vocal acrobatics to gutteral screams that blur the lines between subtle beauty and violent passion, the same contrast can be observed between the dynamic and dramatic fret work on display and the convulsing heart of the drums, always present as the firm spine of this workhorse of a band. I suggest that the battle between The Chemist and The Computer is one well worth watching

Just wanted to say that after listening to this comp several times now. You're song is by far my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love all the songs to some extent but your's is a real gem amongst all the others.
10:21 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Really?

That is a pretty increadible thing to hear man...much love and respect

Yeah dude. It stands out from the rest. I love the atmosphere it creates.
10:57 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
The Chemist are a bunch of assholes and love hearing ourselves. What did we do in Atlantic City? Get drunk and listen to Loki hahahaha.
11:25 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
That's pretty much the most fantastic thing I've heard today.
How can I get my hands on your EP?

IM me in about ten minutes. I'm ripping it to my computer right now because I'm tired of people asking me where to get it and tell them at a show. If we had some good distro, we'd be selling a shitload. It costs $30 to put our stuff on iTunes but none of us have the money to spend on that haha. The only thing we make is enough money to put gas in our van (which is expensive!!).
11:40 AM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Understandable.
Thanks so much!

Not a problem.

Yeah. Unless they make you crap your pants

Already did.

shit dude, it only takes 30 bucks? i'll front you 30 bucks and you can pay me when you guys are touring with glassjaw.

Made a slight correction there

You guys are silly.
09:36 PM on 08/13/07 
User Info.
oldwirehands
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
There's only one reason why the staff didn't sticky the news post or promoted it as much as the last one.

TCvsTC

Someone bump that petition back up hahaha. Tate, if you ever ban me for whatever reason (I really don't cause problems), please make an official press statement saying "Its because he was in that scientist computer band.". That would be my only request and would greatly humor me. I would print that quote out and tape it to my amp or somewhere in our van.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos